Old 02-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #1  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Angry general emo rant, move along, nothing to see here...

The lowest weight I've gotten down to is 229.2. As soon as I hit a new low, I update my signature.

This morning, my weight is all the way back up to 233.4. I've been fluctuation between 1-5 pounds above my lowest weight all this week. I know I've been hitting my calorie mark and exercising, so this is totally water retention or something else.

I've been progressively lifting heavier and heavier weights, which could be a factor (I'm told DOMS is associated with water retention). I've also had two fancy restaurant meals this week. While the menu items where healthy, I have no idea how much sodium was used.

This morning is my weight watchers meeting. I'm tempted to skip it because I absolutely hate to weigh in there when I'm going to be up, even when I know it isn't because of bad food choices. Its silly, but I feel like the receptionist would think I've pigged out showing up with a 4 pound gain this week.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Matt, I know what you mean, but we here know that that weight has nothing to do with you ummm, pigging out. We know it and more importantly YOU know it. When you know there's nothing that you've done to "cause" this uppage, you really can't let it get to you - as hard as that may be.

I think you should go to that meeting, just so that you keep the continuity going. Giving yourself permission to skip this time, may just make it easier to skip it in the future and then it will no longer be doing the same thing for you - providing you with that all important accountability.

Walk in there with your head held high. Just think how you'll wow em' next week when that water weight is gone AND a few related friends...
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

i agree with rockinrobin,

keeping consistency even when it doesn't really suit you will help you keep on track! and yes, damn those restaurant meals, the ARE full in sodium.
you know it, they don't have to take your word, but you know it and that's what important.

it's gonna make next week all the sweeter when you have a big drop!

xx
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #4  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Matt, you should go to the meeting. You are eating healthy and exercising.
It helps going to the meetings. Woman have to deal with gaining weight around the TOM. So now lifting weights is like your TOM. Enjoy the meeting!
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

don't skip it but don't take it to heart either. You know why it's up, and it's not about doing the wrong thing or making bad choices or backsliding. And you'll have the good numbers very soon.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #6  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

Definately go. I just went through a similar holding pattern that lasted 2 1/2 weeks and today it broke. Yours will too. It has to.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #7  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

DOMS is related to water retention. I think men in general have larger normal swings than women because thier bodies are just bigger. You have more muscle that holds in fluids and a larger digestive tract. My husband seems to fluctuate like that normally. I would imagine you do too, but weight loss muddies that a bit. WW (and most weight loss programs) are so female focused that I think they can lose sight of what's normal for men. If I went up 4lbs in one week, that would be one **** of a TOM week or most likely I pigged out and at least half of it was sodium. For you, I could easily see it as what you say. I would hope the receptionist doesn't judge like that, especially you! Seriously, you're not exactly a week 3 participant here. I am sure she knows you are doing the right things. I would go and weigh and then next week when you start to see some changes, it will that much better.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Matt - remember that every time you step on the scale - it is that moment in time that takes into account food eaten, energy exerted, sodium, water, hormones and much more. You KNOW that you've been on your plan and not eaten enough for that big gain.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #9  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

well, the meetings are for you and support with your weight loss efforts, use them to your best advantage.

I'd imagine they've seen every up and down with people and don't want to judge anyone, whatever the reason for a gain. Honestly, you've done such an amazing job with your weight loss, you should keep that in mind, too.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I also wouldn't skip the weigh-in, because I wouldn't want to miss the super-awesome drop the following week.

Believe me, the weight-recorder won't blink an eye at a 4 lb gain, they've seen much, much worse. One week every month (female stuff) I gain 8 to 10 lbs in water retention, always have. The weight-recorders were never rude, but I could tell some were skeptical of my "excuse" until they saw the 15 lb loss the next week.

As a male, you can't blame hormones (well you could, and it might be good for a laugh if you try), but as you've mentioned there are other factors that contribute to water-retention weight gain (normal, and inevitable). You would be unusual if you didn't have occasional water-retention gains.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-27-2010 at 10:54 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #11  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Doesn't muscle weigh more that fat? Hang your head high Matt...you are awesome!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Matt. Go to the meeting. Obviously you are a weight loss pro, but obviously even you need a gentle reminder from time to time. I also lower my ticker weight as soon as I see a lower number, which means I have grown used to see the eventual bump back-- and yet, that number still goes lower. Getting the bump on record will just be an excuse for a bigger loss next time.

You rock and don't forget it.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Matt, you are doing it right. Don't let the scale throw you.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #14  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
You rock and don't forget it.
I second that! Hang in there, Matt .
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #15  

Height: 5'5"

I just looked at how much weight you have lost, you are AWESOME! What a fantastic job you are doing. I too would go to that meeting. Like others have said, women are used to seeing the numbers go up and down, I know for men it's usually just a straight course down.

I have no doubt whatsoever you will continue to lose and meet your goals.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote