WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/240/180

Height: 5'6

Default low fat? Low sugar? I'm confused, not sure what I need

Hello, I am wondering when buying certain things at the grocery store, should I be looking for fat free? sugar free? For instance, coffee creamer, salad dressings,etc.
I am going to start back on weight watchers, on my own, with all the info, books, slider, and points counter, given to me by a co-worker,(I can't afford meetings, or online) so I'm not too sure about how to grocery shop.
I tried about a month ago, and lost 10 pounds, but stopped, and gained it all back!
I'm not too sure if i should just follow my points, or would it be better in the long run to start off, watching fat and sugar as well?
Thanks for any info!
rainyinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #2  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

I try to stick to the following:

meats: fresh, frozen, or canned. No added ingredients
vegetables/legumes: fresh, frozen, or canned. No added ingredients
fats: fish oil, olive oil, coconut oil
eggs: whole or whites
fruits: fresh only. usually only on days before or after I'm very active
herbs and spices

I shop the perimeter of the grocery stores (with the exceptions of the spice an beverage aisles).
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #3  

I suggest you limit the amount of FAT FREE and SUGAR FREE products you comsume.

Fat free - you NEED fat. Buy regular dairy, or maybe reduced fat if you are really worried, but please don't do the fat free. Fat free products are heavily processed to remove the fat. That means added chemicals and often added sugar, to make up for the taste.

Sugar free - added chemicals, and often the fake sugar is sugar alcohols, which aren't really calorie free, as different people can process them for energy to varying extents. Also, there is a lot of controversy over the safety of artificial sweeteners, and many people are adversely affected by them, anywhere from general malaise to bad headaches.

Like the previous poster, shop the store perimeter. Foods in their most natural form are the most healthy, as they have the most of their natural nutrients and the least additives. Don't avoid fats, they are important. A fat-free diet is not such a great idea and will hinder weightloss somewhere down the line.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote