Old 02-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Default Re-setting the numbers?

I am still trying to deal with coordinating my new scale with my old numbers.

I haven't completely decided but I'm close to going ahead and doing a reset this weekend. That would mean switching over to using my new scale only, instead of making myself nuts jumping back and forth between the two, which I'm still doing every morning. The new scale definitely seems more accurate, shows less fluctuation and has the benefit of measuring in .2 increments. It's quite a bit higher than the old scale, which puts it more in line with my doctor's office, so that also seems like it's more accurate overall.

It would also mean changing my tickers to a higher start weight so that I'd still have the same amount of loss to date, but my current weight would match up with the new scale. The major downside is that I'd be back in the 230s, so having to fight my way back down into the 220s again, and be that much further away from Onederland. I'd also have a longer total journey because I'd still want to get down to the same final goal weight, but that would now be about 6-7 lbs more to get there.

I'm definitely regretting not just going out and getting a new scale right when I decided to start!!

Any thoughts, opinions, experience?
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #2  

When I moved out of my parents house I bought myself a new scale that weighs me 2 lbs higher and also has .2 lb increments.

I left my start weight the same. I mean, over 100lb to lose, 2lb isn't gonna make a difference.

I didn't change my ticker thingy either, just resume changing it when the numbers came down to match it and then continued to lower. It was a bit annoying, as I was on the verge of onderland at the time, but I did it anyway,

Unless you hit a long plateau or start creeping up, you can probably do that. You'll still be in the 220's, you wont feel like you "gained" even though you actually didn't, and you will switch seemlessly to a new scale.

And when you want to feel "skinny", pull out the old scale! I do that sometimes when I visit my parents house.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Ugh. The whole scale thing is stressful. I had to buy not one but TWO new scales before I got one that was reliable, but in the end, it was just one less thing to stress about.

Go ahead and reset. It will be hard for a few days, but then you'll get used to it, and believe me, it's better than hopping on and off different scales!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #4  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Yeah, I'd go ahead and just reset and bite the bullet by "gaining" the weight now.

I know it sucks to see a higher number, but you know it is the result of a different measurement tool and not a real weight gain.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #5  
Good things happen.

Height: 5' 4"

Another option is to reset the scale and change the ticker to show pounds lost instead of weight. That way you don't see 230's again every time you look at the boards - instead you see how far you've come!
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #6  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I'd go ahead and reset. You know you didn't actually gain weight and since the new scale is more accurate when you do get back to the 220s and then to onederland and goal, you'll know you are REALLY there. If the old scale was always inaccurate I would definitely do the start weight change, because if you got your current start weight from an inaccurate scale then it's wrong anyhow.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #7  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, reset and go from there. No need for the stress!

The scale I started on was *gulp* almost 20 pounds off so I thought I weighed much less than I actually did. It wasn't digital, but instead had the needle that would spin around to your weight and a tiny shift could change significantly change the number. Terrible. So I got a very accurate digital scale and I did adjust my numbers once I knew the truth. It was pretty disheartening, but I just accepted the new numbers and marched forward.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Up until a few weeks ago , I was weighing at a friend's, Her scale weighed me 4 lbs lighter than the one I just bought...even full clothed... and in shoes.
I just started going by the new one anyway...it's a tool, Peanuts. I vote for switching.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #9  

Thanks everyone!! I was definitely leaning towards making the "gain" and getting it over with, but needed the reality check to make sure I wasn't nuts! lol!

Serendipity, I liked your idea a lot, but decided that I do need to see the weight number and not just the loss number, because I want to be able to be motivated by making it into a new decade, and eventually, a new century!

So I'll enjoy my 226 for another couple of days and then change everything on Saturday, when I have more time to play around with all of it.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #10  

JustSharing -

20 lbs?? ouch!! Ok, now I won't feel so bad! I think it's be going back up to something around 233-234 but some of that is also some gain and water from a bad week (but may that's not so bad, because I'll hopefully start to see progress down more quickly too)

but you are doing great, so that didn't seem to hold you back, so I know I can keep on going too!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Since I injured my foot I"ve had to wear an ankle brace - so I must weigh with shoes on and this honkin brace. At first I was upset -a but, really - the scale tells you where you are at a moment in time and in the long run it doesn't matter what exactly that number says - it's a jumping point to see if you go up or down.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #12  

So I've been doing all these calculations in my head to see if I could figure out the difference between Old Scale and New Scale and come up with the right difference to calculate my starting weight on the New Scale. But part of the problem is that Old Scale is very inconsistent. I can get on and off 5 times and get 5 different numbers. Not that I recommend that, of course! lol!

So I've decided to make it easy on myself - whatever New Scale says tomorrow, I'll add 30 lbs to that and consider it my start weight, and keep going from there.

I will be sad to see the 220s go away again, but I won't be too far out of them and I plan to be back there VERY soon! And I think it only changes my goal for my 2nd 10% by about .5 lb, so no big deal there. The only drawback is for the decades and getting into Onederland, but this way, I'll know I'm REALLY there when I get there!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #13  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I agree with what you are doing. It makes the most sense! It will happen - you will get right back where you were!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #14  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

The nice thing is although it sucks to see the # change you know in your heart it's not that you gained weight. My old scale sucked too and had that step on 5 times and take the middle weight thing going on. Luckily it seemed my new scale was only 1lb more so I just left my #'s as is. When you're losing 150lbs 1 pound in either direction means very little.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 02-26-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #15  

Yeah, if it had been just a pound or two, I probably wouldn't have worried about it, and just rode out the week or two to catch up. But depending on Old Scale's mood, New Scale has been anywhere from about 2 to 6 lbs higher.

And I did actually gain some this week, although it's mostly TOM weight. So I'm kind of giving myself a little break, in that I'm still giving myself credit for 30 lbs lost, when it's technically a little less right now. But I figure that's a reasonable trade off for going back into the 230s! lol! I know that extra will be gone soon enough to not worry about.