Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Help! Uber can't concentrate.

Am I the only one this happens to?

Right now, I'm closing in on a huge and really stressful deadline. So I'm thinking a lot about work.

So tonight, I ate: 16 black olives, .25 oz of cheese, most of an orange, about 40 grams of bread in two 20 gram servings. 3 sugar free jellos... that was just me nibbling. I also ate breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Not at all like me.

I feel like I'm having trouble keeping my plan front and center enough in my brain, and I'm doing some of my old grazing behaviors. UGH...

I just finished a no weight loss week, and but I figured I was due for a whoosh, but all this nibble, nibble, nibble doesn't feel right.

So frustrated with myself! I feel like it's just a hop skip and a jump from compulsively eating three sugar free jellos, to compulsively eating something I REALLY DON'T WANT to eat.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #2  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Uber, I don't know if I'm an expert on this, but I also have a deadline-driven job, and as a director it is occasionally (fortunately, not always) *very* stressful.

I got seriously derailed last fall by a bad deadline and I would hate to see that happen to you!

Don't feel frustrated with yourself...it'll just add stress. I can think of a few things to do...perhaps one will work for you, perhaps not. One would be to find a non-food stress relief mechanism (I read); find a food substitute (sugar-free gum?); or plan for the snackies with prepared portions that you can eat guilt-free.

Come see us when you need us!!
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Oh goodness, my severe procrastination tendencies are closely tied to my eating issues. If I was taking a break to eat, then I could hold off doing whatever I was supposed to be doing. As a kid I'd put off my homework to snack (and snack and snack and snack). In college, I would make a run to a fast food place to put off writing term papers in the middle of the night. As an adult, I would take unnecessary breaks at work to go to the vending machine when faced with stuff I didn't want to work on. Procrastination and grazing are permanently linked in my brain. I have to consciously fight the impulse.

So you are by no means alone! And for what it's worth, the urge to nibble is strongest for me when I have a weak loss week. You'd think it would make me want to buckle down to avoid a second bad week, but noooooo.... It makes me want to gorge.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 02-25-2010 at 12:16 AM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm in a deadline-driven field also, so I know what you mean. I don't use food to procrastinate--I have lots of other tricks for that! But I do tend to head for food when I hit a roadblock--like I can't figure out how to fix something, or can't think of the right words I need. Then I tend to wander into the kitchen. Of course, the answer is NOT in the kitchen!

I think you've done well with sticking to the foods you have--and obviously you're up against an old habit!

I've found that hot drinks are a good substitute for snacking on food--maybe you could try that. Decaf tea is a good choice for me.

Another possibility is to give yourself a ten-minute break to go for a walk or do some deep knee bends or jumping jacks or punches, or some other type of physical exercise. This helps offset stress a lot.

Good luck, Uber! Hang in there!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

At least you're nibbling on good things. When I get the nibbles I head for salt and chocolate. I may stare at an apple or an orange, but it isn't what I go for.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #6  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

OMGoodness I feel like this thread is me talking! I am a procrastinator and I too have many major deadlines! And I hate that feeling of wanting to eat to cover up the stress feelings! ARRGGGHHHH!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #7  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Yup! That's me, too! I keep easy to eat, healthy food handy at home and at work, so when I do get the urge to eat something constantly, it's a no-damage food. I give in to the urges with a big bag of baby carrots or whatever and a little while later I realize that I am not that hungry and go on to other methods of procrastination!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
Oh goodness, my severe procrastination tendencies are closely tied to my eating issues. If I was taking a break to eat, then I could hold off doing whatever I was supposed to be doing. As a kid I'd put off my homework to snack (and snack and snack and snack). In college, I would make a run to a fast food place to put off writing term papers in the middle of the night. As an adult, I would take unnecessary breaks at work to go to the vending machine when faced with stuff I didn't want to work on. Procrastination and grazing are permanently linked in my brain. I have to consciously fight the impulse.

So you are by no means alone! And for what it's worth, the urge to nibble is strongest for me when I have a weak loss week. You'd think it would make me want to buckle down to avoid a second bad week, but noooooo.... It makes me want to gorge.
CC thanks so much for posting this! I had never really thought about it exactly like this before, but this is ME in a nutshell!! I have ALWAYS eaten to combat my natural tendency to procrastinate.... I have made those same fast food runs and work breaks. I had never really realized it until now, but procrastination and grazing are permanently linked for me too!

Oddly enough, ever since I've gotten good about diet and exercise, I've lost some of my iron will to work. Somehow I'm going to have to learn to do both.

I appreciate the insight. And I'm glad to know that others feel the same way.

Both hot beverages and sugar free gum are in my arsenal. I'm going to remind myself to use both.

Have vowed that today nothing will go in my mouth that was not planned in advance.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote