Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 09:30 AM   #1  
Must Shrink.

Default Favourite Clothing items...

What's your favourite 5 clothing items??? New or old, comfort or formal....

At this time (seems to change often) my favourite 5 articles of clothing are:

-Denim jeans, bargain from the Gap, pre-faded.
-old black sweater, tiny, from a used clothing store. I wear it over t-shirts.
-new lounging fleece pants John bought me for Yule.
-black Roots boots I bought 4 years ago, finally wearing through the leather, but I love them. Purchased with $ I earned from selling my first pictures...
-denim jacket I bought when I was 17 from a punk store named Tribe in toronto... it was ancient when I bought it for $5 then, full of holes... well, I kept it all those years, and it fits again. It drives my kids crazy when I wear it I think.

Lois
Old 01-15-2003, 10:24 AM   #2  
Is it Friday yet?

Lois! Good to see you again!!!

Fun question...

5 favorite pieces of clothes ~

Huge comfy 3x baby blue 3/4 sleeve tee-shirt (pj's top)
moss green channile sweater
mink stole that was my Grandma's (I don't wear it though)
my black long jacket (a la X-Files)
any and all of my multitude of clothes that I bought my last trip to Disneyland (which I will be able to wear again SOON)

Terri
Old 01-15-2003, 12:23 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Um -
- royal blue Pantsuit
- old faded denim shirt
- purple hooded winter coat with the fur trim
- black furry slippers
- long black crushed-velvet skirt

Maybe I should put them all on and make a fashion statment - not that anybody in Delta would notice.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:54 PM   #4  

Default Oooooo yeah baby

Nothing gets me excited like a discussion on clothes or makeup! LOL.

Here are my five current faves:

-knee high black boots from Cathy Jean. I've had them three years and wear them constantly, I love them because they actually fit my calves!

-denim blazer bought at the Buffalo Exchange for $11.

-low rise camel colored thin wale corduroys (L.E.I.) - these
actually make my butt look good.

-black leather jacket. It's 4 years old and just starting to
get that "beat up" look and is soft and comfortable.

-black flat-front pants from The Limited. At around $50,
more than I usually pay, but these look great on
and go with EVERYTHING. They also tend to run a little
big so I love wearing the size 8, hee hee.

Sabrina, the clothing whore.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:42 PM   #5  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

I love my new long black jacket.
Can't wait until I would look good in a short skirt .
My new jeans hubby got me for Xmas, they are so comfortable and look good on me too, also my new cream color turtleneck he got me.
Desperately want to get a pair of knee high boots and will, when my calves are a little smaller.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:47 PM   #6  
a brave new me...

Angry OHOH...

I've been having horrible clothing trauma lately as most of my clothes are becoming too big and the others are too small. I am entering into that "never never" land of clothing... stuck in between the plus sizes and the misses sizes. What are those stupid designers thinking? There is clearly a gap between the two.

Anyway... favorite clothing of the month...

1) black "pleather" fabric knee high boots with a chunky 3 inch rubber platform sole (TJ Maxx) AND a second pair of skinnier black pleather fabric knee high boots with a side zip and a wedge heel (Burlington Coat Factory)
2) 70's vintage black faux fur winter jacket with extra furry brown trim (second hand store)
3) burgundy bell bottom cords (they are getting loose though!!) (Lane Bryant)
4) brown leather clog-like shoes with 3" wooden platforms (they are practically beyond description) (Deb)
5) burgundy/creme/brown print fitted velvet shirt with these gorgeous see-through sleeves that flare out at the elbow (Vanity)

Last edited by Sojourner; 01-15-2003 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:26 PM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Favorite clothing items:

Vintage black persian lamb coat with matching hat and muff ($60 total found at vintage clothing stores and in amazing condition!)

Short furry leopard print jacket ($40.00 on sale from $200.00 at a store closing sale and matching purse ($14.00) MEOW!

Knee high black snakeskin boots that are stretchy and fit my calves($30.00 on sale from $110.00 at a store closing sale)

A long black skirt in a thick but silky soft feeling material that has zips up each side. (paid more money than I should have but I feel tres sexy when I wear it )

Short black leather jacket (a staple! )
Old 01-16-2003, 08:50 AM   #8  
Must Shrink.

Wow! What a hot bunch of women we are! Now I want high boots too!

Lois.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:37 AM   #9  
Is it Friday yet?

Me too!!! Me too!!!! As soon as I rid myself of the 'curse of the Rogers' - my calves! All the women on my Grandma's side, no matter how petite, had undainty calves.

Terri
Old 01-16-2003, 03:03 PM   #10  
a brave new me...

Default Knee High Boots...

Yeah... I have very muscular calves with a little layer of fat... so I have similar problems with boots. The trick is to find a pair that are made of stretchy material... usually "pleather" or sometimes you can even find boots made of thick stretchy fabric... with some sort of spandex woven in. They slide on and fit like tight socks and are very attractive and slimming and sexy.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:14 PM   #11  

Sojo is right -I have two pairs of boots that are pleather with some stretch to them. They are comfortable and cling to your calves in a flattering manner and no zips to do up!
Old 01-19-2003, 09:25 AM   #12  
Hardcore UFOs

Hello, ladies -- great thread!

Here are my picks:

1. Flat-front looooonnnng black pants from Lane Bryant -- I probably wear them too long, but I like 'em that way... but now they are getting too baggy, even for my taste. *sob* Gee -- I guess I'll just have to get a pair in a smaller size!

2. Black button-down shirt with a covered button placket and french cuffs -- I always feel chic in this shirt. I'll be sad when it gets to be unwearable.

3. Little black waist-length corduroy jacket with buttoned pockets on the lower front. I am wearing this as a winter coat and probably shouldn't because it is not very warm... but... I tend to go for fashion over function... tsk tsk

4. Black (see a pettern here?) Doc Marten ankle boots that have wing-tip styling and did have that sort of hair/fur in sections... sort of hard to explain, but these boots were like love at first sight for me ten years ago! The fur stuff has mostly worn off, and they look pretty scruffy, but I just cannot chuck them! I spent way too much $$$ on them at the time, but I would say I got my money's worth! (And I actually have the gall to wear them to work sometimes!)

5. Tan thin-waled corduroy A-line skirt, which I made... I actually don't have this anymore, and I can't remember why. Either I grew out of it, or it had issues, or both. Either way, I would wear it all the time about 5 years ago and it will always have a place in my heart. A few more pounds, and I may have to make a replacement in homage.

Clothes can be so loaded emotionally, can't they?
Old 01-20-2003, 05:25 PM   #13  

Lois, what a great thread! Mauvais you are a champion vintage shopper - my new hero! I think vintage, secondhand and sales in general are the BEST, but not many people I know in non-cyber life agree with me (though I am training my girls to appreciate it! ).

Five fave items (for now - they change regularly):

black Adidas pants - the ones made of a heavy cotton with the triple stripe down the side (I have several pairs & love them)

V necked navy thin fleece top - wear it over everything

crystal on a thin flat silver chain

purple & lavender striped overalls

purple Keds (for this summer)

all of the above were purchased secondhand, of course!

I am also very fond of a lavender Hilfiger backpack (secondhand) that I plan to wear with above overalls & sneakers in the spring.

These are mostly wintery things, and will change in the spring when I can wear other stuff.

Can you tell I like purple and black?!

Lidian
Old 01-20-2003, 07:05 PM   #14  

Height: 5'-2"

No, Lidian. I would never have guessed that you like purple and black.

my favourite clothes:

Jeans

Birkenstock sandles

Doc Martin shoes

black a-line dressy top with square neck and long narrow sleeves.

tan a-line tailor-made sleeveless fitted light wool dress. It's my babe dress, and I'll be wearing it 50 pounds from now.

You should hear the noise in here. My six year old is SCREAMING like a crazy person. He's got a loose tooth, and asked my DH to pull it. It sounds like he's on the rack. heh heh. He's the most melodramatic person I've ever known. If he hurts himself, he'll be perfectly fine until he sees a drop of blood. Then he's on death's door.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:40 PM   #15  

Thanks Lidian, if I am your hero am I also the wind beneath your fashion wings I love purple and black too and also black and red as a combination. I like wearing things that are different from what every one else is wearing so I love vintage clothing and sale stuff in some of the places I shop is usually stuff that they can't get rid of cause it is too weird for the conservative clientele of our city -works for me - it is cool and I got a great deal

Ellis- your son is too funny You should put that babe dress where you can see it and use it as inspiration!

Things I love:

Funky shoes and boots-my middle name is Immelda

Purses- have a nice collection of vintage evening bags and some weird stuff like a fuzzy leopard print briefcase a purse shaped like a devil head, a metal box that used to be a makeup artist kit that I use as a purse, etc. etc.

Hats-luv 'em, buy 'em, wear 'em!

Leather-hope to have an ankle length leather trench someday

Silver jewellery-especially with garnets-my favorite stone
Closed Thread