Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #1  

Default Sigh - Starting all over again

In 2008, I managed to lose 34lbs, but have gained it all back again. That was my second time losing over 30 lbs, and honestly I need a little motivation because I'm tired. It takes so much work to lose weight for anyone, but when you have health problems, such as I do (PCOS, Fibromyalgia, Spinal Stenosis w/ sciatica) AND my fibroids have grown back that I had removed in 2007, its tripple times the work. Now I'm having severe stomach problems which limits me as to what I can eat, especially fruit and coffee.

They say the third time is the charm, so I hope so.

The problem I'm having is the motivation to start because I'm already, honestly, a healthy eater, I can't help but to be because everything bothers my stomach, but when you have PCOS, I could eat carrots every day and it takes forever to lose. I feel like I already deprive myself as it is, just to maintain my weight, and I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions on meal plans because I'm at my wits end here
Sparklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #2  
eratosthanes

S/C/G: 297/273/170

Height: 5'5"

Talking

This is what I had for dinner last night, and lunch today. It is very filling, and delicious. It takes some time to make, so if you don't have time, I am sure someone else will have other ideas for you.

Veggie Pasta Sauce:
1 1lb.12 oz. cn crushed tomatoes, or whole Roma tomatoes, drained and crushed
1/2 cn whole black olives, or 1/2 cup marinated (deli) olives (omit salt), chopped and pitted
1 13 oz cn mushrooms, or 1/2lb. of fresh sliced mushrooms
1 shallot, thinly sliced, 1/3 reserved
1 med. onion, diced, 1/2 reserved
4-6 cloves garlic, depending on size, sliced or minced (I prefer sliced)
1-2 med. carrots, sliced or diced
1 celery heart, or two stalks plus a pinch of celery seed (reserved), sliced or diced
1 med. yellow squash
1 med. zucchini
1 Tb oregano or 5 fresh sprigs
1 t marjoram
1 Tb basil, or 5 fresh leaves
1 t crushed rosemary, or 1 fresh sprig
2 bay leaves
2 T high-quality extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup red wine (make sure wine is DRINKING quality, NOT cooking wine), 1/4 reserved (optional)
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tb balsamic vinegar
2 Tb Romano cheese (optional)
2 Tb Parmesan cheese (optional)
1 t MSG (optional)
grey sea salt, or plain sea salt, or kosher to taste
pepper melange or fresh ground pepper to taste

After preparing and reserving vegetables, heat olive oil in large pan or skillet.
Saute olives, 2/3 shallot, 1/2 onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until they begin to blacken around edges, or until minced garlic is golden brown.
Add 3/4 cup red wine and reduce until gone.
Add vinegars and reduce until gone.
Add remaining shallot and onion, mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash and saute until onion is translucent.
Add crushed tomatoes, Romano cheese, MSG, and herbs, stir until combined, add remaining wine, salt and pepper and stir again.
Simmer on low for one hour, uncovered, adding water if necessary, and stirring occasionally.

I serve this over spaghetti squash. It makes four huge servings, each only 268 calories. BTW, you can also just use Parmesan cheese, if you can't afford Romano. It is pricey, but very flavorful. Also, you can skip/add anything you don't/do like/have, but adjust the calories accordingly.
eratosthanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

SPARKLEZ ~ You are not alone; this has happened to many of us in the past. The biggest difference for me is that I do not plan on going back to eating unhealthy again. In order for you to keep off your weightloss, you have to accept that this is changing how you eat for good. It takes just as much effort to keep at your goal weight as getting there in the first place ... (((sigh)))

I don't know what you have tried in the past; but the simplest method is to start with 3 meals + 2-3 snacks a day. Cut out the junkies (you know what they are); look for healthier take-out fair like deli Spit BBQ Chicken and have with your homemade salad and veggies, etc. Choose healthier snacks like yogurt, fruit, nuts, cheeze, etc. Start with one day at a time, and one change at time.

I took all our favorite meals and made them healthier. I increased our veggies and salads (I eat them; he doesn't), having them every day. We have lean meats and vary them each day to prevent boredom. I switched to whole grains for cereals, breads, pasta, brown rice, beans and lentils. My basic guide is 2-3 fruit; unlimited salad & veggies; 3 dairy; lean meats or alternates each meal and snack; 2 tbl good fats; low salt & sugar (I use substitutes).

I do toning exercises upon waking each morning and walking every day, according to how I feel. I start out with 5/10 minutes spirts; and do extra outdoor walking 2-4 times a week, esp from spring to fall. In the wintertime, I do more stuff indoors like dancing, Tai Chi, yoga, chair aerobics, hand-weights, stretchy band, etc.

There's lots there to get started with. I find tracking or journalling my food helps me to stay on plan better. The best motivator in this life is GOOD HEALTH, then to that you could make a list of dozens of other reasons you would feel better without the extra weight on. Read your list any time you need a little reminder why you are on this journey.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-23-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote