Old 02-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #1  
I'm in here...somewhere!

S/C/G: 290/250/150

Height: 5'6"

Question Scale Slavery!?

A few years ago I threw out my bathroom scale and decided to stop obsessing about "that number." I began eating more healthily, slower, and without bingeing. I did this because every time I stepped on the scale, I started obsessing about "that number" again, either getting depressed because the number had gotten larger, or making plans and doing calculations of the number of days/weeks/months/years it would take me to lose X or Y number of pounds and how I could speed up that reduction.

I've seen posts on this site of body size measurements in inches, and others in percent body fat or BMI. Does that help get your focus off "that number"? Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?

I'd appreciate some comments/suggestions on what "that number" means to you, and if you have found that measuring something else helps with the mental head trips "that number" can cause.

Thanks!

[I just love this little carrot!]
merrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #2  
eratosthanes

S/C/G: 297/273/170

Height: 5'5"

I usually track my short-term progress in inches, and my long-term in pounds. I only weigh at the doc's until I get about 250-230 (have done this before, lol), but lately I have been to various doctors a lot. So, even though my tape measure has said the same thing for the last week, every time I make a visit I have gained 1-2 lbs (5 total). It is really frustrating, because I was so proud of my 5 in. loss, but the scales are telling me I am fatter than I have been in months! Solution? I am refusing to beat myself up about this unless the tape-measure confirms what the scale is saying. My guess is by the next appointment, it will be back in line.
eratosthanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Gosh, everyone is different. Some people get obsessed and can't weigh often, others can handle daily weighing without it taking over their lives. Still others go by pants size or measurements. There is no right answer for everyone, just the right answer for you.

Me, I'm a daily weigher. Because if I don't I go into denial mode and can easily pack on pounds blissfully unaware of what I'm doing to myself. There are times when I get frustrated by stalled numbers on the scale, but I imagine I could get just as frustrated by unchanging measurements or pants sizes (in fact I have!). So just do what you feel works for you. It's all good.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #4  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I agree with CC on all counts. I'm another daily weigher, but don't feel enslaved by it. I have also weighed weekly and that worked ok too.

I'd rather be frustrated and aware than be as big as I was (am).
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I bought a scale about two weeks ago to replace the one I threw out a few years back. This time I am recording the weight daily. After a week I figure the average and go by that number only. This helps me to avoid the ups and downs and gives me an fairly accurate reading of how I'm doing.
To get back to your question.... I find that the best thing to count is calories. When I do that, I know I am on track even if the numbers don't show it yet.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #6  
eratosthanes

S/C/G: 297/273/170

Height: 5'5"

I would probably be inclined to weigh more often if I had a new scale as well. I weigh at the doctor's because it is more accurate, not necessarily because I really don't like to. This one does really bizarre things like telling you you gained 8 lbs when all you did was, no kidding, use the bathroom and take your clothes off. I guess I could use it to track a general downward trend, but seeing extra lbs. when I know there CAN'T be is very frustrating.
eratosthanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Yes, I am making myself ignore the daily number, and just use it to indicate the trend...not as much anxiety that way.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #8  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

daily weigher and I also totally agree with CC.

I use to weigh in once a week, but I'd find I'd "cheat" and peak at the scale and either jump for joy or be totally depressed. Seeing normal weight fluctuations and understanding how that is very normal has allowed me to track the weight each day and use a "running average" for my weight loss.

However, when I see a new low on the scale, the first thing I do is update my 3fc ticker
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote