South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #1  
kip

S/C/G: 183/174/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Beans for Dummies

I've noticed a lot of posts that have something to do with beans. I need bean help!

Besides green beans and the beans I put in chili, I'm pretty much a bean dummy. Can you all give me some suggestions on good ones to start with, easy and tasty? I'd really appreciate any suggestions!
kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 161.5/148.5/130

Height: 5'6"

Hi Kip,
I too, was a bean dummy until I started reading and participating in this forum!

I buy the canned beans: black, red kidney, and cannelini beans. Rinse and drain them and mix with salsa or chopped tomatoes spinach garlic and onion.
Tonight I am mixing a can of black beans with salsa, tomatoes, chopped chicken breast(cooked). Top with low fat cheese and bake in oven.
Beans have replaced pasta, rice and potatoes for me.

There are many delicious sounding recipes here on the forum. Have fun experimenting!
Deb
dwdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #3  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I buy canned beans as well -- great northern were new ones for me! I like them in my salads, like chick peas, or with onion and cucumber with vinegar like a salad.

Have you tried looking in the recipe section? Yummy yummers there that use canned beans.

Also, lentils are fabulous and easy to cook!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #4  
Be happy.

My 2 favorite bean recipes (both are from this forum):

Turkey & White Bean Chili

Refried Bean Soup

The taco bake is really good too. My DH is always asking for it.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

I am soooo loving Cyndi's crockpot refried beans. I eat them for breakfast! Most people I know seem to like black beans so you might start with them in soups or on top of a taco salad. I use canned (except for the crockpot recipe) and always drain and rinse them. There are so many great soup recipes on here and also Kalyn's Kitchen (all SB recipes). This chicken dish is a big hit in our house and I actually double the beans and veggies since they are so good in this. I agree that the taco bake is yummy!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I have a few cans of beans in the cupboard, but I pretty much buy mine in their dried state and cook them myself. It's so much cheaper. When I cook from dried, it takes quite awhile, so I just plan accordingly and let them simmer. I cook more than one meals worth at a time, and freeze the extras. I don't add salt or seasonings until they've cooked because the books say that can make them tough. Googling will get you cooking times for various beans.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I also use dry but use the pressure cooker so I can do several varieties when I'm home. Like Debbie I package and freeze what we won't eat for the week. Right now I cook at least 1 lb of beans for refried beans, 1 lb for a crockpot meal, 1 lb black beans for general use (salads, etc), and 1 lb white beans for the mock cornbread/coffee cake.

There are lots of really great recipes in our files. Take a look around
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/130

I am still learning my beans too! Right now my favorite thing is chick peas with chopped carrots & celery and some SF italian dressing (or I make my own vinagrette) I also sometimes throw some canned mushrooms in there. It's filling on it's own, or also great as a side dish.
Kslosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

After the last few recipes I realized I really need a food processor AND crockpot!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #10  

Jenn, both things are definitely worth the investment! I use my food processor nearly every day!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/136/125

Height: 4"11'

I made the refried bean soup yesterday and it's soooo yummy. I highly reccomend it. Tonight i'm making the taco bake. Come on beans, do your stuff!
Maryjaneld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/160/135

Height: 5' 1"

I've always loved beans. It's been a challenge to find different way to fix them, though. I recently started buying cannelini beans, and have been trying different things. One recipe I recently put together turned out really yummy, and super quick, too! I call it a sort of, kind of, white bean chili. I make it for two, but it can be increased.

One small boneless chicken breast
One can cannelini beans
One small tomato - diced
Light sodium chicken broth
Onion
Fresh basil
Fresh rosemary
Sea salt
Fresh ground pepper

Cube the chicken breast and saute it with onion and a little bit of olive oil. Once it's done, add the fresh basil and a small amount of fresh rosemary. Cook until the onion is tender. Add the beans and enough chicken broth to slightly cover beans. Continue to simmer until the broth is mostly absorbed by the chicken and beans. About five minutes prior to serving, add the diced tomato.

Yummy!
tinkin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm not organized enough to use the dried beans much, but I have tons of cans of beans in my cupboard. My favorites are black beans and pinto beans. I adore the taste of the pinto! Also like the garbanzo and cannelini. I add them to salads, make chili and Taco bake and just like eating them warmed up with salsa and RF cheese. I also like to take 1/2 can of FF refried and spread in bottom of shallow salad bowl, sprinkle RF cheese on top and warm up. Add salsa, greens & tomatoes on top & you have a wonderful version of taco salad.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #14  

For lunch today I tried cooking chicken with black beans and it came out really good! It was so quick and easy too, so I thought I'd share...

I took 4 boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins, cubed them and sauteed in a little cooking spray with half a small onion. When the chicken was fully cooked, I added some chopped peppers and mushrooms. Once those were tender, I added a whole can of black beans and let those heat through. Topped the whole thing with ff cheddar cheese and salsa. I never used to be a bean person, but the beans and salsa were my favorite part of this! I have lots leftover too, so I will freeze it for quick lunches for another day or 2 or 3.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #15  

I ate almost the exact same thing for lunch today! I did Black beans(canned- about a cup), a little brown rice (already cooked), salsa, grilled chicken (already cooked), salsa, shredded cheese and heated it all up...topped it with lettuce and tomato....YUM! It would have been really good with a little sour cream but I didn't have any.... Phase 1 folks could easily leave out the brown rice!
litar is offline   Reply With Quote