Old 02-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6"

Default not going to give up.. but i am really frustrated

okay, so from my ticker, you can see i'm down to 195lbs (well, 195-196)
now it's REALLY pissing me off, because i eat low calories.. the lowest i go is 1450 and the highest is 1700. i just researched online last night what it takes for someone like me to MAINTAIN my weight, and it's like 2400 and if i want to lose weight, i can go like 2100 or something along those lines.

SO WHAT TROUBLES ME IS, if i'm eating a LOT less calories than that guideline, how come the weight is taking SO long to come off?
i don't sit around.. i walk my dog everyday.. my job requires i stand the whole time (either 5hours or 8hours) and i do walk quite a bit.. and when i'm home i'm not always sitting. i did go to the gym, but my pass just expired and right now i'm completely broke and cant afford another one.

so please, can someone help me out with some tips or something?!
missyRxOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

You might need to eat more. Personally I've found that less is not always more. I've recently had to increase my cals to get the scale moving at pace I'm more comfortable with. That said, I'm very active. My calories range from 1450 - 2100 (I zig zag) most days are around 1650. Last week was the first week at this level and I lost 4 lbs! The week before I was at 1450 all week and lost 0!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Try having a high calorie day. If you're body has been used to 1450 for a long time maybe it just needs a shake up. Go 1800 for a day.

Maybe you could also try varying your calorie intake from day to day. A lot of people have success mixing it up.
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/194/140

Height: 5'7

I agree with the others. Also this may sound stupid but an option you have is to jump around for around twenty minutes a day, literally. In example run in place for a bit switch to jumping jacks, those sort of things. Do it at home so no one sees you. You'd be surprised how great a workout it can be (All Cardio Baby) and best of all it's free.
Selca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
You might need to eat more. Personally I've found that less is not always more. I've recently had to increase my cals to get the scale moving at pace I'm more comfortable with. That said, I'm very active. My calories range from 1450 - 2100 (I zig zag) most days are around 1650. Last week was the first week at this level and I lost 4 lbs! The week before I was at 1450 all week and lost 0!
This is interesting. How did you plan the days? Did you have the same activity on all the days?
crcossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #6  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Nope, my activity level varies from a 2 mile walk to a 5 mile walk/jog to a 4 mile hike w/ 2 rest days of course. There are sorts of theories about have higher activity on higher cal days and less activity on lower cal days. I don't have that flexibility and have to do what I can when I can so I don't pay much attention to that. It's all about trial and error and the key is varying your calorie deficit so you're body is always guessing and your metabolism is at it's highest.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

I agree. I recently lost 89lbs and was stuck in a 9 month plateau, nothing worked! Eventually I tried eating more (it was scary...but I did it) and the weight started coming off again and got me into ONEderland!
I also try zig-zagging once in a while... I am active as well. I stay between 1450 and 1700 cals. I exercise 6 days a week. Any lower that 1450 and I find I don't lose any weight. food for thought. Who would ever think more is better!
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #8  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

I only eat around 1050 cal. a day to lose weight, cause I'm small. I love to walk and I do it every day, but I noticed if i walk too much, I gain weight. I watch Dr. Oz and he said that your muscles can retain water from too much exercise and that's what causes to weight gain. But is only temporary, so if your calories are lower than you should have, maybe you are losing weight and it doesn't show on the scale because of the muscle water retention. I would try taking a break from excersise for a day or two and see if you start losing. I tried it and I always lose on the days I don't walk(about twice a week) Hope this helps!
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Howdy,
I have been tracking my body every day for only 6 months. Not an expert yet even with me. However, for me so far, when I eat more I gain more or lose less well. When I eat less I lose more. So from trial and error, 1,300 is what works for me and often times it is less than this. A couple of times it is more than this. So life, and not intentional planning causes me to zigzag which currently seems a helpful way to structure calories. I am not a fan of the starvation mode, I think it is a myth.

YMMMV. Best wishes on your journey.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #10  
Body Bugg user

S/C/G: 263/160/140

Height: 5'3.25

I can lose on 1800-2100 but have been maintaining lately because my av daily intake is 2300-2500, and I am 41 and only 5'3" BUT I lift weights and workout between 3 and 5x/week.

(Yeah, I need to get my head back in the game and lose the rest of this weight but wanted to point out that some people, even short + "older" can eat quite a bit and still maintain and/or lose).
Gretchenpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMichelle View Post
Try having a high calorie day. If you're body has been used to 1450 for a long time maybe it just needs a shake up. Go 1800 for a day.

Maybe you could also try varying your calorie intake from day to day. A lot of people have success mixing it up.
i was mixing it up.. like i said my lowest was 1450 and the highest 1776 or whatever i posted...

starting tomorrow i'm doing a full week straight of 1500 calories to see how that goes. if in a couple days i lose nothing, ill do 2 straight days of 1800 calories to see how that goes! thank you
Old 02-23-2010, 01:03 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyG View Post
I agree. I recently lost 89lbs and was stuck in a 9 month plateau, nothing worked! Eventually I tried eating more (it was scary...but I did it) and the weight started coming off again and got me into ONEderland!
I also try zig-zagging once in a while... I am active as well. I stay between 1450 and 1700 cals. I exercise 6 days a week. Any lower that 1450 and I find I don't lose any weight. food for thought. Who would ever think more is better!
wow. i think you're awesome for staying in a 9 month plateau. if i was in one of those i'd have given up... plateaus are my weaknesses. being in one now is hard, but i haven't give up like every other time!
Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #13  

alright thanks gals! i'll take the advice and try upping my calories just a tad.. after trying just the same amount for a few days straight (if it works i'll do it for a week straight then change it the week after)

so we'll see how it goes! thank you once again you guys are awesome for support and advice!