Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

Default Sedatary JOB

So my job pretty much sucks! lol. But I am stuck there while I am in school, because they have great health insurance and they are very flexible with my school schedule.

My problem is it's a sit down job. I am at a desk for 8-10 hours 3-4 days a week. Thursday through Sunday is my schedule. I see my weight moving, but it only moves on the days I am off work and more active. It's like over the weekend my weight stays the same because I am doing nothing but sitting all day. I still go to the gym on Thursdays and Fridays, but still not much movement when I am sitting on my butt all day.

Anyone else have a desk job, and found ways to work out at your desk, or keep moving at all?
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Luckily *they* say that weight loss/maintenance is 80% food/20% exercise. I mean it's not ideal that you have a desk job, but look - you've managed to lose a nice 32lbs!!! Getting to the gym those two days a week IS something. Maybe you can do an exercise dvd on the other days. Or take a brisk walk. OR make it your business to get up off of that seat every 20 minutes or so. Something and really it doesn't have to be all that much.

And since you are losing so nicely, what's the difference if it *shows up/appears* only on the days you are more active, provided of course it doesn't go UP during the more sedentary days?

Get to the gym those 2 days and do your best to keep moving on the others. Keep those calories in check. Concentrate on those calories coming in. Adhere to a calorie budget.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/TickTickBoom/ST-220

Height: 5'6

I work a desk job as well. Just can't give up the hours and benefits, so I'm still here. I keep myself moving. Anything I can do. I'll get up, walk around the building a bit, print things and pick them up from the printer, then print whatever else I need, walk and pick it up from the printer... etc. I also bounce my legs. I have no idea if it helps, but it's movement and it's better than sitting allll day. I listen to music (I know not all places allow this) but I'll occasionally bounce around in my chair. Sure, some people have noticed but who cares? At least I'm moving and I'm having fun. I also make an effort hold my tummy in/tighten my abs and sit up straight.
Gourmet Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

i do. i'm a 911 dispatcher...i sit for 12.5 hours a day...i get one half hour lunch and 2 15 minute breaks. this job has destroyed my weight., i have gained about 30+ pounds since i started here 3 years ago. i'm here at 7 am, done at 7:30pm...so getting to the gym is difficult. i am probably burning a sum total of 50 calories during a work day. i too work about 3-4 days a week, depending on the rotation. i am trying not to eat any of the food that people bring here to share...but that's not always easy. i am trying not to join in with everyone in ordering lunch out...but that's not always easy either. all i can tell you is to just pack a really healthy lunch...no soda, no sweets. i have a lot of fruits and veggies to nosh on here in my cubicle and i'm going to try to exercise more on work days (going to HAVE to suck it up and just GO TO THE GYM!!). but yeah, you aren't alone at all! i'm right here with you girl!!
shoeluver67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I also have a desk job.. full time. Here are a few things I do to keep my body moving...

I wake up 20mins earlier to do the elliptical every morning to get myself ready for the day.
If I need to talk to someone, I get up instead of messaging or emailing.
I print papers only occasionally, so when I do I print one at a time so I have to stand up, get the paper, come back, and do it again.
Before I sit in my chair sometimes, I will lower my rear to almost sitting and hold it for a few seconds to work my glutes and thighs.
I'll sit on the edge of my chair for a few minutes, a few times a day. It engages my abs for a little while.
I also get two paid 10min breaks each day so I go outside and walk a lap around the parking lot for each one.

I also wanted to echo rockinrobin here too, that *they* say losing weight is 80% diet. So while it's important to keep your body moving, it's more important to be careful of your food choices.

I've heard of people doing things like desk push-ups and such, but I don't personally do them...

Last edited by stargzr; 02-22-2010 at 12:45 PM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/TickTickBoom/ST-220

Height: 5'6

I just did this, so I'll add it... Drink lots and lots of water. Not just for the deliciousness of it, but that means more trips to the water cooler for refills and trips to the furthest bathroom you can go to (without looking like a weirdo going all the way downstairs if you work on the 8th floor or something, lol).
Gourmet Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #7  

I have a desk job as well. I get up early and walk in the mall. I also stand up at my desk and work. My bosses allowed me to buy a stand to prop my laptop on at my desk to lift it to a standing height. If you don't work with a laptop, you can use something to just get your keyboard higher and then look down at your screen. I use an another screen in addition to my laptop screen and when I stand I have to look down at it. It's not too bad. My boss uses a Body Bugg and says he burns 3x's the calories when he stands to work.

Also, I wear a pedometer all day. I get about 5000 steps from my morning mall walk but I make it my goal to get about 2000 more during the work day. So I walk to deliver messages in person instead of emailing or IM-ing. I take the steps. I take the long way to the rest room. I leave my lunch in the car (works in the cold weather) and go downstairs to get it. Just little things.
soulnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #8  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I like my job so much I'd never give it up, but it DOES involve a lot of sitting (when is "sitting" going to be an Olympic event?? I'd so bring home the Gold for Canada!!) but I have a little routine I do -- In the printer/photocopier room i posted a little "what you can do in 30 seconds" and "what you can do in 60 minutes" for leg lifts, squats, chest presses against the wall - stuff to do while you wait for your copies LOL i'm sure it doesnt' do anyting, but loosens you up a bit! Lots of trips around the office for water etc., and we have a fridge so it's always stocked with easy lunch stuff too. Where there's a will, there's a way! Even butt clenches while sitting is of some benefit!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #9  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I have a desk job, but I stand to work about 6 to 7 hours out of my 8-hour day. I have a tray that lifts my keyboard and mouse high enough for me to use them, then I tilt my monitor so that I can see the screen. It's very workable. Unless your workplace has a specific policy against you standing to work, I see no reason not to do it.

Me standing to work has even inspired one or two other employees to be interested in doing it. It's a great example for co-workers who are also in a "sedentary" job.

Really, your job is only as sedentary as you allow it to be. Standing rather than sitting will burn at least 50 more calories per hour, which over the course of a single workday really adds up--and even more does it add up over the workweek and whole year.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #10  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

It depends on what you mean by 'stuck at a desk'. I work a desk job, but I have a rule about using the restroom: I always go up two flights or down one to use the bathroom. The restroom on the floor where I work is off limits. And I pee a LOT, so I'm always running up and down stairs.

I volunteer to run errands for people to get in extra stairs as well, and on my breaks I try to get out of the building altogether. This won't work for you if you're stuck working reception or something where you're tied to a phone, but it's helpful just to get up every hour and keep your circulation going.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #11  
eratosthanes

S/C/G: 297/273/170

Height: 5'5"

You know, *they* also say that you burn more calories by fidgeting, so bouncing your legs is a great idea. I can't stand for more than a couple of hours at a time, and my apt. is TINY, so I try to find a way to walk somewhere every day. If you are pressed for time (mom or such) try getting up to turn on the TV or change the channel, and maybe investing in a tread-mill and using it anytime the TV is on. I don't own a TV, so as I said, it's a 1/2 hour walk every day!
eratosthanes is offline   Reply With Quote