Old 02-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #1  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Default Traveling sickness, oh joy!

So I've been sick for about 3 weeks now... got sick about halfway through my trip in India. I managed well enough there, despite the heat and the cramps and then pain and then all the bathroom problems.... probably because they're definitely better equipped and ready to handle such problems (they have rehydration salts..... we have..... Gatorade. Yay. )

However.... I could not for the life of me eat ANYTHING fresh (fruits, veggies, even meat!!) or non-carb without having massive cramps and pain. It got to the point where the only things I could keep down without being in true pain for hours was: Domino's pizza, ice cream, and rice. Which is basically what I lived on for a week and a half. They didn't even have soups I could really have, because they were ALL SPICY!

Surprisingly, I didn't gain much... maybe 2lbs or so... and I have a sneaking suspicion some of it is water weight from the hydration salts as well as the salt content of the things I was eating.

So I came home thinking that things were getting better and it'd be especially easy because my body would be more used to the food here and all that junk. So I wouldn't need my rehydration salts... and that I could go back to eating normally and healthy.

So... I was wrong. Ended up in the ER last night, for four hours, got hooked to an IV and treated for dehydration and prescribed an anti-nausea med for my vomiting and queasiness. The doc told me to keep doing as I'm doing.... eating only what will stay down (like I said, pizza, rice, ice cream and soup) and/or soup and crackers and gatorade.

It just makes me think though.... I really really feel bad about eating so terribly.... but at the same time, my health is in jeopardy here. Maybe the problem is that I hate to admit that its fun to eat ice cream and popsicles and pizza, but it is..... Maybe I'm just scared that I'll backslide or something.

I'm checking my weight every day.... and it only fluctuates between 195 to 193..... so far so good... but at what point do I force myself to start eating right again?

I just wonder if skinny people have to worry about this stuff....

Last edited by starfishkitty; 02-21-2010 at 04:04 PM.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Everyone has times, fat or skinny when they get sick and their body will only tolerate so much. Eat what stays down. If it's pizza, soup, bread, think about whats in those that helps you feel better? Are they foods that absorb? If soup and crackers will stay down, try some low sodium soup with whole wheat crackers. Better yet, make a batch of homemade soup yourself with tons of vegetables, etc.. If you want popsicles, try the real 100% fruit bars instead of the chemical coated rainbow freezy pops LOL. That kinda thing.

Don't force your body to do anything. Eventually you will get back on track stomach wise and be able to get back in the groove. Raw fruits and vegetables can be a very hard thing to keep down when sick. They don't absorb stomach acid and are very acidic themselves sometimes. Plus they take a lot in the digestive process because of all the fiber.

Hang in there! I hope you feel better soon.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5.5"

Amanda - I'm sorry your feeling so bad. Take care of yourself for now. That means eating what stays down. You can change your diet when you are feeling 100% better. I understand why you are worried about getting back on track but we will be here to help you.

And yes, skinny people do have to deal with these things. My mom recently had a very serious virus and couldn't eat anything but ice cream. She is a skinny, skinny (too skinny) person and she FREAKED at having to eat ice cream.

Keep us updated on how you are feeling.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #4  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

ay yi yi! what a serious bummer. get better fast. I know, it's kind of freaky when I get sick and go off my regular eating pattern. don't worry, do what you have to do, and you'll be back in the saddle again in no time.

love to see pics if you have any, I'm sure it was a fantastic adventure. (did you get to ride on a elephant? I'd love to try that)
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote