Old 02-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Default A bit embarrassed

What do you guys do about gas? I have figured out that I really like large amounts of food. I love volume, it doesn't make me feel deprived. Therefore, I'm eating a lot of vegetables which equals lots of gas.

I know eventually my body will get used to the oatmeal and veggies and produce less gas, but until then what can I do? Any natural alternatives other than OTC meds? What about Beano? I don't know much about it, but Im worried that I will lose some of the benefits the veggies give me if I completely block out one of the natural side effects before it even occurs.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I too love volume and therefore I turned to veggies as a solution to have that volume AND lose weight (and now maintain that loss).

I am SO fortunate that gas has really not been an issue for me. And that my tummy can handle all those veggies.

I would advise you to drink LOTS of water. Fiber expands in the stomach and water is the cushion for it.

So add in that water - and give it some time. Most likely you and your body will adjust to the added fiber.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Im trying to get in about a gallon of water a day. It's just getting painful. As a 911 dispatcher I sit down all day at work. I get gas cramps like crazy since I obviously can't let it out. (can you imagine that noise in the back ground of a recorded call, much less the outbursts from my poor co-workers? ) I'm trying to move as much as possible inbetween calls, etc...

I hope I adjust quickly! It's not enough to get me to give up my veggies though!
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #4  
eratosthanes

S/C/G: 297/273/170

Height: 5'5"

Beeno DEF works (thank god, as bf has TERRIBLE gas) as does Activia. That and time, lol.
eratosthanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

certain veggies are worse than others. like broccoli. maybe you can concentrate on other less gas producing foods until your body adjusts. and plan ahead for those alone moments.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I don't know, but I'm watching this thread for my poor son! I was in the ER for the fourth time last night with our 8 year old with severe abdominal pain. It's horrible! He will cry and writhe in pain for three hours before I finally have enough and we whisk him to the ER. I'm always so fearful it's his appendix. Every time it has been gas. It's just that painful for him.

And he has a good diet, darnit! I don't know what to do for him.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #7  
Alberta Gal

S/C/G: 154.2/151.2/125.0

Height: 5' 3"

Cool Digestive Enzymes

Hello there. Have you tried enzymes? I find I benefit from taking digestive enzymes with all my meals. I am on the Dr. Bernstein Plan which requires that I eat 1.0 lb of vegetables each and every day. I have practically no gas at all. Hope this helps. I buy my enzymes from the health food store. Best of luck to you.
HalfPint71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I feel for you! I too get terrible gas. I eat loads of veggies as well. Seems the worst is, (like DragonWoman mentioned) broccoli...wow...bad...lol Cabbage is another loud veggie for me. Oh and Fibre One cereal and yogurt are also gas producing foods for me. I've been at this awhile and nothing has helped...But, you know reading HalfPint's post turned on a light bulb for me. My oldest son (17) has been on a gluten free diet for over 10 years now, and he also takes digestive enzymes. He eats a lot of vegetable and I don't recall hearing him fart in YEARS. humm. Maybe I'll try some of his enzymes...(Though his are VERY expensive).

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-21-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote