Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Default Weighing Strategy

I used to be a non scale chick...the fluctuations made me crazy... Now I weigh daily, and use the average for the week as my "real" number...this seems to be working, so I thought I would share. Does anyone else do that ?
If so, how is it working for you ?
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

I like your idea .thanks
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #3  

I don't think this is an original idea...but it works for me !
Old 02-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I don't average - too much math! lol! I weigh daily so I can see the trend, and then have one day a week that I count as my official weigh in day, and that's what I go by for my ticker. I will sometimes change in between - if I hit a milestone or if I'm doing a challenge that is on a different schedule.

I just changed my weigh in day from Monday to Saturday because I was seeing that every week, I had an increase on Mondays. I realized that it was because I exercise a lot more on weekends (since I have more time!) and have a little bit of swelling/water weight from that. It was getting pretty discouraging and annoying to see one number on Friday or Saturday, but then a higher number on Mondays. So now I'm going to try Saturdays and see how that works (tomorrow will be the first week). I expect to temporarily go back up from my Sat. weight but that extra is generally gone by Wed., so I think Sat. will be a good reflection of my actual loss each week.

Probably, if I took the time to do the math, all of that might end up coming close to an average too.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #5  

That seems like it would work for most people, Peanuts. I guess I am just a little too compulsive to do it that way. My little math thing is keeping me (relatively)sane.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I now way daily, thanks to this site. I can't believe how much it has changed me. It seems like such a small thing.

I no longer obsess about the scale wondering what I weigh today, dreaming about what I might way at the next weigh in, wondering if the new weight is a fluke and or disappointed when it isn't what I dreamed it would be.

And I figure weighing daily will keep me from ever going on a three year hiatus again. I can't bury my head in the sand if my routine is to weigh every day.

I plot my Friday's weights on a chart on My Daily Plate. So I guess my Fridays are for real, but I change my ticker the minute I see a new good weight, even though that often means getting back to it again.

Today, however, it is accurate at 199.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #7  

Yes, Eliana, not changing the ticker for a week is the main drawback with my method.

Last edited by marigrace; 02-19-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I don't mind not changing my ticker all the time - by the time I change it, it's usually a weight I've seen for a day or two, so I feel more secure in "owning" it, so to speak. On another thread (with people who mostly have less weight to lose so their loss is slower), someone said that she waits until she sees the same number 3 days running before claiming it - I might eventually switch to something like that down the road.

This whole issue is actually the biggest potential drawback for me in changing my WI date. Since my Monday weight is a little bit inflated, other than TOM where there is a noticeable difference but I know it will come back off, and some weirdness this week where I had 4 lbs water gain over a couple of days (but then 3.5 lb loss over one night!), I have pretty much always been at my ticker weight or below. I hate the idea of any loss I have not counting because I need to get back down to my ticker weight before I get to count it.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #9  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I do the exact same thing. I've been using the "google 15" daily weight tracker. It takes a running average weight. Its been helpful to me.

http://www.red-bean.com/fitz/ig/google15/faq.html
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #10  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_H View Post
I do the exact same thing. I've been using the "google 15" daily weight tracker. It takes a running average weight. Its been helpful to me.

http://www.red-bean.com/fitz/ig/google15/faq.html
I think I am going to try that, Matt! Thanks! It sounds like a way to keep the daily fluctuations from driving me crazy.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #11  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I weigh every day, but I only truly count Tuesdays. There have been some weeks when I know Tuesday is inaccurate due to extra exercise on Monday, sodium, etc. and then I use Wednesday as my official weight. I also keep an eye on my moving average, like Matt does, though I have discovered I prefer weighchart.com to the google one. It lets me track my blood glucose too and so I can easily see it compared to my weight loss on my little chart. It also let me fill in all my weights back to the beginning of my journey and it has a photo timeline.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #12  

Thanks, Matt.Very interesting ! I am kind of used to doing it with a pencil and a calculator, but this would be a great tool also.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #13  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Huh. I'm surprised I haven't thought of this! Awesome idea I'm totally stealing it
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote