Old 02-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 274/250/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Sushi

Do you guys like sushi? What kind do you normally get?

I would like to start eating sashimi, because it's lower in calories, but it makes me nervous for some reason.
casey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #2  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

I LOVE sushi and sashimi. I haven't had any since beginning my diet, but that's because I live in hickville and these people wouldn't know what sushi was if it bit them in the butt. lol
I usually just get whatever the chef recommends, or I ask for the special. I don't really know any of the names of the specific rolls, but eel is one of my favorites... Sashimi isn't a big risk unless you go to a less than reputable sushi bar/restaurant. If you make it yourself be sure to ask your fish monger for sashimi grade fish.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #3  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

I absolutely LOVE sushi. Salmon is my favorite raw fish because to me it just tastes so rich in a buttery kind of way. I like all kinds of sushi though...tuna roll, spicy tuna/salmon, eel, veggie, etc. I try to avoid the ones with fried tempura things inside or mayonnaise for obvious reasons, and I find that a lot of places try to have like americanized ridiculously huge rolls with way too many things done to it (example: mexican roll, volcano roll, etc).

One time I had a sweet shrimp roll with mango and it was freaking delicious.

I like sashimi, but only in limited quantities. I need something else to break it up with, otherwise for me its just like fish overload!
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:24 AM   #4  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

i, love, sushi. it is my favorite food. i enjoy tuna rolls, spicy tuna rolls, eel rolls; for sashimi i love salmon tuna, eel, egg...lets just say if they have it I like it. The only sushi I dislike is the stuff with cucumber, like California rolls. I do admit the best sushi ever is a volcano roll, which sadly is tempura (fried). So not the best thing ever to eat, more like on the list of things not to eat.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:49 AM   #5  

I love sushi!!

I have recently discovered a new fav restaurant (which on my current diet I can't eat at major bummer) called RA Sushi. I've heard it be reffered to as "fake" sushi since its so commercial (its pretty americanized- cream cheese inserts etc.) but its SOOOOOOOOO GOOD!

Anyone else LOVE that restaurant?
KellyGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I love sushi as well

I make my own, its really extremely simple and SO MUCH cheaper - and healthier since you know exactly whats in it.

I tend to make chicken, salmon or tuna sushi with cucumber, grated carrot or avocado. I will grill the chicken or marinate it in different flavours for a bit of an extra hit.

Might make up some sushi rice this weekend actually... heheh
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #7  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyria View Post
I love sushi as well

I make my own, its really extremely simple and SO MUCH cheaper - and healthier since you know exactly whats in it.

I tend to make chicken, salmon or tuna sushi with cucumber, grated carrot or avocado. I will grill the chicken or marinate it in different flavours for a bit of an extra hit.

Might make up some sushi rice this weekend actually... heheh
same with me. I love sushi and i make my own. ^_^
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #8  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

There's this place in ATL called RuSan's... super affordable. Good sushi and they have the BEST shrimp fried rice I've ever eaten! Every time I go down we HAVE to go out for sushi.

I'm like some other people, I know what I like but don't know the names. Love eel and am a bigger fan of tuna than salmon personally.

The place I occasionally get sushi from here is okay. They have this really spicy roll called the "Wolfpack" roll but I don't know what it would be at most normal places.

Excellent stuff though! Now I want sushi!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #9  
Esme

S/C/G: 201/148/130

Height: 5'3"

Yummm!!! I love sushi! Now that's all I can think about!

Luckily, the place that I would kill for is in my hometown and a good two hour drive from where I live... So I don't go there very often. But I think that any of the non-fried veggie rolls, anything without the spicy mayo stuff and anything not tempura-ed is pretty good for you... I guess I don't know for sure, but a little rice, sea-weed, fish and veggies can't really be that harmful.

However, I love all the spicy, mayo-y, fried rolls and refuse to get anything else. My favorite rolls are: spicy tempura maki (tempura shrimp), spicy california rolls (lots of mayo!) and spider rolls (I am actually not sure what is in this one, but they're soooo good!) So I just consider it a really special treat and only go there once every few months. In college, my roommates and I would go to my favorite place every Friday no matter what, and all I can think is 'no wonder I was fat!'
foresmewithlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #10  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

UGH! Now I am craving it.. THANKS GUYS!

I don't eat the raw kind, but I love sushi! Crunch rolls, california rolls, obi rolls, minute (60 second) rolls.. ugh. I wish there were a place close to my work!

We do have a few places close to my house. One called Tokyo and another called Sake's.
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I.LOVE.SUSHI!!!! If I had to eat it every day for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be mad. I have tried all kinds and love most of it. The only thing I tried and did not like was squid - it was just a weird texture to me... Anyhow, my favorite roll is with eel inside, and thin slices of avocado on top with a little of this sauce they put... absolute heaven! I like sashimi, but prefer to have it in a roll just because it's easier for me to pick up and eat. I also prefer most of my rolls fairly plain... ie: the one I explained... or something with just the fish and one other thing. I love the taste and texture of the fish, so I prefer not to have anything hindering it.

My husband and I had a sushi place we'd go to all the time, but it closed (an older japanese couple owned it and they wanted to retire) and we lost track of our sushi chef (sad, sad day). He was amazing! and taught us so much about fish and things that you just wouldn't know by going to eat it. He was great, how we miss him...
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #12  

Kellygrrl - In San Diego?! Its AWESOME!!!!! My bf and I went there once while he was stationed at the Navy base in Balboa Park. I thought the place was SUPER good.
LiLLy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #13  

another nice thing about sushi and dieting is the "sides" can be super healthy too!

miso soup is practically nuthin. and seaweed salad is SO good for you -- just watch the oils, luckily my fave spots serve it fresh and clean.
partypantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyGrrl View Post
I love sushi!!

I have recently discovered a new fav restaurant (which on my current diet I can't eat at major bummer) called RA Sushi. I've heard it be reffered to as "fake" sushi since its so commercial (its pretty americanized- cream cheese inserts etc.) but its SOOOOOOOOO GOOD!

Anyone else LOVE that restaurant?

Ah RA is soooo good
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #15  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Where is RA?
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote