Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/197/140

Height: 5'4

Default having trouble with too much freedom

I don't know if I can say this here.. I did WW off and on for 11 years. I got to my goal weight of 133 back in 2000. Since then, I have had 4 pregnancies resulting in 2 healthy babies. I keep going back to WW since I was successful before, but I find that there is too much freedom now. I tend to say "I will have one cookie and write down my points" but it turns into a whole bag and then I ultimately say "OK I will binge for the rest of the day as my last hurrah and start again tomorrow". Well, here I am at my heaviest weight EVER. Obese. I know I would do better if someone said "eat this for breakfast, this for lunch, and this for dinner" rather than leaving it up to me. But I can't afford things like the programs where you buy their food. I am definitely a binge eater and can't deal with the freedom of being able to eat anything I want and just count it and write it down.

Help!
maisiedotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

i am glad you posted this and that you are asking for help! that is a huge step

1 jan 2007 i cut out all junk food and that helped me a lot. i have struggled a bit since april last year when i gave myself the FREEDOM to eat treats now and then... i went back to binging...

so maybe making a weekly food plan, as if you were on a program, might help? then you only allow yourself to eat what is on your plan? take away your freedom from yourself, just for now... and then, slowly, carefully, add it back (kinda like i am trying to do)...

i could send you a 'blank' weekly food plan if you want (that i created in excel)...if you think it might help...
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #3  
South Beach P2

S/C/G: 168/160/120

Height: 5'2

Sounds like you might find it helpful to have just a little more structure. I don't think it's necessary to rely on a plan that promotes their own brand of food in order to lose weight as many here will attest too. It's perfectly reasonable to expect to eat regular food in order to reach your goals. Use whole grains, low fat dairy, and choose carbs that are lowest on the Glycemic Index. (Assuming you are familiar with the G. I. ) South Beach works for me because I don't have to count anything! Just choose foods from the approved list for the particular phase you are in. Mix and match to make your own meals or use one of their recipes. Actually, the whole family can eat this way very comfortably. Phase 1 is somewhat restrictive (no bread, potatoes, pasta) but entirely do-able. It only lasts for two weeks and you will lose 8-13lbs. Mostly water bloat of course. In Phase 2 you start adding the higher G. I. carbs back. This worked extremely well for me last year. No hunger either! I'm sure there are others here who can tell you about other plans that may work for you. Good Luck!
Releve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/136/125

Height: 4"11'

I feel the same way you do maisiedotes. I was doing WW and didn't think that eating cheetos, even though they were in my points, was really best for me. It usually ended up in me eating cookies, candies, etc anyways. I find that for me, South beach really has the structure I need. There are things you can eat, and things you can't (especially in the first 2 weeks).

As Releve mentioned, you can eat from the approved lists and you don't have to measure, which is nice. It's also healthy food, not packaged or "frankenfood" as I've heard it called. Give it a try if you want. There's a great south beach forum on this website.
Maryjaneld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #5  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Boy oh boy do I understand too much freedom! Then on the other hand when something is too restrictive I seem to rebel! Yeah I am a mess, I know!

For me I know it is not wise to eat the junk food (candies, cookies, chips, etc) because it leads to wanting more and more. I really like the people here that talk about OP or on program. And I like the idea of PLANNING and staying with the plan. Now the big thing is...what is my plan? My plan is ever evolving and learn more and more each day.

maisiedotes good for you asking for help. There are so many ideas floating around. I have faith that you will find what works for you.
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #6  

Thank you so much! I am going to look into south beach. Is it conducive to a veg lifestyle? My husband's cousin lost alot of weight on it a while ago but she wasn't veg. and I lost touch with her..
Old 02-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/136/125

Height: 4"11'

maisiedotes,
I'm not a vegetarian, but from what i've seen from the south beach forum, it would work very well with that lifestyle.
For breakfast, you can have eggs, cheese, veggies or a fat free plain yogurt
for snacks you can have veggies, hummus, cheesesticks, nuts
for lunches or dinners, you can have lots of beans, veggies, or meat substitutes, tofu, soy burgers
- After the first phase (2 weeks) you can have fruits and start adding back carbs.
Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask
Maryjaneld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

i have never tried south beach. the only caution i would have is that i go squirrely if i dont have carbs - to the point that i start binging like crazy!!!

i hope this works for you...and if not... dont see it as a failure...see it as knowledge and learn from it...and try something else...
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #9  

woohoo! I just checked with the library and they have it available. I have a bazillion diet books and have not succeeded on any of them so I want to see if it wil work for me first... thanks!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #10  
Be happy.

You might be interested in this thread: Vegetarian South Beach
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote