Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Unexpected NSV, my best jeans are too big

I'm still hovering around 314 (up a couple pounds one day, down again the next....), but even with the weight not budging, I've continued to lose inches.

At my size, I really didn't think that was possible - losing girth would have to mean losing poundage, I would have thought.

I am able to be much more active, and I've had fewer pain flare days so it's a lot more fun to be active. So I might be gaining a little muscle, while losing the fat. Not enough to lose any weight, but toning up (if toning up is the appropriate word for going from very flabby to still very flabby, only slightly less so).

A few months ago I bought a pair of "real" jeans (no elastic waist band - a first in five or six years) which I was able to buy off the rack at Fashion Bug (also a first in several years).

When I first dropped to 314 lbs, I was able to celebrate fitting into another pair of jeans I bought at Goodwill - but my first pair still fit well (they were a little looser, but far from too big).

Yesterday, hubby and I spent most of the day running errands and shopping (another first for me in a long while, being able to spend almost the whole day shopping). My feet are killing me today (being able to walk long enough to get sore feet is also an NSV for me).

While shopping, I noticed that my jeans (the first pair I bought) kept slipping and I kept having to hike up my pants to keep the crotch of the jeans where they were supposed to be.

It's still a bit of a mystery to me how I lost so many inches without losing more weight.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-18-2010 at 09:34 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #2  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

Congratulations!!! Those are great NSVs!!!
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 241/223/160

Height: 5'4"

Hooray for loose waistbands and for the strength to be active!

Congrats, kaplods!
Mariella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #4  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

What great NSVs! You are doing fabulous - or should I say flab-u-LESS! I am hoping the inches around my lower waist/waist will start to melt away soon. Hooray for a loose waist!

Last edited by HotWings; 02-18-2010 at 10:26 AM.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #5  
*Newbiee

S/C/G: 220/TICKER!/135

Height: 5'3

i noticed that i lose inches first before weight...good job though =]
Hyphey2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Good, good stuff
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/208.6/165 (HW285)

Height: 6'

Congratulations! Muscles must be getting firmer/toned, makes the belly smaller w/o loosing pounds. Keep it up. I can't wait to need my belt to keep my pants up!
mkyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #8  
It's OK to be hungry

S/C/G: 297/T/170

Height: 5'3"

How exciting!!
roxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #9  

Thanks for all the encouragement. It couldn't happen at a better time. I'm PMSing in a major way and the crazy-mad hunger and cravings are driving me absolutely padded-cell bonkers.

My insurance stopped covering the birth control that kept my PMDD (killer PMS) under control. I had to switch to a different birth control, and it's not nearly as effective at keeping at bay the mood swings, crazy hunger, water weight gain, severe menstrual cramps, heavy bleeding (sorry TMI). At least it's better than when I was on no bc.

Hubby's started teasing me about being a werewolf again (in his defense, I did nearly chew his head off).
Old 02-19-2010, 12:46 AM   #10  
Mom to 2 princesses

S/C/G: 231/223/115

Height: 4'8

WTG!! I have noticed my jeans are a little loser as well but not by much.
I can't wait till I can fit in a regular pair of jeans!!
Congratulations!!
Heavenlymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/208.6/165 (HW285)

Height: 6'

Hang in there kaplods. The good thing about TOM is that it doesn't last forever, even though sometimes it feels like it does.
mkyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 250.6/see ticker/185/?

Height: 5'8"

Congratulations on getting ready to fit into a smaller size! It is amazing what a lot of hard work and persistence will do.
Wishing you the best from a fellow Wisconsinite!
Judy
Lil Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 282/282/145

Height: 5' 5''

Congratulations on your success! You may be losing inches regardless of not losing pounds because you are toning and building muscle. Whatever it is, keep it up. Now, can I ask a question...what is NSV? I keep seeing that on the threads and don't have a clue. Thanks.
ThinkinThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Judy View Post
It is amazing what a lot of hard work and persistence will do.
Judy
LOL, for me, this time, it's more a case of "It's amazing what a very small amount of easy work will do, when done consistently.

Both hard and easy work pays off with persistance.

To use the analogy of hole-digging; In all of my earlier attempts, I tried to dig a mile deep hole in as short a time as possible. I used a much bigger and better shovel than I'm using now, but I had less success, because when I'd get tired and discouraged I'd let the hole fill back up again (either through neglect or my actively throwing more dirt in the hole for spite).

Now, I'm digging a hole with a teaspoon, and I'm only digging a few spoonfuls every day. It's easy and it's slow - but that's ok. I'm willing to be the tortoise in this race, because when I was a rabbit I always got sidetracked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkinThin View Post
...what is NSV? I keep seeing that on the threads and don't have a clue. Thanks.
Non-scale victory.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-20-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 250.6/see ticker/185/?

Height: 5'8"

Whether maintaining or losing, it's all hard.

Making good food choices, going to the gym when I would rather be sitting at this computer with a cup of coffee, planning ahead, shopping, preparing healthy foods, taking risks at restaurants and on vacations is hard for me! Sometimes it is easier than other times to make good choices. But this is HARD work!

My best to all on this journey!
Judy
Lil Judy is offline   Reply With Quote