Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Smile I Finally Got Sleeved!!

Hi All,

I don't post much but I do appreciate this forum for its knowledge and support. I got the vertical sleeve on Wednesday and am feeling ok except for a lot of excess gas that I keeping burping. I was told that this is normal but can't help but wonder when it will go away.

Take care,
Pennie
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Congrats! Are you taking an acid reducer? That could help with the burping. Other gas (such as abdominal gas pains or even shoulder pains) can happen early out because they pumped your abdomen full of gas like a balloon in order to be able to move the instruments around (assuming your procedure was performed laparoscopically), so that all needs to get worked out.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #3  

lol the gas goes away when i eat i feel normal now im 5 months and 3 weeks out and down 106 pounds 67 more to go!! congrats sweetie!

Last edited by bloodroses; 02-14-2010 at 07:58 AM.
bloodroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Thanks All!

The gas problem is much better now that a few more days have passed. I am taking Prevacid in the morning. With the sleeve, I am particularly interested if I get hungry--so far no, just head hunger when I went to Safeway today and all I could do was window shop and buy some more Crystal Light. I never used to drink CL and OceanSpray but now I just don't like plain water which is a major change for me.
Take care everyone!
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

I was the same way with plain water early post-op. Pre-op, I would easily drink at LEAST 2 liters of plain water daily. After my surgery, though, plain water was icky and even made me feel a bit nauseous, so I, too, invested heavily in sugar free drink mixes. They were a lifesaver for me to get in fluids. After a few months (maybe 4-6?), I could drink plain water again without a problem.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #6  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

You go!
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #7  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

and

I know you will do well
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #8  

Hi everyone. I am going to Seattle next week to get a full work-up and decide between Lap-Band and the Verticle Sleeve. Thanks to the "sleevers" who posted. It is hard to find anything from folks who have had that procedure done.

I keep waffling about the procedure I want done. Would anyone here mind telling why they chose the sleeve??
Bunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Good for you CatWav! Burping..... It hurts you so!!! LOL!! Better out than in. Better out the attic than the basement.....

Last edited by nanj; 03-12-2010 at 06:05 PM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

Hello fellow sleeved here.

Congrats on getting your sleeve. Don't take my word for it but you might never feel the pangs of hunger ever again. It's been four months since I had mine and still no gurgling anywhere. I only drink still water, but bottled. When I first had my operation water also tasted icky I would only drink apple-juice(funnily it was the other way round all my life). Luckily 2 months after, it turned back to normal once again.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #11  
ChubNoMo

I'm reading this a little late....
Bunti, have you checked out the site obesityhelp.com? It has forums for every type of WLS, including the sleeve. The whole forum is sleevers and you will get all the info you could ever need

Karin
VSG 4/08
VeggieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunti View Post
Hi everyone. I am going to Seattle next week to get a full work-up and decide between Lap-Band and the Verticle Sleeve. Thanks to the "sleevers" who posted. It is hard to find anything from folks who have had that procedure done.

I keep waffling about the procedure I want done. Would anyone here mind telling why they chose the sleeve??
I have a sleeve stomach. I read a lot of stories from band patients about the band slipping (usually then needing to be removed or else cause damage to the esophagus), causing major reflux, eroding the stomach, and, well, not working. I have also read of people going in to have their band removed (for whatever reason) and the surgery taking longer than expected because the body had built up so much scar tissue around the band that the surgeon has to sort of unbury it. With the sleeve, there are no fills/unfills, and no foreign object to cause any problems. I have seen many people revise from a band TO a sleeve either due to band complications or the band not working. The band does work for some people, and VERY well for some people, but, according to both studies and my own personal observations, those who reach goal with a band are more the exception than the norm (not that reaching goal is ever guaranteed with any procedure, but the stats for the band are rather dismal in the long term - there are even hospitals in Europe that have stopped placing bands due to the poor results).

If you have a good reason to get the band when the VSG is an option for you, I would love to hear it, but I have yet to find one. I think many people end up with a band instead of VSG due to financial issues since most insurance companies in the US do not yet cover the VSG.