Old 02-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #1  

Default So thirsty

I'm in the middle (still) of the induction phase, and I am so thirsty, I drink a lot of water, but it seems I cannot quench my thrist. Any reasons why?

I got my Dr Atkins NEW Diet Revolution book on Saturday (I lent my older book out a long time ago and had to order another one). I haven't gotten through it all yet, so maybe this will be covered, but in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas as to why?
I used to drink maybe 5 to 8 cans of diet coke, for the ice cold fizz, but I had given that up at least three or four weeks ago.

Also, without the "strips" how does one tell if your in ketosis? Could thirst be a sign?
LisaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

This WOE (way of eating) is very diuretic in nature. Your body is losing a ton of water weight that first couple of weeks, and so is very thirsty. I was thirsty as could be for the first few weeks, too, and waking up every morning with the most awful dry mouth.

Then I gained about six pounds back of pure water weight and my body stopped being so thirsty and dry.

Now I'm just continuing on the diet and hoping to lose about a pound of fat per week on average.

Don't know the answer to the ketosis thing - I just assume that if you are keeping your carbs at 20 or below, you will certainly be in ketosis.

Welcome!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #3  

Not what I wanted to hear....gaining water weight back, but it's better than gaining "fat". Thanks for responding. I have always drank a lot of water, carry bottles with me all the time, and I know even during TOM, the more water I drink, the less water I retain. So...I'll continue drinking the water and keep low carbing. I don't think I'm getting enough veggies either. Working on that.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

LisaSue,
Excessive thirst is a classic symptom of diabetes. You may want to have your blood sugar tested to be sure.
As far as ketosis...you don't need the strips to tell....I lost over 100 lbs on Atkins and those darn strips never changed color for me. You can tell you're in ketosis by a metallic taste in your mouth and your urine will have an odd smell.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 176/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

When I eat something salty, I need to drink lots of water. Also, after I exercise (I am still doing Leslie Sansone's WATP), I drink lots of water (my body is sceaming at me, drink, drink!)

Next time I see my doctor I am going to get my sugar levels tested as diabetes does run in my family due to being overweight. Another reason I am on Atkins.

And so far, I am still not using sticks.

Toby
TobyThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #6  

I had my blood sugars tested not that long ago, and I'm fine in that regard. I have about 13 more pounds to lose and I'm losing very slowly. I'm wondering if (three days ago, I bought and started taking a Natural Psyllium fiber pill) and since then, I've been so thirsty. It's helping, but I needed a little help. I take Coconut oil as well, and that helps me with a number of things, from dry skin/hair (using it externally) as well as a little added fat (even my golden retriever loves it. It makes his hair so soft).
I do know the more water I drink, the thirstier I tend to get.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #7  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I read on Low Carb Friends that excessive thirst is a symptom of ketosis. I don't know where they are getting their intel, but I did experience the same thing during my first two weeks of Induction (I'm not diabetic, I get checked every year b/c of family history.)

It'll pass. At least it did for me, though I am generally thirsty all the time anyway, so really it just went back to normal levels of excessive thirst for me!
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #8  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

Wha?!? Ketosis makes you thirsty? Awesome blossom because I am thirsty all the time since I stared Atkins and also I check my blood sugar out of morbid curiosity and it is never high. Well crud monkeys. I got all the signs of Ketosis except the ensuing weight loss. Argh! Oh wait, I am losing, just not as much or as fast as I want. Crud monkeys!
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #9  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I found the link to where I read the thirst thing: ketosis symptoms from the Atkins FAQ.

They chalk the excessive thirst up to the diet being a natural diuretic.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #10  

Thank you for the Ketosis link. I thought I heard that at one time, one possible sign for when you're in ketosis, is thirst. My mouth gets dry even when I'm drinking a lot of water. I really hope this is a sign for me. I'm so impatient.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

I know it's hard - it's so hard to be patient when we want to be our ideal weight right away!

But my husband said I'm getting skinnier a lot faster than I got fat. That made me stop and think, LOL! Have patience. I'll bet by the hottest part of summer, we all will be looking and feeling better than we do right now! Not saying we will be at goal, because we all have different goals, but I think every one of us will have made visible progress and will be feeling even better by the hottest days of summer!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #12  

HealthierLori, The bottom of your posts,
"Patience, patience, patience. It didn't pile on in one month and it won't go away in one month either. Slow and steady wins the race."

Has me thinking....now I probably could put on 5 lbs. if not more over a weekend, but it would take a lot longer to lose it. That's just unfair. LOL But...I keep telling myself slow and steady wins the race. I've read or heard, if you're a slow loser (not that this is for everyone), but a lot of people who lose weight at a slower rate have a better chance at keeping it off. Not sure if that's true, but if it is, I'm happy with that, because it's taking me soooo long to lose a few pounds, so it seems that way.
I do like your quote. It's motivating and keeps me and my thoughts in perspective.