Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

Question Anyone ever make homemade pasta?

Last month I received a pasta machine as a birthday gift.I have probably used it a dozen times now, it is really fun to make your own pastas. My question is has anyone else made homemade pastas? I am trying to incorporate more whole grains in my diet, so when I make the pasta I want to use something other than all-purpose or semolina flour. I did find a recipe that says all the different kinds of flour that could be substituted, such as brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, and whole wheat flour. Has anyone tried these? Do they give a nice flavor and texture?

Last edited by utgirl09; 02-12-2010 at 07:48 PM.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #2  
it's always something

Happy belated birthday!!

I've made pasta but it's been ages. I think if I were going to try a healthier route, I'd try white whole wheat. It's kind of hard to find, but if any of your local supermarkets carry King Arthur flour they will probably have the white whole wheat. It's a softer wheat than regular whole wheat so it's likely to give a better texture and flavor than regular whole wheat but still has all the nutrients. If you do try this or another type of flour, please let us know how it comes out. I might have to dust off my old machine and make a batch too
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

I've made pasta, but just with white durum and semolina flour. I plan on trying ww next, but we're only going to go half with it and see how that turns out. I don't want it to be too heavy in taste. I've eaten buckwheat and brown rice pasta, but in blends with other flours. I've heard that they can be a little harder to cook with because they sometimes need more liquids and the buckwheat tends to be more gooey, but I don't know that first hand.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #4  

Thank you ladies for your input. Tomorrow I am going to try a blend of whole wheat flour and white flour. These are the flours I have on hand. Next time I go to the grocery store I will try to find the brown rice flour.I may hold off on the buckwheat since it does get gooey. If I have to experiment with what works and what doesn't, that is okay. I love to cook and try new recipes. I will definitely tell you guys how it works out :0

Last edited by utgirl09; 02-12-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #5  

I made some pasta with a mix of whole wheat and white flour today. When I have made pasta in the past I thought it tasted no better than regular dry pasta. The only draw was that I could add flavor into the noodles. This pasta today tastes so much better than regular whole wheat pasta. I added black pepper and chipotle peppers and I loved it. I wish I could have used all whole wheat, but the dough was hard enough to work with as a blend of flours. It was not easy to make, but it was worth the trouble!