Old 02-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Default Am I fooling myself?

This is the first week that I haven't lost weight. It's been bouncing around this week give or take a pound (I know this since I weigh daily). My activity level has increased (water class 3x a week, 45 min sessions). I have not decreased or increased my calories.

In anticipation of the scale numbers not moving down I am trying to mentally prepare myself. I am wondering (justifying???) if it's not necessarily a plateau coming my way because....maybe I am building muscle? I see muscle definition where there was none before. I am also loosing inches and have gone down one size in my top and bottom.

So, is it possible that there will not be a plateau? Just a period of readjustment, where I am building muscle, therefore I will not see a drop in wt for awhile? As long as I am losing inches, am I not at a plateau? It would really help me to think I have not stalled!

I guess I need to know the defintion of plateau!

I am so glad I decided to start measuring my waist, because in the past not losing wt would have derailed me BIG TIME! I have lost a total of 6 inches, an 1 1/2 of that in the last month. I haven't measured anything else because my biggest concern is getting my waist size down to eliminate future health issues associated with belly fat.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #2  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I am by no means an expert, but I always thought that is what plateaus were - periods when your body was running around readjusting things for you. When I have plateaued my measurements continued to change a bit, so I clung to that for dear life. I keep all that data pretty much, so I can not forget the big picture (so to speak).
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I've often wondered what most people considered a plateau also.

I did the same thing this past month, added exercise and "plateaued" as far as I was concerned because the scale didn't budge up or down. It's finally moving again so I'm a little more upbeat about it now. It took a good full month for things to move again, but I am so much stronger, have much more endurance and my BP is almost normal!! 122/70 last night.

I now track weight, waist and BP to keep me motivated. As long as my BP is going in the right direction, who could possibly complain, ya know?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #4  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

I hit a nasty plateau a couple of years ago while I was doing WW. It lasted about a month, and it was right around the 200lb mark. In fact, I think it was when I was at like 201-202 because I remember being extra frustrated that onederland was so close but I couldn't seem to get there.

Just hang in there. It'll happen.
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #5  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Plateau or not a plateau?? That is the question!
It's only been a week. It's really too early to tell.
Keep doing what you've been doing and eventually the scale will go down. In the meantime, keep track of your measurements to see your progress.
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote