Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Default Questions about WLS

If this has been covered before, can someone point me in the right directions? For GB surgery, what is the recover time in the hospital? How long are you there? How much recovery at home? I have a physical job, how soon can I return? How often are post surgical appts and meetings (hospital is a bit far from my house). What really about excess skin (a huge fear of mine). I lost 85+ pounds in 2005 on my own (lost quickly and gained it back quicker) and didn't have an ounce of excess skin but WLS is quicker so??? Typical eating day a week after surgery? A month? A year? What about alcohol? I don't drink but once in a while, I like to get a buzz with my husband and play games, talk, etc....maybe twice a year...possible? What about other addictions? I hear of some people that because the CAN'T eat that they turn to other vices...alcohol, drugs (severe case). Does anyone turn to exercise? Did you tell people you were doing it? What about long term (many years out of surgery). What about food withdrawls? I suffer from headaches from lack of food sometime or lack of sugar....how is the general feeling from such lo cal eating? Okay...there may be more but I'll start with that (LOL)!! Thanks in advance!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #2  
Justasweety

S/C/G: 338/274/150

Height: 5'8"

WOW...lol..okay here we go.
1-I had RNY lap. Most normal stay is three days. Day of surgery. Swallow test the next day. Proof you can tolerate the liquid diet and discharge the last day.
2-If your job is very physical you need to keep in mind that you have a 15 lbs max weight limit for 6 weeks after surgery. Some people go back in one week. Most take 2-3 weeks.
3-Appt. really vary by dr. I had a two week..one month..then 3 month..then a 6 month. Be prepared to travel..lol..my dr is two hours away. I have spent ALOT on gas..lol
4-Excess skin varies soo much by person. I have alot. I was told by Dr. that it is hard to tell before hand. Some people you would never think to have the extra skin do and others you would really expect to don't.
5-Most likely a week after surgery you will still be on liquids. For several weeks actually. I am at the stage of 4 oz meals 5-6 times a day. I don't always eat the whole 4 oz. Slider foods are easy to get the 4 in(chili) but dense things like protein (chicken only) I can't eat a full 4.
6- No alcohol for one year after surgery is my surgeons thing. Your liver is going through enough stress without the added alcohol..plus alcohol is alot of empty empty calories. Oh, and realistically..for life..no beer, champagne, sparkling wine..anything with carbonation is hard on your pouch.
7-Cross addictions is a big factor. That is one reason you have to complete a psych eval and stuff beforehand and you have to watch to make sure you aren't falling into other destructive habits. Food has been a crutch and a comfort for most all my life. Its hard to break that relationship.
8-I do exercise. I feel better already and I love the satisfaction I get of being able to work out and not be dying at the end. You need to make exercise part of your life for your life. And yes, you can cross addict to exercise just like anything else.
9-I did not tell almost anyone til after surgery was done. I had thoroughly researched and knew what I wanted. You will get so many different experiences and answers that you have to make a true informed decision for yourself. Research actual facts. Of course don't totally disregard other peoples experiences but use those to help your research. I also didn't want to hear from people that I was taking the easy way out, that makes me sooo mad. It is NOT the easy way out.
10- Head hunger is a REAL thing. You will crave and want but you have to work through that if its something that can harm you or your pouch. I was surprised at how much of my "hungry" feelings were actually just head hunger.
11-With RNY your main goal is getting in protein after your surgery and your vitamins and your liquids. With that, I never feel like I am lacking. It is all in the choices you make.
My RNY has been a true blessing for me. I would do it again in a hearbeat. I have not had to take insulin or b/p meds since surgery. I am a healthier person already. However, everyone is not as lucky as I am. I tolerate all foods well. Some become lactose intolerant. Some have problems for life. I would suggest going to a few weight loss seminars. Learn more about the procedures. Research alot. This isn't a wonder pill..it is a tool for life. You can misuse and abuse it.

Last edited by Justasweety; 02-07-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Justasweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Thanks. I am a house cleaner so I don't lift per se but I wash floors on my hands and knees and really get into it so it's very physical. I just had rotator cuff surgery and had to take 3 months off so I can't do that again. If I do it in the summer, I won't be in school and I may be able to take a month off to recover from work. Is that not enough time? I have had 3 c sections and had no pain meds (no narcotics only advil) and went home the next day fine. No complications at all and was vacuuming the day I got home (kind of OCD). Just trying to plan. I'd love more responses!!!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #4  
Justasweety

OH, I forgot to mention. I have had one vaginal birth, one c-section of twins, and several other procedures done. This is BY FAR the worst pain I have had. I am NOT a wuss but I felt like it after this. I remember waking up in recovery ( repetitive motion seems to help me when I hurt) and I was shaking my head in a no motion back and forth because it was all I could move. I was VERY grateful for the pain pump..lol
Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

Hi Kristen -

Nice to meet you!!! here are some links to some threads that might help answer some of your Qs. you'd be wise to discuss these issues with your doc, especially the back to work Q.

just want to add that with the gastric bypass, there are changes to the digestive signals [like insulin, incretins] and you simply will not feel hungry. at least for a few weeks! make sure you get enough protein during those weeks and beyond!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...right-you.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...-time-rny.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...ions-mine.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...-now-what.html
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #6  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

Aww, no champagne after surgery? lol, that's the only kind of alcohol I can actually tolerate. Oh well. =P
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30and300 View Post
Aww, no champagne after surgery? lol, that's the only kind of alcohol I can actually tolerate. Oh well. =P
soooooooo off topic, but...fan of Mass Effect?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #8  
So tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
soooooooo off topic, but...fan of Mass Effect?
Totally. Played through ME2, going back with a new character in ME1 to play ME2... yeah. Quite addicted. lol. Love this game series. You're a gamer too then? =) I posted on the gamer topic somewhere on this forum, dunno where it went.

Last edited by 30and300; 02-09-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justasweety View Post
OH, I forgot to mention. I have had one vaginal birth, one c-section of twins, and several other procedures done. This is BY FAR the worst pain I have had. I am NOT a wuss but I felt like it after this. I remember waking up in recovery ( repetitive motion seems to help me when I hurt) and I was shaking my head in a no motion back and forth because it was all I could move. I was VERY grateful for the pain pump..lol

I've had two c-sections, a gall bladder removal, a tubal ligation, a broken ankle with metal implanted, and the RNY was the EASIEST of surgeries for me...

i had surgery on a tuesday
went home on wednesday
off of all pain meds by thursday
had my drain pulled on friday
had I NOT had a bad reaction to the steri strips I would have been able to go back to work 6 days later (a desk job totally)
I was driving myself the monday after surgery...

everyone is different in terms of their recovery.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #10  
Justasweety

Default Pain.

I totally agree. I honestly went in there thinking I would breeze through this one. I have a real high tolerance, wow I was completely wrong. I'm happy for everyone who has it good with the pain levels. On the other hand I have been really lucky with food tolerance. I read where alot of people can't tolerate chicken, basically alot of red meat, milk, ect...I was able to eat every food I have tried so far. Isn't it amazing how the same procedure is soooo different for each person?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

chicken is hard for me, which sucks cause I love chicken. but i have no problem with beef.
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckslove View Post
chicken is hard for me, which sucks cause I love chicken. but i have no problem with beef.
I had problems with chicken until after 4 months out
Old 02-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #13  
So tired

Does Pepto help with the problems when you eat something that doesn't sit well? Or do you just have to wait it out?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #14  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30and300 View Post
Does Pepto help with the problems when you eat something that doesn't sit well? Or do you just have to wait it out?
you cannot take PEPTO after RNY it has aspirin in it.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #15  
ONEderland here I come!

oh and if something gets stuck you can take papaya enzyme
walk
wait it out
or puke.