Old 02-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/257/184

Height: 6'0"

Default Is it all just a fluke?

I went to weigh in today at weight watchers and lost 3.8 pounds! Yahoo, right? Well, just like every other Monday that I have weighed in and lost weight I simply won't let myself get excited about the loss. I notice my mind starting to say things like "oh, it's probably just water weight...my clothes are probably lighter this week, etc." I feel like it's all just a fluke and the weight will come back any second.

My question is...have any of you felt this way, and if so, how long did it take you to finally "accept" your weight loss and accomplishments AND be proud of them.
brandijune44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

When I start to accept, I'll let you know! I do the same thing!! I attribute both my successes and failures to other things!

I didn't gain weight, my clothes shrunk!

I didn't lose weight, my clothes stretched out!

I didn't gain weight, it's just water.

I didn't lose weight, my scale was just on the wrong side of the bathroom.

I didn't gain weight, my shoes have more mud on them.

I didn't lose weight, I just got a hair cut.

I hate that kind of thinking. I actually like to chart my weight loss, because I can't ignore a giant downward slope as large as my computer screen showing me that the slopes are far longer than the plateaus!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I am the same way and it's not fun. That's why it's taken me so long to lose the weight I have lost and why I still don't believe it's really possible to get to goal. Things will be a lot easier if you start believing in yourself NOW. Obviously I have no advice on how to go about doing that, since I haven't figured it out myself, but I would suggest trying to figure something out. When you find it, let me know, okay???
Sunrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #4  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

Losing weight (especially 100+ lbs) is a crazy journey and it does take a while for the brain to catch up. I've been at this a year and I still have moments where I don't believe I really lost any weight and have a hard time remembering all my accomplishments.

My brain has been very very slow in catching up to my weight loss. It's gotten better, but there are many times when I think of myself as a size 24, not 12. Like you mentioned, there are times when I see a loss on the scale or go down a pant size that I think it's a fluke (e.g. the scale is broke, my pants were really much bigger than the 'claimed' size). A few times a month, the irrational side of me takes over (or tries to) and I nearly convince myself that this is all a dream and I'm still 300+ lbs.

But like I said it's getting better, and those times I think it's all a fluke I look at my before pictures or try on my 'fat jeans' and remind myself how far I've come.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 189

Height: 5'5

Love the charting! I hang mine right above the scale and it feels "real" when I can look back from a month ago and see what I've ccomplished.
getittogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #6  
TimeForAChange

S/C/G: 202/202/140

Height: 5'5"

Yea, i feel like that ALL the time.. i just got this new digital scale & i keep thinking its wrong. Idk y. :S But, i'm slowly getting used to it. I'm keeping confindence!
HannahBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I think the same things... not sure if I ever WONT.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

If you have been overweight most or all of your life its hard to see yourself any other way. I have gotten down to a "normal" size 2 or 3 times, and never quite owned it. This might sound weird, but I wonder if not making the mental adjustment had something to do with putting the weight back on.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Oh yes...we all have those crazy thoughts - like maybe it's not real. Is it the clothes weight less, etc.

Every time we step on the scale it is just one moment in time - that can be impacted by many things. Remember that it is just that number for that moment.

You are doing so many great positive and healthy things. It makes sense that the scale will move down. Give yourself credit for all the other things you do: plan food, post at 3fc, drink water, movement etc.

Hooray for your efforts showing at the scale, too.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/257/184

Height: 6'0"

Thank you all for your wonderful support and letting me know that I'm not the only one who thinks these irrational thoughts. I'll let you know when I figure out how to truly believe in myself and accept the many small successes along this crazy journey.
brandijune44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/210/180

Height: 5' 7"

I don't have so much trouble excepting the number on the scale as being afraid I'll wake up and my weight loss will all have been a dream. Only once before in my life have I lost weight and I got really cocky about it and could never see myself heavy again. That's all it took for me to start putting the weight back on. I'm trying really hard to stay humble and very thankful for my weight loss and never lose sight of what I weighed not long ago and what it was like.
NebraskaLady is offline   Reply With Quote