Old 02-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #1  

Default 231.6 is NOT my lucky number!

I have been back on the wagon since January 27th. I've started off weighing everyday because it is great motivation for me. The first week there was significant weight loss that kept me going and then now for the last week, I've been stuck at 231.6 or around that. My weight doesn't fluctuate much when I weigh at the same time every day. This last week's weigh log would give a clue to that:

I've been working out here and there and making sure I eat smaller, more nutritious meals with extra focus on getting protein. I'm one who doesn't like protein much at all and eat very little throughout the day, but when I do it's normally pastas and breads. So changing those habits.

INSTEAD, I see where I need to work on and I'm not letting my trend get me again this time. I'm stepping off the scale. I'm sticking to plan. Working in exercising more. And NOT eating that chocolate to soothe my scale woes.

Last edited by absster; 07-12-2011 at 03:33 PM.
absster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

Well it looks like we are in the same boat. For the past two weeks I've been bouncing around 233 and 230. It's annoying, and at times I want to yell and say forget it!

Just stick with it. The scale will move eventually! The fact that you came up with solutions to beat the scale is awesome! Keep on working and you will get there!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #3  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

Try to just keep positive. You've had a terrific loss in a short time! I went through the same thing. It seemed that as soon as I changed my eating habits and started exercising a little, I lost quickly, but then slowed down to where I got discouraged. I learned that losing 1-2 pounds per week is normal for me - and sometimes it's less. Once you make a healthy change, you'll find that you feel so much better that that becomes enough while you wait for the scale to move. Plus body changes take place often before the scale shows a change. Keep going - I know that you can do it!

BTW I live just south of you! My DH works in Overland Park.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/170/128

Height: 5'5

abbster,

I don't know about you, but I do much better with a more specific eating plan. In the past, I have had trouble just having smaller portions because my little indulgences that slip my mind add pounds to the scale! lol. Maybe you could try a particular plan? If watching portions works for you, then go for it girl! But maybe your body just needs a kick-start with a particular way of eating to get the weight loss going again. I know you don't like proteins, so maybe weight watchers or calorie counting? Like I said, you know your body better than anyone, so the choice is completely yours! Good luck!
katybug12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

The exercise could be throwing you off, which I know sounds counter intuitive. I lost a good bit of weight the first two months, added exercise and stalled out. Everyone tells me it's normal. I know that it is, but I also feel your frustration.

What's getting me through it this time is having a goal of a timeline in mind. I'm giving it a year, no matter what. I will continue eating this way and exercising for one year no matter what. That way plateaus are just minor (ok major) annoyances, but not cause for giving up.

It also helps to pay attention to how my clothes are fitting. I've lost very little weight this month, but I've dropped a dress size on my top half, and about a half dress size on my bottom half.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #6  

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMeaganx View Post
Well it looks like we are in the same boat. For the past two weeks I've been bouncing around 233 and 230. It's annoying, and at times I want to yell and say forget it!
Sorry to hear that you are going through it as well, but a tad bit relieved that it's not just me. I haven't battled being over weight until the last several years (and even at that-I hadn't really worked hard to get it off), so I feel a bit new to all the emotions and feelings that go along with trying to loose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchick View Post
You've had a terrific loss in a short time!

BTW I live just south of you! My DH works in Overland Park.
Yeah, I keep telling myself that too. I had a quick loss in the beginning. It's amazing how the emotional part seems to be harder to battle than the actual weight loss itself. Seems like I've already learned so much about myself just working to achieve a goal.

I love it here. We moved here about a year and a half ago from Oklahoma. We just kind of landed in OP. My husband works down at the Plaza-so it's a bit of a drive for him. Honestly, I couldn't tell you what was down South of us! ha! All I know is I hit I-35 South until I get back home to family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katybug12 View Post
Maybe you could try a particular plan? .....But maybe your body just needs a kick-start with a particular way of eating to get the weight loss going again. I know you don't like proteins, so maybe weight watchers or calorie counting?
I've thought about doing some kind of plan and I've done calorie counting before. I just tend to get a little obsessive over it and I find myself annoying! ha! I know several who have done weight watchers, but I have a hard time spending the money on stuff like that. I do keep an eye on calories, but don't necessarily count them. I'm notorious for not eating enough calories in the day-so then I feel like I need to fulfill my calorie requirement for the day. Part of me is thankful that I've never done much in the way of over eating for the most part, but it's definitely hard to retrain the mind to make myself eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
The exercise could be throwing you off, which I know sounds counter intuitive. I lost a good bit of weight the first two months, added exercise and stalled out.......I'm giving it a year, no matter what. I will continue eating this way and exercising for one year no matter what.....It also helps to pay attention to how my clothes are fitting. I've lost very little weight this month, but I've dropped a dress size on my top half, and about a half dress size on my bottom half.
Very true about the exercising. My build (family trait) has always been more muscular. Even in all the lack of exercising and the extra cusion on my arms and legs, you can still see my muscles well when I flex them. It gave me a complex when I was in school because my very thin friends, would be wearing smaller sizes and weighing less. I was 138lbs wearing a size 6 and everyone would argue with me about how much I weighed. They couldn't believe that I weighed as much as I did. SO there is that possibility that my muscles are liking the workout.

I like what you said about sticking to a time frame. Telling yourself that you will do it for such amount of time. I think I'm ready to have my husband lock up the scale somewhere that I can't get to it. He uses it or else I'd totally take it out of the house. Tell myself I'm going to stick to a plan for X amount of time and then once I reach that X, then I weigh. I'll have to think on that one a little more.

OH, I'm SO looking forward to my clothes feeling big on me. It happened a while ago when I got down to 200. I wasn't really even working at losing it very much and then one day, I put on a pair of 16s because I was getting rid of some clothes and needed to see if I still wanted them. I was SHOCKED to see that they fit! I couldn't even begin to explain how happy I was. I was literally dancing around the house in my 16s! And I'm not that kind of bubbly girl! I LOVED it!

Loved hearing your bits of journey ladies and looking to see where you've been and where you are now! Good luck to you too!

(sorry for the long winded-ness!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:28 AM   #7  

I talked to my husband tonight about hiding the scale in the garage some where (oh, the lengths we go to!) and I'm setting a goal date to stick to plan until then. Then I'll be able to weigh and then set my next goal. And rinse and repeat until I'm to wear I want to be. I think that would be best for me. Not having the scale stare at me every time I go to the bathroom and tempting me to step on every day.

So now I've got to figure out when that day or mini goal will be and get him to hide it from me!

Thanks for the idea Eliana!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #8  
I'm melting.....

Hey Abbster - I've lived in Kansas my whole life except for 1 year in Mississippi after college graduation. I worked on the Plaza long ago; that is a difficult place to get to (no direct routes), but a beautiful place to work, and the holiday lights are so pretty. Just try to stay positive - I tend to get impatient and yell at my scale a lot, but you'll start shrinking again soon. And if Overland Park continues to annex towns to the south (you probably haven't been there long enough to know that Overland Park is a great growing monster of a city and likes to annex all the towns to the south) anyway, if they manage to jump the county line, we'd be the next town they'd get I hesitate to say my town simply because it's a small enough town that everyone would instantly know who I am, and then I wouldn't be able to vent about all the crazy people who live here.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #9  
I'm melting.....

Oh, and I wanted to say that I hope it's okay that I lurk here. I don't usually post since I haven't declared my goal weight to be down 100 lbs, but with my height, I think that 112 would be a good goal, but I can't ever remember being that weight and hesitate to put it as a goal because it seems so unobtainable. So I lurk here because 112 is sort of my secret, maybe someday, goal.