Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Bacteria Vaginosis

Its been years that I struggled with this problem but just assumed it was normal even though I was ashamed about the smell. I would take long baths thinking it wasn't normal. When I told my mom about it she told me it was normal and that everyone had a natural smell.
well it did become a problem when dh and I were married. He never said a word but I could tell he wasn't enjoying our intimate life together. So much that we started becoming more distant and I went into a depression that I knew dh wasn't attracted to me that I just stopped caring about the way I looked and gained weight. after the damage was done I looked at myself and couldn't believe how I could allow that to make me give up, so this made me feel even worse where I gained more weight.
Finally 6 yrs later dh finally was honest (as much as he didn't like the idea of hurting my feelings) and told me that the smell that was there wasn't normal. I had seen a doctor and was Rx'd meds, after finishing the meds the problem came back days later. It was then that I decided to seek a natural approach. It helped to lessen the problem but its caused dh and I not to feel comfortable about being intimate. we both fear the smell coming back or getting worse.
I feel awful because its one thing to have a bad self image on the outside but now to feel I have an issue that I can't fix with a magic pill. Then reading recently that pregnancy can cause it. (PH imbalance). So I feel so very hopeless because I can't do much about it.
There's a part of me that wishes I could crawl into a hole and never come out. I struggle with giving up on everything I've worked hard for (weight lose) and not care anymore because it all seems in vain. My dh is very committed, he's told me that he's never going to leave me even though this is hurting our marriage to a certain extent. How am I to love my femininity if I feel like its destroyed my life? I feel so ugly.

Last edited by mom4life; 02-08-2010 at 05:22 PM.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #2  

you're still a woman.. still feminine and beautiful. do you eat yogurt/ take a probiotic supplement?
lizard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #3  

are you pregnant right now? If not...then you might try vinegar douches...but dont use them too often...you can buy them in Massingill. Of course, if you are pregnant then you cant use them. Also...certain foods can cause unpleasant odors...you might do some research and google this. I used to work in a clinic and it seemed as though the treatment prescribed only helped the women short term. Sorry you and your husband are having a hard time. Keep your chin up!

Last edited by Violet73; 02-08-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/145 HW: 232

Height: 5' 9"

You finished your entire course of antibiotics (I assume it was flagyl or clindamycin)? If the smell does indeed come from BV and from your description it does (fishy smell) then it sounds like you need to get it treated with another course of antibiotics (stronger, different med or longer course). Go back to the doctor and get help from them It does no good to live like this.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieLou View Post
are you pregnant right now? If not...then you might try vinegar douches...but dont use them too often...you can buy them in Massingill. Of course, if you are pregnant then you cant use them. Also...certain foods can cause unpleasant odors...you might do some research and google this. I used to work in a clinic and it seemed as though the treatment prescribed only helped the women short term. Sorry you and your husband are having a hard time. Keep your chin up!
DO NOT DOUCHE!!!!!! It will only upset the natural flora of the vagina and make it even easier for bugs like BV to fester. It might seem to help in the short run but it will make the BV come back with a vengeance. Women should never douche.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
DO NOT DOUCHE!!!!!! It will only upset the natural flora of the vagina and make it even easier for bugs like BV to fester. It might seem to help in the short run but it will make the BV come back with a vengeance. Women should never douche.
That's your opinion. She can decide what to do herself. Some docs even recommend it....some dont. Either way...I was just trying to help....didnt need to get slammed for it.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #7  

First of all, can I say that having 4 kids and another on the way, you deserve a medal lady!

I Googled your condition and saw there are a couple of treatments for it like Femanax, Vagiclear and Balance Activ - have you tried any of these before? Being pregnant, you will need to clear using anything with your OBGYN and you might need to wait until baby #5 is here safe and well to start trying these things.

I did have a friend years ago with a problem like this and she was told to (please don't read this is you are queasy!) get a tampon and dip it in natural yogurt and well you know, ummm put it where a tampon usually goes, ahem.

It did work for her as it re-established the right kind of bacteria there.

But speak to your doctor before trying anything and good luck.
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #8  

I did try douching but it was a more natural approach....tea tree oil drops in water for 3-6 days. It did seem to help, where it lessened the smell or made it come and go but not as bad as before.
Now that I'm pregnant, I feel I have very little options. I have started taking acidophilus and eating a cup of yogurt everyday. Still not sure if its helping or not. I have heard of inserting a tampon soaked with yogurt but I sort of doubt I can do that while pregnant. Then again I'm not sure if this approach would fix the problem.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieLou View Post
That's your opinion. She can decide what to do herself. Some docs even recommend it....some dont. Either way...I was just trying to help....didnt need to get slammed for it.
Not trying to slam. This is just my experience as a doctor in training. It's also not opinion but general medical consensus (never in my OB GYN training have I heard douching recommended...always cautioned against), but still many women do it.

Last edited by Dingo; 02-08-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #10  

Also, if you are pregnant then not appropriately treating BV can lead to preterm labor. Just FYI.
Article about douching:
http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/pdf...1/15501-12.pdf

Last edited by Dingo; 02-08-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Also, if you are pregnant then not appropriately treating BV can lead to preterm labor. Just FYI.
yup, that's why I haven't done anything like that, I would have to clear it with my midwife first.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTigz View Post
First of all, can I say that having 4 kids and another on the way, you deserve a medal lady!

I Googled your condition and saw there are a couple of treatments for it like Femanax, Vagiclear and Balance Activ - have you tried any of these before? Being pregnant, you will need to clear using anything with your OBGYN and you might need to wait until baby #5 is here safe and well to start trying these things.

I did have a friend years ago with a problem like this and she was told to (please don't read this is you are queasy!) get a tampon and dip it in natural yogurt and well you know, ummm put it where a tampon usually goes, ahem.

It did work for her as it re-established the right kind of bacteria there.

But speak to your doctor before trying anything and good luck.
thank you, somehow I missed your post. But yes the tampon thing was on my mind but I'm sure I'd have to wait till after the baby comes. I'm hoping eating yogurt will do the trick till I have the baby.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #13  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Did your doctor do a pap smear (test) to see what is causing the odor? As there are other things that can cause odor like a lot of sugar in one's urine or a yeast infection (unless that is what you mean by BV).

As a temporary solution, maybe you could continue the lightly scented baths before intimacy; plus, you can buy lightly scented fresheners called "Body Mists" for the outside of the body: roses are my favorite one. Also, many women now use baby wipes to sanitize and "freshen up" throughout the day after using the ladie's facilities. Be sure to OK this with your doctor beforehand though ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-08-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #14  

Your OB should have done a BV screen during your first trimester screening. Do you have an OB or does your midwife do all your prenatal work?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #15  

Mom4life....since you are pregnant I guess you are limited to what you can do....I hope things will work out for you soon and you can find a treatment that helps during pregnancy.