Old 02-06-2010, 07:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default Are you planning ahead for the Super Bowl?

Many people think of the Super Bowl as a holiday of sorts and get together with friends. Of course - usually food is involved. What are doing for the game? I hope there's a way to make it fit with your plan.

We are having some family over. DH wanted to make hot turkey sandwiches and mashed potatoes. I vetoed that - too much fat in the gravy and potatoes (although, I could take my taters out before he puts in loads of butter)

I am making white bean and chicken chili - along with veggies and dip, chips and salsa, and some of dh's favorite snacks. Cousins are bringing dessert.

How are managing the day?
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Are you planning ahead for the Super Bowl?
There is not one situation, event, occasion, or circumstance on any day, meal or snack that I DON'T plan for. Not a one. Failing to plan is planning to fail - I take that VERY seriously!!!! For me, that has been the biggest key to my weight loss and now weight maintenance.

Sounds to me like you've got your thinking cap on. That chili sounds yummy.

For me, I have to not only decide what I WILL eat, but I have to also decide AHEAD OF TIME, what I WON'T eat - that could be DH's favorite snacks, the chips and any other off plan foods someone might bring in. DEFINITE NO'S are a definite MUST for me. I'd make sure to have some fruit for dessert, ya don't know what others will bring and can't assume it will be healthful.

No super bowl parties for me. I'll be at home with the family and save some calories for a healthy snack or two during the game.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/270/135

Height: 5'6"

I'm planning ahead. I know the horrid unhealthy foods my family is planning to make and instead, I'm making some low cal healthy alternatives for myself. Smoothies, 1pt cake, healthy pizza, etc. I know my family is planning sodas, pizza rolls, burgers, chili cheese nachos, cheese sticks, pigs in a blanket, etc. And I know that if I do decide to indulge in something they are eating, I just factor in extra exercise or less calories the next day.
Jaimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #4  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

This is an easy one for me. The super bowl doesn't matter in our house. We will probably DVR it so that later we can fast forward through the boring game part and watch commercials and then check at the very end to see who wins so they won't tease him too badly at work. I seriously don't even know who's playing and I doubt he does either. Neither of us are very big on watching sports. Just a normal day for us.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I'll take a healthy snack (maybe roasted green beans?) and bring a big salad as my contribution to supper. As long as there is some stuff I know I can eat, then I can pass on everything else.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Thank god I have no interest in sports. What I really like about the Super Bowl? The grocery store will be absolutely deserted Sunday night so I can have a nice, relaxing shopping expedition. I look forward to it every year!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Yeah, I make every day's plan the day before. Tomorrow's plan, after my boiled egg breakfast and a midday yogurt, also includes a kind of combination lunch/dinner eaten on/off during the superbowl.

It's just my husband and I at home and we're both drinking wine and sharing a preportioned plate of brie, bread and red grapes. I know that sounds a little nontraditional, maybe -- we do do other snacks, like my homemade quesadillas and guac -- sometimes. Had that on new year's.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 273/219/145

Height: 5'5"

I'm definitely planning for the superbowl.... I'm NOT planning on watching it! hahah. I don't give two toots about the superbowl so I'll probably be scrapbooking or reading.

That's my plan. But I agree with rockinrobin... I always try to pre-plan for everything.
slimsilhouette2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #9  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

We football fanatics at our house. We didn't invite anyone over because it will be low key. We have planned dinner around the time of the game and will be sticking to the calorie counts for the day. We are leaving no room for error. No need to let the game hype ruin good progress. We planned this day out last week because my husband was thinking about chicken wings.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

We are going to a party in the neighborhood. Everyone has been invited to BYOB (we don't drink) and an appetizer. I will eat a regular healthy dinner before I go. I am making room (calories wise) for the appetizer I'm bringing. I am bringing a veggie tray (zucchini, peppers, celery, carrots sticks) and a bowl of homemade hummus. Yummy and just the kind of thing I incorporate into my daily eating plan.

So, that's my plan. Dinner as usual, snack as usual--just a little more to share with the neighbors.

Planning is indeed the key to success!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

We banned the family from our house for superbowl Sunday. They insisted on bringing the usual assortment of crap food, and I am not ready to face those foods just sitting around. My MIL is miffed, but she is always too happy to sabotage anyone's plan to eat healthy.
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #12  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

Height: 5'6"

I am definitely planning ahead for the Superbowl! WHO DAT BABY! lol I'm not usually too big into sports, but I'm from Louisiana- the New Orleans Saints being in the superbowl is a BIG deal.

We were invited to a few parties but have decided to stay home. I'm not ready to face all the tempting foods either. Yesterday [the 6th] was my son's 3rd birthday party, and I had saved my flex points for that day. No way I'm indulging two days in a row!

So I'm going to make some bbq burgers for the husband and I. Extra lean meat, low cal bread. So we can still get the "football food" feel.
I'm excited!

and... GEAUX SAINTS! lol
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #13  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Definitely - since most of my family has changed their eating habits - after following my lead I might add lol *big grin* we are all eating better and making better choice. Now don't get me wrong we aren't having just veggies today after all it is the superbowl lol But all thin crust pizza, grilled chicken, fruit and probably the worst thing is cookies. I can avoid them though as I had my one cookie for the month the other day lol
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote