Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:02 AM   #1  

Default Sugar Cravings

I would like to know people's opinions on if eating a whole food lifestyle helps to stop sugar cravings? I'm currently on Weight Watchers but me and my hubby have had some deaths in the family this last year from Cancer and Diabetes. We know realize we need to take better care of ourselves and we have a 9 month old. I have horrible sugar cravings and fast food cravings. I know I need to stop eating these things. I was looking into the whole foods lifestyle because I want to start eating as healthy and unprocessed as possible. Thanks for any info on sugar cravings.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

I've been eating whole foods and low-carb (which is also slim to no sugar, only minimal honey), no-gluten or soy. I no longer feel compelled to eat fast food (in fact I hate fast food now, it always leaves me hungrier than when I started) and not eating sugary treats is really no big deal anymore.

The only time I seriously feel my blood sugar spike, leaving me with a stomach that feels completely hollow, is when I either drink green tea (plus one small tablespoon of honey) or a cup of coffee (plus one small tablespoon of coffee). Literally, 20 minutes later - I can time it and my stomach will even start growling to let me know.

Caffeine really spikes the blood sugar and make you feel ravenous. However, understanding this makes dealing easier. I have a glass of low-fat milk to drink when this happens and magically, it all goes away.

I do love coffee - I'm not really willing to go without it....

Pay attention to your body like a scientist would. Eat fast food, then set your watch - you will not feel satiated and will feel the need to eat in no time.

Then, eat a bowl of homemade split pea soup - it will take at least 4 hours before you are hungry again. And when the hunger does come, it will be a gradual process.

Or eat two handfuls of raw, unsalted cashew nuts. It will take away the hunger and keep your stomach happy for hours.

However, some whole foods can leave you feeling hungrier sooner- such as potatoes or carrots.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #3  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

I agree with Bonnnie. For me, after changing my lifestyle to mainly whole foods and cutting out all the fast-food/junk food, I no longer crave the 'bad' stuff. Of course I was in withdrawal for a few weeks, but now I no longer crave those foods. After eating healthy for nearly a year, the bad stuff isn't as appealing. The very few times in the past year I've had fast-food I found it to be kinda nasty tasting and I almost immediately felt the effect in my stomach. The same goes for sodas and sugary products (they don't taste the same and aren't as fulfilling). The pain just isn't worth eating those bad foods, besides my cooking tastes so much better, lol.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #4  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

Ive been eating a whole foods diet for four months now...i haven't eaten a lot of fast food because my stomach started rejecting those foods about 2 or so years now. I have a huge sweet tooth and the thing that made me start keeping an eye on sugar was trying to stay within a 45g daily allowance.

GAH!!! companies sneak sugar into everything! among the worst are a suprising number of yogurts, diet and "healthy" foods. i try to limit veggies and fruit that have a large amounts of sugar (byebye fruit cups and bananas). I cook a large amout of what I eat and am looking at diabetes websites for desserts that have no/low sugar (I won't use substitues other than plant nectars). Out of the sweet things I make i try to make reduced recipies so there isn't so much hanging around the house. Sometimes I have to stick to the savory stuff.

embrace the oats and good luck
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:36 AM   #5  

When you switch to whole foods, you WILL feel cravings for sugar and fast food. Your body is addicted and it will take a few weeks for those feelings to subside. We maintain a whole foods diet because of the history of heart disease and diabetes in my husband's family. We find that when we have cravings, it's fine to go ahead and eat! Eat a huge green salad, have a handful of nuts, etc.
encelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

My dh and I use to eat fastfood every day for lunch. That was a hard habit to break. We had no idea we were addicts!!! You will get past all your craving. It will take some time to retrain your body but you can do it. I haven't had a soda or fastfood in over a month and it is wonderful to look back and wonder what I was thinking.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I was amazed to find out that sugar is less likely than some foods-- such as refined flour to cause spikes. Table sugar is about 50% fructose (honey , and agave are better) as opposed to the 100% glucose of white bread...that being said, I am trying to limit starches AND sugar to one meal per day because it is proving to be the best way to feel good, and manage cravings.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #8  

Bonnie, I have exactly the same reaction from coffee, and I drink much less of it now, but I can't seem to let go of my cherished double espresso.(lol)
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #9  

I have to nearly totally eliminate sugar and grains from my diet in order to stop cravings. It takes a couple weeks, but then I'm not as hungry and don't have any cravings. I've tried keeping grains in my diet, but they trigger hunger and cravings for me. I am following a primal diet with an emphasis on vegetables and fats with the required amount of protein for my size.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:41 AM   #10  

Wendy,I think I have been like you all my life. I've had very low self esteem because of not understanding how I could keep failing at something I want so badly. Several years ago I tried the carbo addicts diet, and to my surprise, I suddenly had "will power"...in a nut shell...you eat super low carb with the exception of one meal per day....the theory being that glycemic responses become stronger with each surge in any given day....long story short...I found that I lost alot of weight (35 LBS) while eating things like cherry pie ala mode for dessert after very big dinners. I don't eat that way now, but try to keep it clean and low glycemic through the day.... I think that's a healthier approach, but the cravings seem stronger....haven't figured that one out yet....How does the primal thing work ?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

The first 7-10 days were the hardest for me. Then, something magical happened. I quit wanting the crap. Fast food I went completely cold turkey on and still do not eat it except for a very occasional ice cream cone. Going to whole foods, complex carbs in moderation and getting plenty of the healthy fats really will work wonders for those cravings. The only time I have difficulty now is just immediately before TOM and when I eat some crappy, processed item. Other than that, I don't get cravings at all.

IMO, Marigrace is spot on with the low GI thing. Sticking to lower GI foods are key for me.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 01-28-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigrace View Post
Wendy,I think I have been like you all my life. I've had very low self esteem because of not understanding how I could keep failing at something I want so badly. Several years ago I tried the carbo addicts diet, and to my surprise, I suddenly had "will power"...in a nut shell...you eat super low carb with the exception of one meal per day....the theory being that glycemic responses become stronger with each surge in any given day....long story short...I found that I lost alot of weight (35 LBS) while eating things like cherry pie ala mode for dessert after very big dinners. I don't eat that way now, but try to keep it clean and low glycemic through the day.... I think that's a healthier approach, but the cravings seem stronger....haven't figured that one out yet....How does the primal thing work ?

The primal theory is that paleo man didn't eat grains and that most of us still can't tolerate grains (except maybe by soaking and sprouting). marksdailyapple is my main resource. He wrote The Primal Blueprint. Most people eat eggs/meat/berries for breakfast, big salads for lunch, and meat/veggie for dinner. Nuts and fruits are ok, low sugar fruits like berries are best. I think that some people do well with grains, but I feel much better without.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/199/180

Height: 5'11"

A whole food diet is definitely the way to go when trying to lose weight. I don't feel like I am dieting, because I can eat until satisfied, and it's not junk that will just go strait to fat. I find that I actually crave a sandwich on Trader Joe's whole grain flat bread with humus and spinach and cucumber and black beans (and a little salsa) YUM!!! I will take that over a snickers in a heartbeat! There is no way I would say that 6 weeks ago.

I definitely have less of a sweet tooth after being on a whole foods diet, and noticed a big loss of sweet tooth cravings after about only a couple of weeks. My wife had some dessert after a few weeks after being on a whole foods diet, and she felt really gross afterward. There are still options though, you can have dark chocolate, and even some snack bars are ok. i eat Koshi bars from time to time, and I also hear that Pro Grade Craver bars are very tasty, and good for you as well. They are however too expensive for me to fork out the dough for.
jeremiahlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:37 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/199/180

Height: 5'11"

I think I just talked myself into making one of those sandwiches right now!
jeremiahlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:58 AM   #15  

Wow that sandwich sounds good!
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote