Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #1  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Soooooo DONE with Dr. Oz! (Rant)

I was just watching Dr. Oz. He took Carnie Wilson's blood sugar on the air. It was 100, and he pronounced that she was pre-diabetic right there. Carnie was shocked.

Wasn't that irresponsible? Did she just eat? Was she fasting? He didn't tell us. What he did was purely for the drama of the moment.

I found on USA Today's website that Carnie just had blood tests done and all her bloodwork came back normal. Is Dr. Oz going to come back with a retraction?

I know he's trying to make a point, but my blood pressure goes up due to the anxiety I get every time I watch one of his shows. I don't like that he's putting America in a constant state of fear about our health. I am not motivated by fear. I don't feel that's a healthy way to teach America about health.

Okay, I'm done. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by geoblewis; 02-04-2010 at 06:23 PM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #2  

Hi I'm with you..i am diabetic and 100 is a good number..between 80 and 100 is normal at least thats what my dr tells me..im extremely happy with a 100 score..see u in the "gg"s" rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 02-04-2010 at 06:30 PM.
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

Dr. Oz is so full of crap! I study and do research in molecular biology, and I was ready to jump through the screen when he was talking about telomeres one day on Oprah. It was over a year ago, I already don't remember what he said, but he sounded like he was making up a load of garbage. I even asked some of the telomere/aging/cancer experts at my university (oh yeah, I was that angry!!!!) to clarify what he said, and they agreed that his comments were absurd. That's why I don't care about him and I encourage everyone else to just ignore him. He's a quack!!!!
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #4  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

I used to like Dr. Oz, but that would make me question any doctor.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/270/135

Dr. Oz....what to say...I'm not a fan of his. He's a crackpot who can thank Oprah for his being anything. I've tried to watch his show, but it seems like every time I watch, he's always talking down to people with weight issues. I honestly take what he says with a grain of salt because everything he does is for attention and so he can make a buck. My cousin is a nurse and she says that what he is calling pre-diabetic is incorrect. It's actually a good reading. Unless "Doctor" Oz believes that everyone should be walking around with a level of 50-75, then I say once again he is wrong. Oh well, just thinking about another one of his bull**** publicity stunts is making my blood pressure rise. Why can't doctors just stay in the office? Why give them a TV show?
Jaimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #6  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Default What A Maroon

WTF?! Really? I guess his "Dr" title should just be considered honorary at best.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm not a diabetic and I'm not a big fan of Dr. Oz, but I am a nurse that works with diabetics. The ADA, CDC and the National Institutes of Health all use 100-125 as the parameters for prediabetes. That is what the institution I work for uses too. I do think more than one reading would be advisable though before declaring someone prediabetic.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

I don't know anything about Dr. Oz, but if she had been fasting -- and if it was the second time she was 100 or above (to confirm the diagnosis) -- she would "technically" be just on the edge of pre-diabetes. Here are the parameters:
  • Pre diabetes=100-125 mg/dl
  • Diabetes=126 mg/dl or higher
  • Two FBS are required to confirm diagnosis
  • A normal FBS is below 100 mg/dl
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #9  

Default OMG so glad I am not the only one!

I posted very much the same thing on my sparkpeople page.
I thought...I can't be the only one who noticed this...can I?

I just joined! can't wait to explore and see what all is here!
apeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #10  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeacock View Post
I posted very much the same thing on my sparkpeople page.
I thought...I can't be the only one who noticed this...can I?

I just joined! can't wait to explore and see what all is here!
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #11  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I don't watch his show either, and wouldn't now, but I wonder, will that stunt send a lot of people to their doctors for testing? THere might be some good that comes of it, but generally, I agree, its not a good tactic and was purely a stunt.
But some fear is good and motivating.
My office adminstrators husband is adult onset IDDM and has a foot ulcer that won't heal. He has been off work for two years now, lost his job, has had one small amputation and is likely facing another.
That scares me enough to be really careful about my own prediabetic condition. But at least I am concerned about a reality, not a stunt.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #12  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

My Physician,the one who makes Patients feel like stupid idiots told me there is no such thing as Pre-Diabetic.You either are or aren't..
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_Butt View Post
My Physician,the one who makes Patients feel like stupid idiots told me there is no such thing as Pre-Diabetic.You either are or aren't..
Hey, Butter Butt -- your doctor sounds very rigid and unhelpful. Seriously, I think that the idea of "pre-diabetes" is to give you a warning that -- unless you change your ways -- you will probably become diabetic. This is a good thing. You don't want to just "spring" on someone "Hey, yesterday you weren't diabetic, but today you are!" You want to give them a chance to reverse the trend, and that's what a diagnosis of pre-diabetes does.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

With regards to pre-diabetes, and diabetes, the cut off points are arbitrary - perhaps not truly necessary to practice the "art" of medicine, but necessary to practice medicine in this world of health insurance, and to be able to compare research studies. The truth is that risk increases throughout blood glucose ranges. 95 *is* riskier than 85, even if both are "normal." Blood pressure is the same way.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #15  
Lady-in-training!

S/C/G: Heaviest: 215/202/168/130

Height: 5'5"

I don't think he's a quack -- his credentials are VERY legit and impressive -- but I do think he gives a lot of advice out of his area of expertise. A cardiothoracic surgeon probably hasn't dealt with something like telomeres, or medical afflictions that are not directly related to surgery, since way back in medical school.
It IS surprising that his staff isn't doing their research thoroughly -- or maybe he's just dumbing things down for the audience? In any case, NOT a fan here either, although I think he is doing a public service by getting people (the Oprah crowd in particular) to worry about their health/weight/diabetes status, even if his methods are a bit alarmist.
gtech2mit10 is offline   Reply With Quote