Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #1  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Talking 30 Somethings February Chat

I'm a day late with this thread! I can't believe no one else started it!!

Happy Ground Hogs day! If you have been enjoying winter, you're in luck. Six More weeks of it according to the groundhog.

I'm anxious to see what February will bring with our group challenge! We have had a fabulous turnout (only lost 4/38 participants!) and wonderful results. I thank each of you for your effort, and your support.

Personally, my scale has been stuck. I went from losses of 3 and 4lbs to 1 to .5 and so on. I won't change my course. 1600 calories a day and 5-6 days of intense exercise for an 45-60min is my plan. I try to stay away from sugar and sodium and drink 4 liters of water a day.

I know it works, just gotta stick with it.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #2  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortonpixie View Post
I'm a day late with this thread! I can't believe no one else started it!!
It happens. I thought about starting it on the first, but realised you guys were still a day behind.

February is set to be fairly interesting. I got my study materials for the coming semester in the mail yesterday and they all look like really good and interesting classes.

On the down side, I feel like someone's scrambled my guts like an egg, so I'm going to lie down for a while.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #3  
Because I Can

Height: 5'6"

Mollz, are these study materials for the teaching courses you wanted or other courses? Sorry that you're not feeling well.

AFChick, I won't make that a habit. It was more of an experiment. I was busy all day and so didn't eat as much as I should have. The scale not moving did on a number on me, so I wanted to work out hard to feel like I beat the poo out of my body. It just turned out that it was on the day I didn't eat enough.
I googled the starvation mode thing and it said that it takes 2-3 days to go into it. How do the people on TBL eat so little, work out so much and still lose?

I'm going to have to go back and read that thread about running stride that I posted again. Why did I take away from reading it that a long stride wasn't as good as a short one? I have short legs and have a short stride. I was encouraged that it was actually better than a long front-reaching stride.

For all of you who are ready for winter to be over, hopefully the ground hog is wrong.

Take care.
MelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/191/155

Height: 5'8"

What a great group we have. I can't wait to see some major changes on the scale in February. My partner and I are going to both hit the 160's....yay! Thanks for starting another place to chat...and for keeping tabs on everyone's weight loss. Have a great day.
staffingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 194.5/194.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi! I'm new to the forum... is this an on-going group, or are you accepting new members?
Dab52776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #6  
Carpe diem

Hi Dab

We're an ongoing group and always accepting new members. Join in the fun!!

Mel: They're other courses: Western Philosophy, Greek Mythology and The Crusades. I'm a history buff, so everything I'm studying this year is history and classics.

I am feeling somewhat better, having slept pretty much all morning. DH made me get out of bed. It might be leftover "uglies" from yesterday's eating. Apparently, he's not feeling so well either.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I just hope that this month I can do better watching what I eat and getting my exercise in than I did in January.

I have bumped up the amount of situps I do daily and I am trying to get in at least 10 miles per day on the exercise bike and today I started running up and down my stairs leading to the second floor...I went up and down 10 times before my legs decided I did enough
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #8  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

This month I am hoping to be more consistent w/ working out, I pulled my back or something and it keeps acting up. So I'll do really well one week and then *wham* I hit with back pain!

I've been doing pretty well at staying on plan, I went off during the week of my b-day (hence my .5 lb loss)

I am also going on vacation next weekend and dreading all the food and alcohol that will be thrown my way...

Good luck to every one else!

Last edited by Skullarix; 02-02-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #9  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelO View Post
AFChick, I won't make that a habit. It was more of an experiment.
Glad to hear...I'm a mom, so hence a worrier... healthy is best way to lose....
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/142.6/132

I'm new here! I just turned 30 in December so with the new year, it was time to join a new forum. Last summer I wrapped up my single life and moved 800 miles to come and live back at home with mom and dad for a few months. I also got engaged and now have a wedding to plan for May. I used to walk everywhere in my previous city which helped me get in shape and stay in shape. Now I find in my new location that I have to drive and commute everywhere making it a lot harder to be active.

I was feeling down about having to inch back down the scale again before May when my brother reminded me that I should go back to reading the 3FC forums again to keep me motivated. He's right. So here I am, back and ready to lose!
orthodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:11 AM   #11  
Carpe diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodiva View Post
I'm new here! I just turned 30 in December so with the new year, it was time to join a new forum. Last summer I wrapped up my single life and moved 800 miles to come and live back at home with mom and dad for a few months. I also got engaged and now have a wedding to plan for May. I used to walk everywhere in my previous city which helped me get in shape and stay in shape. Now I find in my new location that I have to drive and commute everywhere making it a lot harder to be active.

I was feeling down about having to inch back down the scale again before May when my brother reminded me that I should go back to reading the 3FC forums again to keep me motivated. He's right. So here I am, back and ready to lose!
Orthodiva and congratulations on getting engaged!

What a supportive brother! Mine would probably laugh at me-- of course, I now weigh much less than he does, so he can't tease me about being fat anymore. Looks like you've done really well already. Good job and keep it up!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #12  
Carpe diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelO View Post
AFChick, I won't make that a habit. It was more of an experiment. I was busy all day and so didn't eat as much as I should have. The scale not moving did on a number on me, so I wanted to work out hard to feel like I beat the poo out of my body. It just turned out that it was on the day I didn't eat enough.
I googled the starvation mode thing and it said that it takes 2-3 days to go into it. How do the people on TBL eat so little, work out so much and still lose?
Most doctors will say that 2 pounds a week is too much. TBL contestants exercise all day with no other committments other than losing weight (no job, no kids, no spouse, no shopping). It also sounds like they're eating more than we think they are. For the majority of us, that is a pipedream, a uptopia that will never be.

Some of the ones with tremendous weight losses are losing about 80% water, 5% lean muscle and 15% fat (roughly), which is why you hear about those few gaining a lot the day after final weigh in. Some of them genuinely lose the weight through the strict diet and exercise (one exercises between 1 and 4 hours a day, 6 days a week!!) There are numerous articles out there about the successes and failures of TBL contestants, but very few on the diet they follow. I think its somewhere around 1200-1500 calories, maybe more, depending on weight. I thought this was a good site, though I'm not sure of the authenticity of the diet: http://www.diettv.com/diet/biggest-l...scription.html

Still, I'm not too keen on the show; it exploits people and gives the audience an unrealistic approach to weight loss. I'd rather see the producers keep the contestants at home and make them exercise and diet from home with all the commitments of a real person, rather than take them away to a secluded ranch in BFE.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #13  
Because I Can

Mollz, I agree that the show does give an unrealistic idea of weight loss. They are disappointed when they lose 2#s in a week and I LOVE it. I read one of their books that say that they eat about 1500 cals a day. If they are burning 6,000 a day through exercise, is there some metabolic process that is created by the extreme withholding of calories that by-passes the "starvation mode"? I would NEVER attempt anything like this. I am just interested in how the body accesses fuel. I should read about it. Again, I'm happy with my 2#s per week. WTG on weighing way less than your bro! Glad you're feeling better, hope your dh does soon too. History is cool. It was a fave subject of mine in school.

AFChick, it's sweet of you to worry. I like food WAY too much to do anything drastic with calories.

Skullarix, are you doing the PFChang in 2011? I'm thinking that it should be a good amount of time to train to do a 1/2. Have fun on your vacation!

Laura, 10 miles!?! That's awesome!

Welcome to the new people! This is my favorite thread. The ladies here are totally motivated and put in the work to get results. They are excellent at encouraging and passing on wisdom.

I am on week 5 of c25k and scared. That 20 minute run is looming in a few days. Did it kick your butts?

Hope ya'll are doing well and feeling great!

-Mel.
MelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 194.5/194.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Mollz... Thanks for the nice welcome!

Since I'm new here, I guess I'll just start by telling you all a little bit about myself. I'm 33, married, with no kids. I'm a teacher, so if I ever refer to "my kids"... I really mean "my students" I've been working on losing weight for about a year and a half. During that time, I've lost about 20 lbs total. I have PCOS, which makes weight loss extremely slow and difficult for me.... but I keep pluggin away! Basically, I've been trying hard to stick to a clean diet and exercise at least 3-4 days per week. Well, that's some of the basics for now.

I look forward to getting to know all you wonderful women
Dab52776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #15  
Multi-tasking is fun

S/C/G: 200/188/150

Height: 5'9

Hi All:

Still so amazed by this supportive community.....wow.

Thought I'd post my goals here for Feb. Getting serious now!

Goal 1: 20 exercise sessions (either free weights or elliptical or both) + some stretching EVERY time

Goal 2: 40 miles total on elliptical

Goal 3: weight down to 172 or 170 (CW=175) -- I'm not sure what is realistic for this goal. I don't want to set my sights too high, but I also want to push myself a bit more. I believe in slow-and-steady so anything more than 2lbs I'd be thrilled with for the month.

Ok. So now I've put it out there. No turning back.

Happy February everyone!

B.

Last edited by BrainBabiesBe; 02-03-2010 at 08:16 AM.
BrainBabiesBe is offline   Reply With Quote