Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #1  
Determined

S/C/G: 188/ticker/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Thumbs up My first time steaming chicken

I'm back to the T-Factor Diet and am trying different ways to cut my fat consumption. The book (by Martin Katahn, PhD) recommends a range of 20 to 40 grams of fat per day (max) and this diet worked for me in the early 90s when I had just 35 pounds to lose.

Last week I steamed boneless/skinless haddock and used only lemon pepper seasoning on it during the steaming process. It was fabulous, both DH and I agreed that we should have it again.

Today I decided that I would try it with boneless/skinless chicken breasts. I marinated them in soy sauce, lime juice, sm amt of chicken broth, garlic and ginger for one half hour. I steamed them for 12 minutes, cut them in half lengthwise, put the cut surface down in the steamer and let them steam another couple of minutes. They were tender and juicy, the only thing I might change is leaving them to marinate a bit longer.

Not only is it quick but the marinade is fat free and the chicken doesn't cook in any fat. If any one else cooks this way and has tips or recipes to share I would really appreciate it.

ps. I lost 2.8# last week keeping my fat grams low.

Last edited by BabySteps21; 02-02-2010 at 06:45 PM.
BabySteps21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/142.6/132

Height: 5'6"

How exactly do you steam the chicken/fish? In a steamer basket or some other way?
orthodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #3  
Determined

S/C/G: 188/ticker/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I have a stainless steel pan that has a s.s. basket insert and a tight fitting glass lid with a little vent hole in it.

I get the water in the bottom boiling and insert the chicken or fish afterwards, cover with the glass lid and keep the boiling water under control so the water never actually touches the fish or bird.

I've been happy with the results and hope others here have some experiences to share.
BabySteps21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

The only thing about marinating the chicken any longer is that any citrus/acid will begin to "cook" the chicken if left in contact with it. It will do the same with seafood. I think it is maximum one hour. Maybe add the citrus later in the marinating or just before steaming?

Glad you are having success with this. It sounds delish! Good luck!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote