Old 02-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Default What Works Best For You ?

I need your input here....Once a day ? Once a week ? Once a month ? How often do you weigh yourself, and why do you do it that way ?
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #2  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I think I've said so in your weigh-in post, but I weigh daily. If I don't, I start to get lazy about my diet, and then when I get on the scale, oops, I've gained a pound. So daily works for me. It drove me crazy for a little while, but eventually I learned to roll with the fluctuations. (Mostly.)
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 264/244/130

Height: 5'4"

I weigh once a week, same time, same birthday suit lol, but I do get on the scale sometimes during the week too, but I only care about that same day once a week. I have a calendar above the scale and on every thursday morning I write down the number the scale says. That is where I decide if I lost or gained. I have been doing weight watchers meetings and weighing in there too, but I'm not getting enough out of them, so I may go back to weighing at home, and maybe going to the rec center once a week instead. I understand the program pretty well, and I get more support from here than I do in the meetings so I may give them up and use this as my main support.
moveforward73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #4  

Hi thistoo and moveforward. Thank you both for your ideas.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #5  
I can do it!

S/C/G: 245/218/145

Height: 5'3"

I weigh daily to remind myself to watch everything I put in my mouth. If I don't, I forget to, then gain. It depends on whether you're the kind of person that can cope with the ups and downs that are inevitable! It's hard, but I won't lose weight if I don't keep doing it!

Maybe try different ways to see which you prefer?
beescwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #6  

Hello Bees & thanks. I have run into some major plateaus in the past, when I was weighing in alot...even several times a day. Now that I am planning to start weighing more frequently I am looking for a sensible technique and coping skills.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #7  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

I weigh once a week. In 2006 I lost a lot of weight (only to find it again) and then I weighed every day and I found myself obsessing about that #. So this time around, I decided I needed to do this without the obsessions and thus the choice to weigh once a week. I was hopping on mid week to check where I was, but that just pissed me off too, so I am sticking to the once a week weigh in and seems to be working for me.
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/244/130

Height: 5'4"

I have a very very negative attitude, so if I weighed everyday I would get so discouraged and quit all together. The once a week is good for me. But I do get on the scale other times, just as a checker. But I try to do same time once a week, same clothes or lack their of. You have to do what is best for you. If you are motivated and driven every day could work for you, but if you get easily discouraged once a week may be better. You could get upset that day and recoop and say okay, need to change what I've done in the last week because it may not be working. I track track track. It's a PAIN, but I do it and it does help. This way when things quit working, I will look back at what I did that past week and see where I can improve.
moveforward73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #9  

I like your calendar Idea, moveforward.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #10  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

No more than once a month, and waited 72 days after starting so that I wouldn't be discouraged by slow pace. However, I do track my calorie deficit daily so that I know I'm doing what needs to be done.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I avoided the scale for 15 years and I will never, ever allow that to happen again. It was a way of denial and escapism. Facing the scale now, every morning is just part of my routine. It's just what I do. It's part of my health-minded way of life. Some days it makes no sense to me, but I have learned to live with and deal with the "quirkiness" shall we say, of it. When we're doing the "right" thing there is nothing to fear about it. And ya know what, when we're doing the "wrong" thing, nothing to fear either. Perhaps that will shake us up and make us do - the "right" thing. The scale is just one of my tools in the box that I use now to help me be aware of what I do - and don't do. And that each of those choices has consequences. This is my body we're talking about and I want to know what's going on with it. No more ducking from it. Is the scale perfect? Nope. So be it. Neither am I. We're a match made in heaven.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #12  
Cute and fun to be with

S/C/G: 250/ticker/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

I weigh every morning after absolution, but I know I have a range.
My weight fluctuates in about a 3 pound range, when I am being lazy but not bad, and that range creeps up when I am being lazy and bad.
Of course when I am being really really good, the scale is quite a ego boost when the numbers go down.... as they have been lately.

In short I don't stress, but I do keeps tabs.
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #13  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
...I weigh daily. If I don't, I start to get lazy about my diet...
I weigh-in daily as well... for this same reason. It keeps me in line every day and I've learned to look at the overall trend.

Last edited by stargzr; 02-02-2010 at 10:22 AM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #14  
CD3

S/C/G: 223/211/150

Height: 5'3"

Is the scale perfect? Nope. So be it. Neither am I. We're a match made in heaven. -rockinrobin

LOVE THIS!!! What a true, yet positive way of looking at the scale! I've always HATED the scale. I get on it every morning as a way to keep myself "honest". For some reason if I start the day with getting on the scale it helps keep me on the plan. I see the numbers, I log them down, I look at how far I've come (not far enough but it's definately going the right way), then when I don't feel like exercising I remember that tomorrow I'm going to have to face the scale and I want to keep going forward not fall backwards.
CD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #15  

Ok so that means stay vigilant w/calories( Thanks Carey)
No Ducking (Thanks Robin)
Know your range (knobhdy,Thanks)

This is starting to shape Up !