Old 01-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #1  

Default Any vegans?

So I am considering being vegan; just slowly easing my way into it. Starting out as a pescatarian for a month, full vegetarian, and finally I will give up eggs . I will still eat honey and use beeswax stuff because bees don't really count to me. Anybody here a vegan who would be willing to help me out with this transition? I am already lactose intolerant, so that part is taken care of?
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Sure, I can help. I went from full on meaty eater to vegan within a day.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #3  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 250/250/125

Height: 5'10"

my husband and i have both been vegans for about 2 years now. i LOVE eating vegan and i would never go back!
seidlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:19 PM   #4  

I am gonna miss sushi though
Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 PM   #5  
Out is Through

Just curious, what made you want to become vegan?
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #6  
Just Me

Have you tried veggie sushi? It is good

As for wanting to become vegan, I've read quite a few books based on research that prompted me. China Study and Eat to Live were huge influences. I actually had no idea how much I'd love being vegan and I have to say I love food more than ever which is always a problem
Old 02-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #7  

It is going to sound ridiculous, but I just think about how much I love my pets and that they are so lucky they weren't born as an animal that is used for food. All animals have personalities and I would hate to continue exploiting any more animals for meat, which I honestly don't enjoy that much...except sushi. I don't eat dairy, so I gotta give up eggs and I already use cruelty-free products.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I plan on attempting eliminate as many animal products as I can from my diet next grocery shopping cycle.

I want to do this because for months now I've been feeling bloated, sluggish and constipated and I think animal products may be an issue. So my plan is to eliminate them for 2 months or so and see how that goes( I still plan to eat fish) If it makes me feel better and it's not torture I would like to keep it up.

I also hate to think about how poorly animals that are raised for food are treated. Choosing not to eat them can help bring attention to that fact.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #9  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I'm gearing up to try a vegan month in March. I'd do it this month, except there are some dairy products I have on hand that my husband won't eat (paneer, yogurt, milk), and I just don't want to waste them. I can't see that it'll be much of an effort on my part, since I generally consume very little dairy, and even fewer eggs; switching to olive oil from the ghee I use in making Indian dishes won't be a problem. Cheese I can do without, so I don't feel the need to find a vegan substitute, but the yogurt and milk will be a bit harder, so I'm going to try various brands and types this month, while I work up to March. I really anticipate the yogurt being the hardest part, since I depend on it for calcium and protein. I'm pretty sure I can give up the milk in my coffee and tea without much problem.

Anyway, it's going to be interesting, and I'm looking forward to the challenge. I may totally wash out and decide it's not for me, but I'd like to try.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #10  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinef View Post
I really anticipate the yogurt being the hardest part, since I depend on it for calcium and protein. I'm pretty sure I can give up the milk in my coffee and tea without much problem.
There is soy yogurt that I give to my husband and eat ocassionally. Wildwood is pretty good.

The interesting thing is that dairy actually isn't a very good source of calcium since animal proteins actually leech calcium from your bones. There are a lot of good veggies that are good sources for calcium such as leafy greens. Also, protein shouldn't be an issue if you are eating a well balanced diet. The RDA suggests at least 50g protein/day which I easily reach and exceed on a daily basis.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #11  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

Oh, yeah, I know it can be worked around, and that animal sources of calcium aren't all that, and I routinely eat huge amounts of leafy greens, this is more a matter of habit and ease than anything else, and with all the other changes I've made and which I love, I'm sure I can do it. I eat a lot of pulses and beans, so I've probably got protein covered already, and I have no interest in or desire to go low-carb, so I really don't think this is going to be hard.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote