Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #1  

Default help on exercise videos

Right now I’m just in the process of psyching myself into exercising. I do want to start slowly and ultimately make it a part of my daily ritual. Is it possible to work out at home and have the dedication to follow through every day? Maybe I can find exercise videos that’ll help me familiarize with basic exercise routines. And maybe later move on to the more serious stuff. Anyone know of exercise videos for beginners?
goinGreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #2  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php is a forum devoted to those of us who exercise at home to videos/DVD's. You will find opinions, reviews, rotations, help, and encouragement.

http://www.collagevideo.com/ is a retail site. Collage has clips, reviews, breakdowns, and a small forum. You can also chat with CS who can answer questions and point you in the right direction. Do a search for 'beginner' workouts, and see what you can find.

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/ is another retail site, also with clips, reviews, and information.

Netflix or Blockbusters online site also have workout videos. Comcast has On Demand workouts. Direct TV has FitTV and there is Exercise TV, the pay-per-view of workouts {never tried them however, so I don't know how the workouts are rated, beginner, intermediate or advanced}

Your local library would also be an excellent place to start. I've started working out at home in '06 with a WW VHS from the library, that was about 20min long but since I had never exercised before I treated it like it was a marathon, LOL. I"ve been consistant every since. Some of the members of VF forum have been exercising at home for the past 25 or so years; they started with Jane Fonda's record album and are still going strong.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 01-25-2010 at 11:37 PM.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #3  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I would recommend the walk away the pounds series by Leslie Sansone. They are very popular videos and I find them very motivational. Leslie Sansone is a great instructor who always reminds you it's ok if you can't do the routine like her or even make it to the end on the video, just do what you can do. She is very cheerful and encouraging. Her routines are very easy to follow and start at a low intensity 20 minute workout and build up to longer routines. A lot of her videos come with accessories like tension bands or weights and it makes it even more fun to add a variety. I hate exercise and have never had any luck with other videos. I now have a large collection of Leslie Sansone. Her videos are the only ones that keep me coming back to workout even when I don't feel like it. I would check out some clips on youtube. Just search Leslie Sansone and many clips will come up. If you see clips or her jogging or doing advanced moves, remember these are videos higher in the intermediate series. Her basic "walk away the pounds" series is much less intense and a great beginning. You can usually find the videos at HMV or other video stores. I found my first one at Walmart, that is what got me hooked

I hope that helps

Amanda
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

You can definitely work out at home without going to the gym and be very dedicated (Nelie is an excellent example of that).
I recently found a lovely DVD at Walmart, I don't recall the exact title but it features Amy Dixon. (I think it's not nothing new - it cost $.399). It's about a 30 minute long cardio routine with light weights. I had fun doing that - I like to have a variety of both difficult and less demanding exercises - sometimes my back hurts and I don't want to lift but I still want to move.

I love Jackie Warner's Workout DVD (also available at Walmart) - you can make it less or more demanding depending on how heavy dumbbells you choose.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinGreta View Post
Is it possible to work out at home and have the dedication to follow through every day?
My only comment is on this...

I'm thinking that a number of people can do this but I'm not one of them. I can work out some at home, but as far as every day with good intensity/variation etc, I just can't do the same as I do at the gym.

Maybe down the road. I do think you can get as good of a workout at home if you work at it, but I'm not in that list personally.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

I really like the Biggest Loser dvd's. The are set up in three incremental steps so you do more as you get stronger. The first step is very manageable when you are first starting out while giving a very good workout at the same time.
maryshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #7  
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

I workout at home and while I do like it I would also love to be able to go to a gym. I homeschool my 4 kids so it is easier for me to get up and not have to take the extra time to go to and come back from a gym.
This weeks routine for me is..
Mon - 4 mile Walk away the Pounds
Tues - The Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout
Wed - Spin Bike - 30mins - 6.25 miles predesigned routine
Thurs - 20 min Kettlebell training - 2 miles at church track
Fri - 5 mile Walk away the Pounds
Sat - We usually do a family activity like Tennis, Walking, ect.

I would start out with the Walk away the Lbs they are great. Start with one mile and then the next time try 2 and so on. If you like to walk outside that is always an activity I love. In the summer I love to swim and go to the beach so we add this in our routine as well.

For me working out is 2 fold, one is by myself focusing on working myself and the other is having fun with my family doing activities that get us all in shape. It has so many benefits.
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:49 AM   #8  

First of all, you have to create an exercise schedule so that you can make it a part of your daily routine. It really depends on how frequently you want to do your workout routines. You gotta have the discipline to follow through with your plans to achieve your goal.

I find videos from Workouts on Demand suitable for me. You can check it out and see if that works for you as well.

And remember if you’re a beginner don’t over exert yourself to prevent injuries. Let your breathing be your guide. If you’re out of breath, you’re over doing it. Results may take a while, but you’re working out not having surgery, okay?

Good luck on finding the right stuff that suits you.
jumpinjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:52 AM   #9  

If you’re the type who surfs the Internet, chances are you could easily find exercise videos that way.

Last edited by jumpinjack; 01-31-2010 at 03:53 AM.
jumpinjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #10  
Motivated 1/13/2010

S/C/G: 169/ticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I was one who never could exercise at home. I am doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. Tonight I am on Day 20. What motiviates me with this DVD is that I am making a commitment to do it 30 days. Journalling my exercise and food hsa kept me on track.

Maybe for you you can pick a DVD and start a small goal. I am going to do this for 7 days and see how it goes. Baby steps.

Good luck! The hard part is motiviation - for me anyway. Once you have your motivation, you are good to go!

You can and will do it!
Teresa2010 is offline   Reply With Quote