Old 01-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #1  
Can't read my poker face

Default P90X Question???

So I'm very interested in this P90X but I was wondering did you all buy the weights and stuff too. The program is already expensive as is but looks worth it but they suggested those weights that are so expensive and then you need the pull up bar. Any advice or tweeks you all have???
Patchouligroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

I bought a set of resistance bands for about $20 at walmart (3 different levels of resistance) that are very acceptable to use for all the exercises that require weight or resistance. I started this program a couple weeks ago and really like it. One of the people on each video uses bands throughout the workout to demonstrate their use. You can also use them instead of doing pull ups, which is a good thing since I can't do a pull up to save my life! It is a very challenging program, but you can modify the exercises some to fit your fitness level. Good luck!

Jenny
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/145/145

Height: 5'6"

Disclaimer - I am a Beachbody coach so some of my opinions may be biased.

They show a way to do assisted pull ups. If you start doing them with the bands you should consider moving on to assisted pull ups as a goal (set a lot of small, achievable goals during the program, it helps). It's a whole different ball game. Then you can move on to do a one unassisted pull up before using the chair (my wife and I both still do this, as many unassisted as we can then a few more with the chair).

As far a the chin up bar goes a less expensive option to the P90X branded one is the Iron Gym xtreme. It usually retails for around $40 at local sporting goods stores. It is a little lighter duty but for most people will work just fine. It also has all the hand positions needed should you decide to progress on to P90X Plus in the future (the standard Iron Gym one does not).

As far as the bands go, I've used the 3 pack (Gold's Gym brand) from Walmart when I first started on Power 90 (an entry level boot camp program by the same people that did P90X). After not too long in the program I had all 3 of the bands together and was looking for other options. If you have a Gym Source store local to you check them out. They sell the bands individually and are a much better quality. I purchased the medium (red) band for $9 from them. They have 6 different resistance bands in different weights at my local store. Plan on spending some time in the store and playing on all the equipment and talking to the people there. I think you'll get a lot of good info from them as they deal with a lot of people buying equipment for P90X (that and kettlebells are the popular home workouts according to them).
Ask what kind of deal they can give you on the bands as they will usually discount the marked retail price, I think it was marked at $11.

Start saving up what you would normally pay for a gym membership (after you cover the cost of P90X) for a set of adjustable dumbbells. You might be surprised how quickly you move up in required weight, especially for the back exercises. I chose PowerBlock Sport series (9.0) over the other major brands. Check the different brands in a few stores and see which ones are always broken before you spend a lot of money on them.

Feel free to email me with any questions you might have before buying the program. It does take commitment and is not an easy workout that just makes you feel good because you did a little aerobics. You will sweat, you will get sore muscles, you might even get nauseous from time to time when you really push it (we still do sometimes) but it is worth it on so many levels.

I had to work my way up to it though as I felt I was too out of shape to just jump in from no exercise at all. Some people are able to start it being more overweight than I was and I give them a lot of credit! I chose another program to start with then worked my way up (Power 90 then Master Series then P90X).

Keep Pushing Play

Walt
waltm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I have built up the amount of equipment I've had over the years so I have dumbbells, kettlebells, etc. I did buy a nice set of bands though for the pullups though because at just over 200 lbs, I am not doing pullups, assisted or not.

So you may need to make some equipment investments but I think it is well worth it. I love P90x so much! Really, it is an awesome program.

One thing I have decided against in the recent past though is that I don't want to buy adjustable dumbbells although I know many people have and like them. I have a set of dumbbells up to 20 lbs and beyond that, I have kettlebells. My only issue is that I can't find an inbetween size of kettlebells from 25 to 35 lbs. I think kettlebells are more versatile than dumbbells so that is my own personal choice.

Bands though are very versatile and you can travel with them and get a good workout on the road. The TSA didn't look too kindly to me when I tried to take a kettlebell on the plane so resistance bands are really the way to go

Oh and I know Beachbody recommends building up to P90x by going to Power 90, maybe Chalene extreme and then P90x. I chose for myself to just buy P90x because I figure I could modify the workouts and I have. I've shown vast improvement in strength and abilities in just a few weeks. I am amazed really.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/145/145

Sorry for posting in this thread, couldn't figure out how to PM

Nelie, I applaud you for jumping right in with P90X, as I said a lot of people do it, I just didn't think I could. You are an inspiration!

As far as in between sizes of kettlebells they don't traditionally go up incrementally like dumbbells do but in half pood increments, a pood being about 16kg or about 35lbs. With the growing use of them in this country some companies have started making smaller ones. There was a company rep offering discounts on kettlebells on the crossfit forums (equipment subforum) at $.99/lb for sizes 10-60lb in 5lb increments. Shipping up to 70lbs to the continental US (lower 48) was under $25. If a search doesn't turn it up email me and I'll send the link.

Walt
waltm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

walt,

Thanks for the info. I've thought about ordering some but I have smallish hands and I've found many kettlebells are designed for men so I'd have to look at them.

I am doing well with our 25 lb and 35 lb kettlebells though right now
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 457/see sig/200(or size18)

Height: 5ft9

I bought p90x off ebay( for a great discount). There are a lot of coaches that are getting merch and people who have bought the DVD's on a whim then decided that they are not for them and want to get rid of them.

Craigslist or Freecycle or Penny pincher magazine or even yard sales in your area could have excercise equipment your looking for. I saw a yard sale the other day that had a home gym for sale ( granted older model). Also friends and family can be an option as well, know someone who has a peice of equipment and its collecting dust. It may be worth the question if they would be willing to sell.

As for me I spent around $100 at walmart. I bought 2 weights (8lbs each..these multi task for my push up bars), 3 resistance bands, yoga mat ( which seems to be more an investment to my daughter playing with it *rme* she thinks its a nap mat now), heart monitor, sports bras ( very important to me atleast ), and tennis shoes. I need to loose some weight before I worry about a pull up bar. They also have weights you can change the weights on, which may be an option.
qtkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #8  
Restart Date: 1/01/2020

S/C/G: 246.2/TICKER/140

Height: 5'4"

These are all great suggestions. Another accomodation I suggest is using bigger weights as push-up bars. I use 12lb weights (they are square) as push-up bars to keep my wrists straight. My wrists hurt if I do them unassisted and I didn't want to buy a set.

I don't own pull-up bar and doubt I will. My husband would kill me if I damaged the wood work on a doorway and I am too heavy. I have my resistance bands rigged to a chain on my garage ceiling to do the modified moves. (We used to hang a punching-bag there, so I'm not worried about ripping it out)

P90X is well worth the investment.
leopardspots is offline   Reply With Quote