Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #1  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Default Need to reboot my plan

I'm not complaining about my progress thus far, I promise! But January has been my slowest month by far - down 5.6 pounds. Again, I'm not complaining, but it's a big difference from my recent averages of 10 pounds a month. I use an app on my iPhone to track my progress and my rate of loss has slowed down so much that it's currently predicting it'll be December before I reach my goal. I know I can do better than that.

I think the best thing to do when you hit a rough patch is to regroup and buckle down. So I'm going to take a break from planning my own food for the next month and get my food from a local healthy meals delivery company I've used before to clean up my palate. I've been eating more processed foods and want to get back to fresher stuff with less salt, more balanced nutrient-wise and a controlled calorie count. I've been staying within 1500 calories a day consistently, but I feel like I've been drifting, getting lazy, and not planning as well as I used to. My hope is this will remind me what healthy, fresh eating feels like, inspire me with some new ideas for things I can cook for myself and break me out of my processed food rut.

And the other part is exercise. I need to be doing more (how many years have I been admitting this to you all and not doing it? It's shameful, I tell ya). I'll never be a gym rat, but even long, brisk, daily walks would be an improvement over my haphazard exercise now. Consistency and commitment to it is what I need.

So I'm officially declaring February my reset month. I'm starting over. Cleaning house. Improving my habits. Going back to what I know works and seeing if that snaps me out of this slow patch.

Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble. You all are such a huge part of my accountability! What would I do without my 3FC friends?
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I love the take-the-bull-by-the-horn attitude. I'm not sure I'd personally turn to meal delivery because of expense and because I like to know what's in my food. But I do like that you are doing something and not becoming complacent. Man, do you ever have a can-do attitude! It's definitely something to be learned from!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Thanks Eliana! Normally, I don't have a very strong can-do attitude (more a can-try attitude), but it feels like I've come too far to screw this up now. And losing focus is the first step to screwing up!

I totally agree with you about the expense (this one is pretty reasonable, considering the convenience factor and it stops all my trips to the grocery store and Costco, so it's not too much more than I'd normally spend). I'm basically paying for a kick in the rear with some food added in. But it's a good way to shake things up. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had a family to feed too.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I've been playing around with the idea of going vegishtarian for February. Ish because I'm not willing to give up beef stock for my veggie soup or give up fish at all. I think that's pecatarian plus beef stock to be honest but I'm kind of stuck on the "ish" thing because I get that way with the English language.

Anyway... my point is I've been thinking of cleaning up my diet a bit, too. We don't have healthy food delivery here in podunk Iowa so this is what I'm thinking of trying. Veggies or bust. What do you think?
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

5.6 pounds a month is a good rate of loss! Most 3FCers would be happy to hit that.

I think if you finally do get around to being more regular with exercise it will make a big difference.

Hang in there! Don't ease off now!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #6  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

Sounds like you've made a great plan. I went through a similar sort of jumpstart in December when I began a regular exercise schedule. After a 3-week mini plateau the weight melted off and it really reinvigorated my motivation. Stick with your plan and I'm sure you'll be seeing results soon!
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post

And the other part is exercise. I need to be doing more (how many years have I been admitting this to you all and not doing it? It's shameful, I tell ya). I'll never be a gym rat, but even long, brisk, daily walks would be an improvement over my haphazard exercise now. Consistency and commitment to it is what I need.
All right girlie,

I'm just going to jump in and say that you don't need to be a gym rat, but you really need to consider the activity quotient as well as the food quotient.

When my own loss stalled I scrutinized my food plan, going over my logs trying to find differences, and I couldn't really find them...

Until it occurred to me that one thing that had changed was my activity level... the weather got colder, I was spending less time outside, and at the same time I have been immersed in a work project-- so, more time on my computer. I WAS exercising, but I'm pretty sure my overall activity level had declined.

When I upped my exercise, adding walk/run and lifting to my program, the scale started moving. I did not have to ratchet down my food. (or up my calories either) I just needed to get my motor running a little faster.

Not saying it's a bad thing to go with prepared food for a while-- I like how brainless that is, and you're such a pro at this by now that it's not likely to trigger weird behavior.

I noticed that a lot of people slowed in December, and I'm convinced that it has something to do with winter and moving less even if we're not aware of it...

GOOD LUCK!!! Maybe you're just getting close enough to goal that 10 lb monthly losses just are harder to come by now...
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I admit I agree with ubergirl. I can eat exactly the same for two weeks and if I get plenty of exercise one week and no exercise the other week the weight loss difference will be pounds. Literally pounds. I've had this awful cold for a week and truly have not been able to do much more than work and sleep and even though my eating has been perfectly on plan I've only lost about 1-1.5 pounds. Had I been at the Y doing my thing I would have lost 3-4. Multiplied by many weeks, that's a huge difference.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #9  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

Yep, I slowed in December, too. There were some aggravating factors, other than the holidays -- I got pretty ill, for example -- but I'm sure the lousy weather (and a lot of time spent just hanging with family and such) had a lot to do with it, because I wasn't getting in my usual level of fitness time. January has been a lot better, because I buckled down, and once the weather became even barely tolerable, got my butt out of the house to exercise. So, yes, do what you need to on the food, but I'm inclined to agree that exercising will help a lot.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I think nature doesn't want us to lose in December-- explains why we all feast then... it's fat lay down time....

Except, that for me, it's fat lay down time all the time, LOL.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I think it's great to revamp things, and also to give yourself a vacation from meal planning and cooking.

IMO, the biggest issue to weight loss (and maintenance) is staying on plan and I say bravo for using every tool in your arsenal to keep yourself motivated!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #12  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

WOW - I am so where you are right now!! I HAD less that 20 lbs to go to reach my goal and now for this month I am back up to needing 20 to make my goal. Feels like I have been going wrong some where and I need to figure out where. I really feel mostly it's my food consumtion. I have been changing thigns up to keep from getting bored but maybe it's not the right changes. I definitely need to take a look into what's going on and make those changes before it gets the better of me!

I always thought it was the last 10 lbs that were the toughest but I am finding it's the last 20 lbs.
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote