Old 01-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Default Fiber?

Per Fitday, I typically get about 20 gr of fiber per day from what I eat. I know "they" say to get 25 gr per day, so I'm falling a little short. I'm not having fiber related concerns, but was thinking about whether or not I should take some sort of fiber supplements.

Does anyone else take them and if so, any specific recommendations on type, brand, etc.? And if you do take them, do you notice any difference in terms of weight loss?
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/170/150

Fiber is to mostly keep you fuller. I always get fiber enough fiber by eat fiber one bars, or fiber one cereal. The cereal is okay not great. But the fiber one bars (specifically the chocolate and oats favor) is so FABULOUS. Its about 140 calories, 4g fats, and 9 fibers.
AmandaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I add flax seed and wheat germ to my morning steel cut oats to get fiber. Apples are also high fiber.

I prefer to real foods over supplements when I can. Our bodies absorb the real thing better.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #4  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I use a fair amount of flax seed too, and eat apples; also I top my morning cereal with 1/4-1/3c Kashi Golean Crunch.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/240.8/180

Height: 5'10"

I use fiber choice tablets (I buy them at Costco t save a little $). They actually taste pretty good and give you that little boost. I need a lot of fiber to keep my system running smoothly (if you get the hint) I actually take two servings of the tablets during the day. One in the morning and one a night. My doctor recommended this since I seem to need so much fiber. I prefer to get fiber naturally but always feel much better when taking the supplements as well.
Papillion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #6  
Out is Through

Fiber Plus bars are really great, they give you 35% I believe of your daily fiber intake and they taste wonderful. Fiber One Caramel Delight cereal is fantastic as well, a bit on the sugary side so be careful with portions or overindulging.

If you're a fan of fruits and veggies eat a plate of broccoli and/or cauliflower with brummel & brown yogurt spread and some lemon juice.. yummy! Apple slices with a bit of natural peanut butter and a sprinkle of splenda is also a really great snack.. protein and fiber wrapped up in one and it'll keep you fuller longer!
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I get in way over 50 - 60 grams of fiber a day. I eat tons of veggies, Fiber One cereal and fruit.

It's a weight loss powerhouse. It keeps me FULL. And as an added bonus, foods high in fiber are low in calories. It's a win/win situation!

The health benefits are pretty spectacular too:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033

Instead of adding in supplements, have you considered tweaking your diet to get more out of it?

All fruits and veggies have some fiber, here a partial list

apples, pears, oranges, berries,, cabbage, greens, spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli, zucchini and other squashes, cauliflower, beans, nuts, whole grains.

I attribute eating a high fiber diet to my losing the weight and now keeping it off.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Fiber is my friend as well. I just did a quick count, and already today, (before supper) I have had 28g of fiber and approx 950 calories so far. All of my fiber has come from foods. With my planned supper I'll be at around 37 grams and 1500 calories. Sometimes I go higher but usually never lower. I stay full and satisfied for long periods of time, I usually don't have a snack in between meals, and I have lost many pounds doing what I'm doing. The only time I have had "regularity" problems is if I eat to many banana's. I'm pretty much as regular as a good clock. Oh, I might mention that if I eat too much fiber, (50+) I tend to get the fiber farts! lol

Last edited by Lori Bell; 01-25-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I would just say keep some Phazyme or Gas-X on hand as you try the high fiber foods. Some of them will really cause a lot of gas. Fiber plus bars are good, fiber one bars are even better if you don't explode! Cabbage is my go-to for bulking up food. I put it in everything.

Fiber farts! That cracked me up!!!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Wheat bran, wheat bran, wheat bran. Wheat bran goes great in oatmeal, cereal, browned lean ground beef (burger-in-a-bowl), pudding, yogurt. It's basically sawdust, but its a magical powder that makes ordinary food into super-filling food. I can't say enough good things about wheat bran. (Wheat germ tastes better, but it's higher in fat/calories).
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #11  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

You should definitely be getting enough fiber. I generally clock out each day without about twice the recommended amount. I am another one that will suggest changing food habits instead of supplements. Fiber One bars are good, as others have mentioned. Shredded Wheat is another good source. I also eat most of my pasta from fibergourmet.com They are awesome - the pasta they sell is 18g fiber per serving out of 43g carb total and only 130 calories, they even have flavored ones (including chocolate).
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/270/135

Height: 5'6"

I don't take supplements. I usually have oatmeal each morning for breakfast, then I look for anything that high fiber in it. One of my favorite things are this Ole Tortillas that have 12g of fiber in each tortilla. I'm doing WW so they're only 1pt per tortilla. I'll make them into wraps or low-cal quesadillas. They are so awesome.

The only drawback:
One day I had 2 wraps for lunch and made fajitas for dinner....I ended up having 4 of the tortillas, which is 48g of fiber...let me just say, holy crap...no pun intended. The fiber did it's job, lol
Jaimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

thanks for the input everyone. I'm not feeling in need of more fiber for any particular problems, but I will look into different ways to increase my intake if they are something I can reasonably fit into my eating. However, I am not really interested in adding 140 calories for something like the Fiber One bars (plus they have HFCS and some other things I do my best to avoid)
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #14  

Height: 6-1.5

If you eat plenty of salads and vegetables (preferably fresh) you should not need to take OTC fiber suppliments.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote