Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5

Arrow Hypothyroid and weight loss

Hey there,

I am hypothyroid and finally on the right meds and feeling great. But I still feel like its harder to lose weight than it should be. Anyone else hypothyroid (on medication) and still find it difficult to lose weight?

-Constance
constance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/see ticker/140

Height: 5'1"

Oh heck yes!
nonamortica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 263/256.2/140

Height: 5'2"

Same here! But I have only been on meds for 3 months. I need to get blood work done again next week to see if it needs increased. The Dr. started me out with a low dose. A friend told me it took 9 months before she saw any real difference on the meds.
Starfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #4  

Maybe it will get better!! I have only been on the right medication for 3 months.
My husband and I are eating the same thing and he isn't exercising like me. But yet he has lost double the weight I have.... It can get discouraging..
Old 01-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/see ticker/140

Height: 5'1"

I gained all my weight due to undiagnosed, untreated hypothyroid. I was skinny to normal until my 40's. I reached 196 before I finally got treatment. Then, went lo carb and lost the first 30 lbs relatively easily in the first year. Then, it stopped and I have yet to figure out how to push past the 155 point. I have been trying to break 150 for over a decade now. It's so frustrating.
nonamortica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 262/259.2/160

Height: 5'6

I find that it's always easier for men to lose weight so don't be discouraged that your husband is losing at a faster rate than you.

But yes, I too am hypothyroid and find it very difficult to lose weight. Even when I eat well and exercise I don't see the results that others non-hypothyroid would see. Frustrating....yes.

Just don't give up.
kl_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/170/150

Height: 5'7

I am new to this forum...but searched hypothyroid and found your comment. I went from not having a weight problem (weighing 130's), to within a year when I was 20 years old weighing 220's. I didn't know what was wrong, I was always active and eating healthy. Through strict diet and ALOT of excerise I got to 190's. But it wasnt till I was 25 I got my thyroid checked and found out I was hypo. It actually took me two years to get to the right dose. It has just been very frusterating, I eat very well, and jog 2-3 miles non-stop 5 times a week, and lift weights. I see lean women at the gym not having to jog as long as I have to, and it becomes frusterating. I am finally down to 170, but I have been stuck for a month now. I just want to say, that I can relate to you, that it is very hard for a person to lose weight, and I feel it is harder when you have thyroid problems. I am glad I found this forum, it has made me less depressed to hear other people are going through this too.
Mookie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #8  

I've been hypo since I was 21 and I'm now 68. I've lost nearly 200 pounds but I am very strict about what I eat. I limit raw broccoli, cabbage and things in that family because it impacts your thyroid adversely. I eat no processed foods except an occasional slice of bread. I only eat 3 servings of grains or other starches a day and eat a lot of protein, veggies, fruit and dairy. If your meds are at the right level and you exercise an hour a day, you should be able to lose weight like anyone else. If you are still having difficulty, get your levels checked.

I also do WW Simply Filling option.

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 02-07-2010 at 10:57 AM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #9  

Now that I am on the right medicine and dose, things seem to be looking better. Thanks for all the encouraging words! Never thought I would have to deal with this at 25 years old!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #10  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

I am hypothyroid. I was diagnosed when I was 25, this year I will be 42. Even though I am on the correct dosage of meds, it's still difficult. I watch what I eat and exercise daily. I still feel tired. I think more than most people. But for me it goes with the territory. I went from 180 to 356 before I was diagnosed. I was tested 3 years in a row before I was diagnosed.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #11  

I was just saying in another thread that it took almost 2 years to feel better on the meds and adjust to the right dosage.

Good Luck! It really does take time but in the long run feels so much better!
Jeces is offline   Reply With Quote