Old 01-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #1  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Getting ready to join a gym.

Today makes two weeks since the hubby and I started Weight Watchers. And I've lost 11 pounds so far =)

My husband gets paid this Friday, and we are going to join a gym! I am actually really excited about getting in there!

My questions is this: Where do I start?? Where did you ladies first start?

When my husband originally lost all of his weight [130lbs], he started on a bike and worked with just that for two weeks or so before moving on to other equipment. I was thinking it'd be nice to hear where you ladies started, on what equipment and for how long?

Thanks girls!
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #2  
Have faith...

S/C/G: 325/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I love my gym! I've been trying to focus on cardio (walking and elliptical) making sure my heart rate is within range. If I am short on time, I do 30-40 minutes, varying my heart rate (interval training). If I have more time, I go for about 60 minutes, keeping my heart rate steady. I also love lifting weights so I try and fit that in 2x a week.

Some gyms have free personal training sessions when you first join. I used mine to get some idea of what kind of weights and workouts would be good for me to start not only losing weight, but getting in better cardiovascular shape.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Crushed; 01-24-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Crushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 264/260.5/150

Height: 5'6"

I started out with the bike and walking the first couple days, then started in on the elliptical. That was hard the first couple times, could only make it 10 minutes. Now I do 30-40 on the elliptical and walk on the treadmill for 10-20 depending on how much time I have.
ToriLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #4  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

I started out on the treadmill. Once I was able to walk at a brisk pace for an hour at a time, I switched to circuit training. Any combination of treadmill, bike, elliptical, and/or row machine was used to add up to an hour of cardio. The one thing that really keeps me from getting bored with daily trips to the gym is music. When I am not working out with my personal trainer, I've got my mp3 player and it makes the time fly.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:31 AM   #5  
Jolly rancherette

S/C/G: 286/275/262 = 43.5/41.8/39.5

Height: 5'8''

Good for you! I started (back) at the gym (again...) a couple of weeks ago and I *love* it. The difference this time has been getting a programme that really works for me, mixes it up, and is interesting. If your gym offers free or low-cost programme advice, definitely take it. One of the things that always gets me when I try it on my own is knowing how to increase my workout to see results - this programme sets it all out for me over 12 weeks. Good luck!

[edited to add:] oops! forgot to tell you what the programme actually is, while raving about it. I do: 6 minutes on the elliptical (2 minutes at level 1, 1 minute at level 3 x2), 6 minutes on the upright bike (ditto), and 5 minutes on the arm cycle at level 2. After 4 weeks, I have to put all the levels up by 1, and after 6 weeks I add another 3-minute rep to each. After the cardio I do weights, 4 different machines, 3x15 reps on each. It's a short workout (important for me), but intense.

Last edited by Bellsybells; 01-25-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Bellsybells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

I started on the treadmill for 40 minutes then started doing five minutes on the elliptical (because after that I felt my legs were going to fall off!). Gradually I worked my way to 40 minutes on the elliptical. I get bored easy so for me I don't spend all my time on one machine. I moved around to the treadmill, elliptical, and stationary bike, and gradually started adding weights.

Start slow, don't overwork yourself! Find something you like and stick with it!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

wow, congrats on the great weight loss!!!

good tips here. I started on the treadmill then did elliptical and bike. I had to start off slow since I was pretty out of shape in the beginning, couldn't do more than 10 min on the elliptical. I've switched the machines and amount of time lots of times.

someone posted this link a while back people might be interested in about exercise for an overweight beginner
http://www.stumptuous.com/no-fat-chicks

I remember Bob on the Biggest Loser saying he thought it was better to have more of a challenge than to go faster, so I've increased the incline on the treadmill rather than upped the pace particularly (once I got to a pace I felt worked for me). I check my heart rate after about 10 min, that's how I decide on intensity (130 to 140 for my age, 45). Don't be afraid to ask the trainers questions.

for resistance and weights, I think it's a great idea to have a session with a trainer since form and the amounts of weights you use makes a big difference.

I always bring my ipod shuffle, love that thing.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/257/184

Height: 6'0"

Congrats on the weight loss and for making plans for the gym! I just started a couple of weeks ago and for the first week and I told myself that it didn't matter what I did at the gym...just as long as I went on the days that I planned. I haven't been to the gym in years and it was actually a big milestone for me to join again. I had so much fear that I just wanted to get into the routine before focusing on lengths/levels. (I actually find myself looking forward to it every day now...who would have thought!) I then started off on the treadmill for 40 min. and gradually worked up as I got more comfortable. Now I am doing a combination of the treadmill, ellipitical, and bike for 60 minutes. I'm also just starting to incorporate weights as I get more comfortable. I would say to really listen to your body. Find what you like to do...that's what will keep you going back. Best of luck...we are all rooting for you!
brandijune44 is offline   Reply With Quote