South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 161.5/148.5/130

Height: 5'6"

Default I really think I don't want to go back to any grains or potato

even though whole grains are allowed in ph 2 and 3.
I have found that all the other veggies, protein, and legumes are just fine.
I try to incorporate beans on a daily basis, and I am eating a lot of veggies.
I am still afraid of even whole wheat pasta, bread, even steel cut oatmeal. These are the kinds of foods that don't fill me up, and I will eat till I explode.
It is fun learning what works and doesn't work for my body.
Good luck to all and keep up your good work!
Deb
Old 01-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #2  

Eliminating any food group from your diet for more than a short time isn't healthy.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #3  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I disagree- I have eliminated meat for the past 4 years. I still get my protien... Her eliminating grains or potatoes doens't mean she isn't getting enough fiber or carbs... We are simply being selective from where we get them....
I think if you don't feel you need them don't eat them right now! NOW, if you said I don't need my veggies I would strongly disagree ;0) Im not an expert and don't know well exactly what all nutrition come from eating whole grains but I stay away from them and feel fabulous just eating my veggies and beans... I get plenty of fiber and protien...
Eventually if you want a serving of a healthy whole grain have it-many people wait until they are in maintenance to add these things- you have the right approach- you seem to know they will cause cravings for you so I think you're doing the right thing!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

FWIW I'd recommend inputting your menus into something like FitDay for a week or two to make sure there are no nutrients being missed. If it all looks good then go for it. I think I get maybe 3 or 4 servings of grain a week (all gluten free right now) so I know it's possible. I do think it's even more important to see how your meals break out though.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

Where is that darn acronym sticky when I need it?

Cyndi and Quilter have clearly had great success on this plan so I would careful consider their advice.

That said... I totally understand you, Deb. I am avoiding grains right now too. I don't plan to do it much longer, but I know that historically I have less control with those foods and am more likely to overeat or crave. I do not overeat proteins but give me a box of crackers and I can go to town! If there is something I really want - like steel cut oats and Triscuits, I think I am better avoiding it for now. Soon the day will come when I feel more secure in my willpower and I will take baby-steps to add them in. So far in the last two weeks I have had bread once, instead going with fruit.

Glad to know I am not the only one.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I know cutting out grains is often thought of as cutting out a food group, I would argue that it is not.

In a very real sense, the "food groups" are arbitrary, even "fictional" constructs (fictional in terms of being invented by humans to classify the unclassifiable).

For example, the "dairy" group - All other mammals do perfectly fine drinking only their own mother's milk only until weaned in early childhood. So why do humans "need" dairy. The fact is they do not, as long as they get sufficient calcium in other foods. Dairy is another food that we managed to do without until modern agriculture was invented. So for 95% or more of our species existence, we did ok without dairy. Many cultures do without adult-dairy, and seem to do fine, even today. So, why do Americans need it now (if indeed we do - it's because we're avoiding "food groups" we once included regularly).

If it's true (and there's some pretty compelling evidence) that homo-sapiens have only been eating a significant amount of grains (and dairy) for about 10,000 years (with the transition to agriculture), while our species has been around 195,000 years or more, that means we've gone virtually grainless for 95% of our known history. To call grain foods a "required food group," doesn't seem to hold much water. (15,000 years is an eyeblink in terms of evolution).

There are also food sources, though that modern humans avoid, that primitive peoples (and even modern civilizations in other parts of the world) take advantage of - such as insects.

Insects contain so many nutrients, that to some peoples, it is entirely appropriate to classify insects and insect eggs as a food group (argueably separate from other proteins, because of the many unique micronutrients they contains). And unlike grains, humans have been eating insects, for as long as humans have existed.

Yet no one (well, virtually no one) in the USA is being criticised for eliminating the "entire food group" of insects.

There are other "food groups" that we ignore in the US, because we find them unpalatable (but that our ancestors ate regularly, and many modern peoples still do) - animal and fish bones, skin, organ meats, egg shells, insects...

We don't "group" these foods, only because we don't eat them.

Nature does not divide foods into food groups, humans do that - and since we've been doing it (only about 100 years in the USA), we've done and do it many different ways (so who and when is "right?"). Depending on the time and place, there can be four groups, five groups, six groups, seven groups, sixteen food groups, thirty-two food groups (I didn't make this up, these have all been used, and many are still in use today).

While food groups are a convenient way to look at nutrition - it's more psuedo--science than science, as the divisions are rather arbitrary. While it's true that foods are lumped together based on similar micro- and macro-nutrient profiles, many foods overlap groups or fit into multiple groups, or don't fit well into any group.

Tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, - are they vegetables or are they fruit? Botanically, they're all fruit, but we tend to put them into the vegetable category, because they're rather low calorie compared to the other fruits, and we eat them as a vegetable.

I choose to eat grains very sparingly. I feel best when I avoid wheat altogether (I suspect from my reaction that I'm either allergic to wheat, or sensitive to gluten). Rice and quinoa don't seem to be a problem, and the jury's still out on corn.

I follow an exchange plan. In the exchange plan I follow, there are 6 food groups protein, dairy, starch, fat, fruit, and vegetables.

I include two to three starch servings. That's pretty low, and I may be able to eat more servings as I lose weight and become less insulin resistant. Regardless, I've been able to find many grain-free starches, so I consider that not "avoiding a food group," but avoiding SOME foods within a food group.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-24-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaistingTime View Post
Where is that darn acronym sticky when I need it?

Cyndi and Quilter have clearly had great success on this plan so I would careful consider their advice.
Everyone is different. One of the great things about learning to eat this way is learning what your body can and can't handle, and what you need. My only advice is to make absolutely sure that you're covering your bases nutrient-wise. Lots of successfully maintaining Chicks can and do eat whole grains regularly. My body doesn't do so well with those so I eat them sparingly. OTOH (another one!) I can eat all the fruit I want with no trouble while others have to stick to strict portions and servings. It's all about your body. That's the FWIW - for what it's worth
Old 01-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #8  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Kaplods beat me to the punch! I see no problem with avoiding grains. People can live without pasta, and many cultures do so quite well. Now, if you are avoiding all carbohydrates, that might be a problem. Luckily, we can get plenty good carbs from veggies, fruits, beans, etc.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #9  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I'm glad that you're finding your "groove". I think finding what works for us as individuals is a huge step. I added some grains back in, but still don't eat much oatmeal. It's something i can live without. It was months before I tried rice again, and although I don't eat it often I have acquired a real fondness for a brown/wild rice mixture.

Kaplods, thanks for the note on dairy. I get my calcium from other sources and only have the occasional yogurt. I know dairy may increase WL but I stopped years ago due to suspected lactose intolerance, and don't enjoy the taste at all anymore.

In the nearly 9 months since starting SBD I haven't eaten corn, pineapple or potatoes. I could have them occasionaly, but it's ok for now. Besides, I love the mashed cauliflower so much I may never cook mashed potatoes again.

I'm still finding what works best for me. I'm cutting out gluten this week just as a mini break.

Thanks for sharing what is working for you.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #10  

I didnt' notice when I responded that this was in the South Beach forum, or I would have tailored my response a bit (though reading through it, it seems mostly fairly consistent with SB philosophy).
Old 01-25-2010, 05:38 AM   #11  
Working on healthy

Kaplods - are you kidding, it was your usual thorough, well thought out response Most of us are advocates of finding what works for your body. I also don't eat much dairy, primarily yogurt, but huge amounts of greens (I'm addicted). thanks!

Last edited by CyndiM; 01-25-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #12  

Thanks CyndiM, I'm always careful about posting in forums in which I'm not fully-participating a member of. I still post (just try to make me keep an opinion to myself), but I do try to add an appropriate disclaimer. For example, I sometimes see a post in the 20-something group and feel I have to say up front that I haven't been in my 20's in quite some time (I'm going to be 44).

I don't want to confuse anyone new to South Beach because of something I posted without the disclaimer that I'm not following the plan - especially because I have so much respect for the plan. I'd recommend South Beach as a starting point for almost anyone. Even if a person would choose not to even try the plan, I'd still want them to read it.

If I could recommend only three weight loss resources, it would be the books Volumetrics, the basic South Beach book, and The End of Overeating.

I can't imagine what my life would be like, if I found these resources sooner, rather than later (say in my early 20's instead of my early 40's).
Closed Thread