Old 01-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/202/150

Height: 5'4

Default Anyone do the gym?

I am REALLY considering joining 24 hour fitness. We have a new one just a few blocks away. We belonged to a gym before, only went like 3 times. But they were really small, no classes, no one was ever there after like 2 pm actually. You got in a by a chip that you scanned at the door. I don't want to waste any money by not going so I'm just not sure. I REALLY want this new life. More than I have ever wanted it before. I feel that I am finally motivated enough. It's hard to exercise at home. Don't really have anything but 3lb weigths. No really room to move around. Can't do any videos because the place we live is kinda old and you can hear every foot step and since my husband's family lives downstairs that would just be way too loud. I don't really feel safe just walking outside in the dark. But, I'm VERY self conscious and I know a gym will be hard at first. And my husband isn't ready to face the gym yet so it will just be me alone. Any thoughts? Anyone else do 24hr fitness? Good or no good? Thanks guys!
Joey xoxo
minijaxgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #2  
Just starting out!

S/C/G: 268/ticker/180

Height: 5"11

I think joining a gym is a fantastic idea, especially since you're motivated! The gym can be intimidating, but once you feel comfortable and in a good routine it can be an incredible asset! I belong to LA Fitness, but have many friends who love 24hour and some that even work there and teach classes. To me all the gyms (24 hr, ballys, LA fitness) are all pretty much the same. Go in and make friends and say you're looking around for a good gym and trying out other ones too (that'll usually get you a good deal!).

Good luck!
kcalcount87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #3  
19Deltawifey

24 hour fitness is awesome. The gym that I go to closes at 8 pm which is frustrating because sometimes I don't get in the mood to workout until 7. I prefer to work out by myself I tend to get more done and I push myself really hard because I just want to get it over with. I also do Dance dance revolution when I just want to have fun and get a workout without realizing it. I know thats out of the option since you have people who live under you. Go to the gym you will enjoy it. The only time that I go walking at night is if I take my dog but I live on a military base so I don't have that much to worry about.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/170/150

I use to go the the gym at school (university of Kansas) it was always packed. Then I joined anytime fitness after I graduated (same deal: people never there, chip to get in,etc) But I love going more to anytime fitness. I like nobody there, nobody seeing me workout, I could stop and sit and rest without feeling like people are judging me, I never have to wait for a machine, or see someone I know looking gross and sweaty lol. Why does it matter to you that the gym is big and have tons of people?

But if that gym has the equipment or classes you are looking for then go for it! I'm pretty sure 24hour fintess has a 7 day pass. Try it and test it out and so how much you go in that week.
AmandaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/140/120

Height: 5'2"

love love love 24 hour fitness...yes you can get a week free and they are super good about giving you the best deal. i live in CA right by their regional headquarters actually and so i have always loved going to the ones out here. however, i lived in nyc for a bit and hated the 24 hour there...it did not feel right. try it out and see what works for you
charlottekelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaMary View Post
I use to go the the gym at school (university of Kansas) it was always packed. Then I joined anytime fitness after I graduated (same deal: people never there, chip to get in,etc) But I love going more to anytime fitness. I like nobody there, nobody seeing me workout, I could stop and sit and rest without feeling like people are judging me, I never have to wait for a machine, or see someone I know looking gross and sweaty lol. Why does it matter to you that the gym is big and have tons of people?

But if that gym has the equipment or classes you are looking for then go for it! I'm pretty sure 24hour fintess has a 7 day pass. Try it and test it out and so how much you go in that week.
Anytime fitness is the gym I belonged to before. It didn't have really all that extra stuff. What I really want to do is swim laps. 24hr fitness has a lap pool. Otherwise I would go back to Anytime. I'm a great swimmer, always have been. Must admit that now that I'm way bigger not as fast and can't go as long, but swimming is SO good for your body, and doesn't put nearly as much pressure on your bones and joints as everything else. I'm not really a people person now that I'm a bigger so less people is always a plus. And I'm sure I will see people I know at 24hr, but I'm hoping I can just get over that. lol. Waiting for a machine would be SUPER lame, but I've waited pretty much most of my life to get healthy, so what is 15 minutes to wait to get on the treadmill. Plus Anytime didn't have all of the classes that 24hr has. Kickboxing, yoga, they pretty much have all of the classes I want to take, and they are on my days off too which is excellent! I'm just nervous I guess. I know people will judge me (people always do, not just judge me either. meanie-heads. lol) but what I don't understand most of all is, if I'm at the gym, yeah I may be fat, but I'm doing something about it. Shouldn't you look kindly on me for that?! Jerks
Old 01-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #7  
Training for my first 10K

S/C/G: 189/153/130

Height: 5"5

I go to an all women gym that is very popular in my area and up the east coast. I love, love, love it. I do have workout stuff at home (treadmill, dvds out the wazoo, and a total gym) however, there's something so much different about being there. First, just getting there is half the battle, then once you have a foot in the door you won't want to leave. Second, classes are my fav because it is a no brainer workout...someone is standing up there telling me what to do. Third, there is fierce motivation. Not only do you have a little competition with the girl next to you on the elliptical, but you see people older or even heavier than you doing the same workout you are with ease!(and you think well heck if they can do it, i can too).
I have a small group of friends now that all workout together too. I also have joined gyms in the past and never went, but since deciding I wanted to adopt a healthier lifestyle I have been faithful about going everyday I am off from work (4 days ).
I would say go check it out for free and see how you like it and if you have multiple gyms in your area check out a few to see what fits!
Good Luck!
laurynrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:36 AM   #8  

So obviously you can (and should!) exercise anywhere for any amount of money, using anything. Jogging, videos, pushups, running after children whatever.

That said, I find that I struggle to maintain high intensity and focus for a period of exercise if I am not at the gym. So I go as often as possible since I accomplish more in an hour at the gym than other forms of exercise.

I think literally the act of putting on workout clothes and driving somewhere greatly helps me get motiviated to put in good effort once there.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

Height: 5'8"

I think you may be pleasantly surprised at how people at the gym may treat you. It sounds like you are anticipating people there judging you, but honestly people are mostly worried about themselves and getting healthy. Paying attention to what other people are doing or how they look is just too much work, especially when one is working so hard in their own workout. There are people of all sizes at the gym I go to, and we are all one "happy family", so to speak. We're all there for the same purpose. I hope you end up joining, and really feel at home in your gym. It would definitely encourage you to go regularly.
gardend1va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #10  

Thanks everyone I'm going to join. I have to wait until after my TOM.. which who knows how long that will be because I have issues and tend to bleed for like 2 months at a time... So whenever that is over I WILL be joining.. Can't wait!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #11  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

I don't do 24 Hour or any of those because I'm military and just use the base gym. There's less offered for classes and such than off base gyms, but it's free and they do have some classes along with tons of equipment and an indoor track. I definitely think you should go to the gym. As laurynrn said, it is very motivating. I have all kinds of stuff at home to work out, but once I started going to the gym I fell in love and I now do way more there than I do at home. These days I'm getting pretty good and have noticed that I am also motivating others. That feels awesome and just gives me even more motivation. Take advantage of the free week that many of them offer to try out a few different ones and find what you like best. Also, I would say for you not to wait until TOM is over. I have issues too (PCOS) and working out helps it. I used to sometimes have TOM for 2-3 months at a time and maybe a week or 2 in between. Since I started a serious workout program it has improved sooo much. I never have more than 2 weeks now and I usually get 3 weeks between. My cycle seems healthier every single month. I also feel better if I workout during TOM - it lessens the cramps, bloating, general ickies.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #12  

carlyjordon2002 - are you using a base gym that closes at 8? That is insane! I'm sorry that they do that to you.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #13  

I recently joined 24 hour fitness (in NYC) and so far I love it. I feel VERY self conscious and I'm still working up the courage to try certain machines. Even though I also feel like people are watching me and making judgments, in reality I know I'm being paranoid and I just need to get over it. Even if they do judge me, I'm there for myself, not them.

Good luck with it!! I'm sure you will love it.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #14  
19Deltawifey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitGirlyGirl View Post
carlyjordon2002 - are you using a base gym that closes at 8? That is insane! I'm sorry that they do that to you.
Yup its a gym on the Army base, we have about 6. There is 1 that stays open til 9pm but it has waay too many guys there who seem to only be there to pick up girls. We call that gym a meat market and I hate going there because the guys are like "hey baby let me holla" and stuff and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Also most of the gyms close at 5pm on the weekends which sucks also but oh well I will just do my Dance Dance Revolution until I can go to the gym. My husband works late and I have 2 kids so I can only get to the gym every now and then.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #15  

6 gyms on 1 base? I'm kinda jealous. My DH is AF, we just have the 1 gym. However, it is very friendly and definitely no meat market and stay open until 11 during the week and 7 on weekends, closing early or completely for some holiday of course, so I'm not completely jealous, but 6 gyms? Wow!