Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #1  
Lamest Loner Around

S/C/G: 278/260/130

Height: 5'6

Exclamation Help! I Want Pizzaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

-sigh-

Me and my mom are basically Italian..........LOL!
She grew up around nothing but Italians, and our fav. type of food is definitely, hands-down, ITALIAN!
And my favorite food in GENERAL is pizza.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Pizza!!!

And i was wondering...........what are some good alternatives???
Because I feel like i'm going threw withdrawal symptoms man! hahahaha. It's about to be friday........and that's our delivery day! haha And it's so easy to order pizza now, since it takes all of 10 seconds with saved-favorites online!!! haha I NEED SOME GOOD ALTERNATIVESSSS!!

Like, do any companies make healthier pizza, that doesn't taste like total sh*t!??

Thanks for any responses!!!
<33

xoxoxo
*~ Violet ~*

Last edited by 0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0; 01-22-2010 at 10:32 PM.
0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I make pita pizza - I lightly toast a whole wheat pita, and then top with some low fat, no HFCS pizza sauce and Kraft 2% mozzarella. Bake for 5-8 minutes and yummy!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #3  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I've heard of mini pizza's on english muffins too!

I know that Pizza Pizza here as some healthy alternatives, you can order a completely customized pizza, even with whole wheat thin crust, and put any toppings on it, you don't even have to get the traditional pizza sauce, you can get pesto sauce, and you can get chicken, broccoli, peppers etc. on it, so it's easy to make a somewhat healthier pizza than traditional. I've never tried it, but it's probably good!
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/157.2/140

I too am a pizzaholic. I have found Lean Pockets Pepperoni Pizza (290 calories) takes the craving away. MMMMMM ...yummy.
expatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #5  
Lamest Loner Around

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutsMom704 View Post
I make pita pizza - I lightly toast a whole wheat pita, and then top with some low fat, no HFCS pizza sauce and Kraft 2% mozzarella. Bake for 5-8 minutes and yummy!
Oh dur! I so forgot about using pita!!! And whole wheat is always healthier!! I wonder if using basil pesto sauce is healthy??? if not, maybe they have a low-fat basil pesto sauce on the market now!! Thanks for reminding me of that great 1!! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie14 View Post
I've heard of mini pizza's on english muffins too!

I know that Pizza Pizza here as some healthy alternatives, you can order a completely customized pizza, even with whole wheat thin crust, and put any toppings on it, you don't even have to get the traditional pizza sauce, you can get pesto sauce, and you can get chicken, broccoli, peppers etc. on it, so it's easy to make a somewhat healthier pizza than traditional. I've never tried it, but it's probably good!
oo I love english muffins!!! I've never heard of that one, i'll think i'll try it for sure and report back! Thanks for that idea!! And Pizza Pizza? Never heard of em.......i tried to google them but got nothin =[ - We have a gourmet pizza restaurant here though, that's fantastic..........i should look and see if they have healthier crust/cheeses!! It's a little pricey though.........BUT WORTH IT!

xoxoxo
*~ Violet ~*
<3
Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #6  
Lamest Loner Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatlady View Post
I too am a pizzaholic. I have found Lean Pockets Pepperoni Pizza (290 calories) takes the craving away. MMMMMM ...yummy.

Man, i use to LOVE eating hot pockets! I should look into those again.........do they have Cheese ones though?? I don't eat meat any more! =D
Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #7  
for your health!

Height: 5'1"

lean cuisine has good pizzas! i like the spinach and mushroom one, but they also have a bbq one and a chicken garlic. i'm pretty sure they are all under 400 calories.

i like them and i'm pretty picky about my pizza considering i bartend at mellow mushroom (best pizza ever)!
punchthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #8  
Lamest Loner Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchthekeys View Post
lean cuisine has good pizzas! i like the spinach and mushroom one, but they also have a bbq one and a chicken garlic. i'm pretty sure they are all under 400 calories.

i like them and i'm pretty picky about my pizza considering i bartend at mellow mushroom (best pizza ever)!
Oh i've heard mellow mushroom's pizza is insanely good!! =O I'm going to have to wait to taste it tho since i just started my new diet plan =[ I'll look into lean cuisine tho! i had no idea they made pizzas too!

xoxoxo
*~ Violet ~*
<3
Old 01-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #9  
Wandervogel

S/C/G: 241/214.5/150

Height: 5'4

I agree - Pepperoni Lean Pockets are totally the bomb, but half of a whole grain bagel toasted, spread with a little sauce, topped with cheese and broiled sometimes cuts it for me too!
Raichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #10  
Workin' It

Mellow Mushroom is fantastic, but definitely one to save for a planned high calorie day.

I've done the cheese and sauce on an english muffin thing, homemade pita pizza thing, pizza toppings on a bagel. All good. My favorite lately has been the Flat Out Light Italian loaves (90 cals) with a little sauce, some 2% italian cheese blend, turkey pepperoni, grilled chicken or turkey strips, then whatever veggies I'm feeling (red pepper, olives, mushrooms, broccoli, spinach all good) topped with lots of spices and baked in the oven for 20 minutes or so. Yummy.

The Lean Pockets are good, but high in sodium so watch out for that.

ETA: Kashi has a good frozen pizza now, actually.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 01-23-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I actually take pita bread and cut it in half, so that I am left with two large circles, which saves calories. I then use FF marinara sauce, a sprinkling of shredded part skim mozzarella, sliced onions, peppers and bake in the oven. I supplement it with a LARGE salad.

As far as your cravings in general, I see that you have just started out.Give them a chance to subside. Don't give into those cravings, you're an adult, just because you want something doesn't mean you HAVE to have it, and watch those cravings cease. It was a miracle for me, something that I didn't expect and oh so wonderful. Give it some time, hang tough, push through that initial discomfort of making change, and I'm certain your cravings for the high calorie foods will greatly dry up. Make sure to have low calorie, healthy options on hand - at all times.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #12  

Height: 5'6"

We have pizza every Friday night in my house. I make vegan garlic naan, grill it then freeze it. It makes seriously tasty crust for pizza. DH puts cheese on his, I load mine up with veggies and hot peppers. We each have a huge salad and an individual pizza. It *feels* like cheat food, satisfies my cravings for junk, makes DH happy cause it's the one time he gets dairy, and is well within my calorie budget. It also takes less time than waiting for gross delivery pizza, and gives us time in the kitchen together.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #13  

If I order pizza from a restaurant, I order thin crust, extra sauce, vegetable toppings, and light cheese. A friend of mine orders her pizza with NO cheese. I'm not ready to take that step, but it is something to consider.

I'm glad I don't live near a Mellow Mushroom restaurant, or I'd be sabotaging my diet tonight!

I like RR's idea of supplementing with a large salad!
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 188/183/145

Height: 5"4

Definitely try making it on your own!

I grew up in an Italian home so no pizza pockets and pizza was rarely ordered! We always made our own, but now I've changed recipes around so it's a little healthier!

I use the recipes in the Clean Eating Magazines (my favorite mag right now!) and they have the BEST pizza recipes, and everything is clean, low fat, low cal, etc. So good, you should try the BBQ Chicken Pizza from the last issue. It's insanely good!
mandymic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #15  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

I too love pizza! My kids and husband want it weekly and with me being in school 3 nights a week it pretty convenient for them when I can't cook. I have recently ordered the new Domino's pizza and have to say it was fantastic!!! I got a medium thin crust with mushroom and pepperoni and it had 174 calories a slice. I made a nice salad before the pizza came and ate that then had just my two slices and it was great. My kids finished off the other portion so no leftovers. If you check their online nutritional guide it will tell you how many calories are in a slice of whatever kind you want. I know it's not whole grain and not that good for you but for me this is lifestyle change and I would never be able to completely quit delivery pizza.

DiGiorno has a new 200 calorie microwave pizza out that is really good. I have seen a pepperoni, chicken breast w/ onion and peppers and a cheese and tomato. I have tried the pepperoni and chicken ones and they are pretty good. The crust is nice and thin and the sauce is really good. I don't like the french bread pizzas because the sauce it a little to strong for me. I'm a light sauce kinda gal.

So in my opinion ordering out pizza would work as well as long as one is mindful with their portion size and able to accompany it with a salad.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote