Old 01-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #1  
Shelly

S/C/G: 124/Check Ticker/110

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Default I fell off the wagon... again!

I am just having the hardest time getting myself back on the wagon! I was doing well when I was working in town, but as soon as I started travelling for work again last week all I have done is eat junk! I thought I was doing good again this week, but I just ate a bag of chocolates in two days. Ugh! Does anyone else travel for work? How do you stay on track?
beachbabe8406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/202/150

Height: 5'4

I am actually a delivery driver. I don't "travel", but I am in my car 12 hours a day so I understand the basic of it. It is really hard. I just make sure to pack my lunch and snack bags filled with easy things to store and eat.
minijaxgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #3  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

I don't drive for work, but I do drive 3hrs away for my daughter's appointments at least once a month. Sounds trivial but when you're away from home for 10-12hrs and the only thing around you is fast food, I totally get what you mean. I always pack a lunch and healthy snacks. Sandwhiches are great for me. I could live off sandwhiches, yogurt, and special k bars.
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #4  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I don't travel for work but Saturday's are our errand days. We are usually gone from 10am -7pm in and out of stores with the baby and to avoid eating fast food I pack lunch for everyone as well as snacks. So it's like I'm packing for a trip.

We are home today because it's cold and I wanted to wait til it warmed up a little. But we will be packed and ready to go about 2 and back home for dinner.

You can do this. Find some low cal snacks and you will be fine.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:32 AM   #5  

beachbabe,

Wow can I relate. I travel a ton for work, always on expense account, always taking clients out to eat, etc.

I knew when I started this journey this was going to be the single most difficult area to tackle for me.

I've posted a fair bit about this in the thread I keep up, so I'll direct you there if you want to read details.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...g-tracker.html

But I'm focusing on the following changes that I think are actually workable...

1a. Continue to calorie count everything when I travel even though it involves more guesstimates and is sometimes painful (including the time I had a wrap at a restaurant to later find out it was 900 calories!)

1b. Always have a couple of meal bars, healthy snacks in my briefcase.

2. Any trip longer than 2 days, do my best to get a hotel with a fridge, and go to the grocery store on my way in from the airport.

3. When eating out at a real restaurant, always have a salad to start with (instead of fried or creamy soup), and choose a protein and veggie dish, never do a dish with a carb as the base (like pasta). Always substitute a starchy side for a veggie side.

4. Never ever order pizza or chinese to my hotel room (huge personal weakness)...

5. Always go to the hotel gym before dinner for ANY length of time (I am not a morning exerciser)...

So those are the specific behaviors I've targeted that I've been working on with a good deal of success so far. Still have a long ways to go though.

I've also found the following "casual" line to work well when the inevitable where do you want to eat for lunch discussion happens...

"You know, I'm not picky, but would love something light otherwise I'll be nodding off in here all afternoon."
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #6  
Shelly

S/C/G: 124/Check Ticker/110

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Thanks for the advice! Randomcards - I think I will try to incorporate your goals into my life! I am also a sucker for ordering things to my room. It's so easy to overeat or eat junk when there is nobody there to see me! I think today I am officially back on track. Yesterday was another loss since I went to a wedding and couldn't control my urges for the free beer or wedding cake. Oh well... today is a brand new day!
beachbabe8406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

I don't have any advice to add, but wanted to say, one of my favorite sayings has always been, it's not how many times you fall down, it's how many times you get back up!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #8  
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

I only have to "go in" to work one day a week but I always forget a lunch. (long story) Anyway I print out the calorie info for various restaurants, even if they are not near me. I have a book that I keep them in. I am wanting to transfer it to something smaller but it is always with me when I leave. This allows me to know what they have just in case it is not my choice, since some of my co-workers say lets go to ...
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #9  

[QUOTE=beachbabe8406;3113710]I am also a sucker for ordering things to my room. It's so easy to overeat or eat junk when there is nobody there to see me! [\QUOTE]

Amen! I can't tell you how many times I've wolfing away literally a large pizza solo in my room when I thought about how embarrassing it was if someone saw me...
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #10  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Just a thought, but how about getting a little dvd player and pack a couple of exercise videos in case there is no gym at the hotel?
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote