Old 01-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 404.4/404.4/???

Height: 5'8"

Default I need help.

I am 29 years old and I weigh a LOT. If I had to guess (I haven't been weighed in a long long time) I would say it's probably about 450 pounds. I, like so many people, turn to food for comfort in hard and stressful times. I don't want to whine or complain and share too much info here and annoy someone... so I won't. I'll just say that I've had to deal with two really traumatic things. And I just know that I need help...I need a support system because I do not have one. People in my life seem to think that being cruel to me or making mean comments about my weight are gonna help me. But that just makes it worse. I am glad to have found this place. It seems like a lot of supporting is going on here

I look forward to getting to know you all and hopefully being a support to others as well as receiving support.
pinkandsparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 372/224/186

Height: 5'7

I am pretty new here but so far I really like it here, I hope you find what you need here and best of luck in your journey!
Moxie574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 6"

Welcome! This is a very supporting group and I'm glad you had the courage and took the time and effort to post here. Having support from people who understand is important. It's also important to have accountability from people who understand. Keep posting.

I can relate to turning to food for comfort. I'm a full blown food addict. If I'm down I turn to food. If I want to celebrate I go out to eat. Special occasions? Eat. My favorite thing to do? Not shopping, running or video games; it's going out to eat. With the help of this group and my local TOPS weekly meetings I'm learning better habits and how to deal with food.

Do you have a goal and a plan? If you need help with that we can tell you what's worked for us and help you find whats right for you.

Again, welcome!
chattykathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #4  

welcome , good luck and have an olicious life!

best wishes
AshleyDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #5  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 327.6/321.8/150

Height: 5'7"

Welcome! First, let me say I completely heart your user name! Pink and sparkly things are AWESOME!!

Secondly, honey, if you're looking for support, you have most certainly found it. Jump right in and say whatever you need to say. No one's here to judge you or make fun. Hop on over to the POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS board...you'll find lots of really cool people there, and I don't just say that because I'm one of 'em, either!
lavieboheme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Welcome to the most warm, least judgmental, most helpful site around for dealing with all types of issues related to weight. Many of us are emotional eaters; some have eating disorders; others have underlying psychological issues (raises hand to those 3) in addition to dealing with health problems, metabolic difficulties, family interference (anyone want a mother-in-law?), societal stigmatization - damn I need to stop before I depress myself - in addition to just dealing with how to change our eating and physical activity habits/behavior in our everyday life.

Any way all of that to say, there are so many places here to join in. Be as active as you feel comfortable with. Read for inspiration as well as knowledge. (I've had a down day and been reading a lot trying to get some positivity back). Ask for advice. Lurk. Do whatever is comfortable. Just stick around and know you are welcome.
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:53 AM   #7  

Hi and welcome to 3FC. You have come to the perfect place if your looking for non-judgemental support. This could be the first step in your journey to a happy and healthy lifestyle. I look forward to getting to know you better and as lavieboheme73 (Bo) said, check out the 300+ POSITIVE UPLIFTING thread, it's agreat place to share your thoughts and positive moments.

Later - Learn
learningtoliveagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:17 AM   #8  

Height: 5'2

Ditto to what everyone else said. This is a great place to be. Everyone here understands what you're going through, and we all lean on each other. Looking forward to getting to know you!
ThisYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #9  

I haven't been here very long, but I can tell you that everyone here seems VERY supportive, no matter what you have to say. Welcome to the board and I hope to lose weight with ya!
missyanne24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! I hope to see you around the forums! We are very open and welcoming and come from all walks of life and sizes! Everyone understands, especially us big people, we get it totally. You're welcome to come here for support, just to talk, vent, heck participate in challenges and more.

I can say that these people have helped me a lot. They listen to me whine and moan, they listen to me vent about serious things, they listen to me cheer when I triumph...they give me advise, they give me pushes when I need them. It is a wonderful place and wonderful people. *HUGS*

Hope to see you around! You can do this this! We all can!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Hi, Pink and Sparkly! I love your user name Welcome, and I am so glad you are here! Congratulations on your start on a path that will lead to a healthier and happier you! Everyone here is so wonderful, and so nice, I know you will be so happy you found this site!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #12  
ready to be healthy!

S/C/G: 290/264/170

Height: 5*4

Welcome!!!! I just joined here this week and i can honestly say ITS AMAZING!!!!! I love it here and I think you will too!!! I to am a comfort eater, I also have been through alot of rough situations where eating was the only thing that got me through it. I can completley relate to you! Stay in touch and we can do this together!!!!
**Spreading pound shedding dust on all!!
nikkic718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:41 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 404.4/404.4/???

First of all, thank you all for your responses. I already feel like I'm not alone on this journey. I did better at eating this weekend. Did some exercise. It's hard to do a lot, but as long as I get off my booty and move, that's a good thing, right? I know I'll build up strength and endurance over time.

One thing I have questions about... food. I am on a pretty strict budget (who isn't these days?) and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things that aren't too expensive but don't taste like cardboard. I saw on the Dr. Oz show that he recommends automating your meals and making the food for the week all at once so you don't have to think about it and you just go grab it. I want to find something I can do that with. So any suggestions would be great

Thank you all, again, for your warm welcome. I will be seeing you all around a lot
pinkandsparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkandsparkly View Post
First of all, thank you all for your responses. I already feel like I'm not alone on this journey. I did better at eating this weekend. Did some exercise. It's hard to do a lot, but as long as I get off my booty and move, that's a good thing, right? I know I'll build up strength and endurance over time.

One thing I have questions about... food. I am on a pretty strict budget (who isn't these days?) and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things that aren't too expensive but don't taste like cardboard. I saw on the Dr. Oz show that he recommends automating your meals and making the food for the week all at once so you don't have to think about it and you just go grab it. I want to find something I can do that with. So any suggestions would be great

Thank you all, again, for your warm welcome. I will be seeing you all around a lot
I think that depends on what you eat and what your lifestyle is. For example, I'm a veggie, so I don't eat meat, dairy, eggs, or things like cheese. So, shopping at the supermarket is like too expensive for me as the only real deals are processed foods. I was lucky in that not only do I have plenty of farmers markets around my area, I do have a produce markets as well. I end up spending way less and as an example, I just bought weeks worth of produce for $80 for two people. At my local supermarkets it would have been closer to $150 or $200 just for the produce! Find alternatives that fit your lifestyle and needs. If you are very active, always on the go, find foods that are low in sodium and quick. I will say that the more you prepare yourself, the more you usually save. You can even prepare foods ahead of time and freeze them or just store them in air tight containers.

Today I'm cleaning up my kitchen, working on prepping two heads of cabbage, going to make gazpacho, and other tid-bits that I can easily eat throughout the week. Having a prep day or two can really help! Look around your area and remember, local in season veggies tend to be least expensive. As soon as those farmers markets open, totally take advantage!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #15  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'6

Welcome Pink and Sparkly! You did come to the right spot for great support! This is a great place to find advice or just a lending ear.
erinkman1 is offline   Reply With Quote