South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:50 AM   #1  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Default Bread machine tips and recipes?

I was thinking about trying oat flour in the bread maker and was wondering if anyone else has experience modifying recipes for the bread maker.

Thanks!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Kara - I constantly play with the "recipe" I use. To be honest it's not a recipe so much as a framework. I do find that if I use a good amount of gluten (no, I'm not actually eating my own bread anymore ) I can use (so far) up to 1/3 not gluten flours. I've used oat, brown rice, quinoa and bean flours, and very finely ground cereal mixes. I'm not sure if the gluten is necessary but I think it helps. You do have to check it during the mix cycle because it often needs more flour (sometimes more liquid). I often use this as an excuse to dump in some ground flax.

I'm not baking for children though and Julie will eat whatever I bake
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Thanks, Cyndi. My kids aren't picky, but I'm just wanting to try something new. I love using oat flour, and since wheat can be a trigger for me I would like to come up with something else. I wonder if I can find some xanthan gum around here anywhere...
Old 01-22-2010, 06:25 AM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I've never made gluten free bread but I have made wheat free bread with spelt flour. I actually prefer spelt to wheat - more fiber and tastes great. I'm not playing with gluten free yeast bread recipes. They seem to need simple starches (tapioca, potato...) and I know I'll have problems with them. I've talked a lot to a good friend who bakes and all her recipes include that sort of thing. Luckily I'm not a big bread eater, I usually just ate the first piece when it came out of the oven. If you find something that works Id love to see it.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

I'll let you know.

When Connor was little, he was allergic to wheat, so I have a bit of experience with alternate flours. I never made yeast breads, though, just quick breads.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Kara, does your commissary carry Bob's Red Mill products? They make a Xanthum gum. We love their 10 Grain Bread Mix made in the bread machine, but I had to stop making it so often because it was getting me in trouble.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

We have a few Bob's Red Mill products, but no xanthan gum. It's too bad I thought of this a few days after we got back from the States! I know where I can order some, though.