Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #1  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

Default Fruitatarianism

Pardon me if this has been mentioned before but has anyone ever tried a fruit based diet?
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Whew... I think you may be opening up a can of worms

I am vegan and I've read about raw foods diets and even high fruit raw foods diets and I really don't think they are feasible for anything more than short periods of time. Sure you can live on only fruit and it would be extremely low calorie and thus will probably cause weight loss, but it is really limiting the nutrients you get and increases your potential for nutritional deficiencies.

Sometimes during the summer, I will do periods of high raw foods but really only for a short time and it is more than fruit although it tends to be fruit heavy. I think it is fine for short periods of time but really a well balanced diet is best and all fruit really isn't balanced.

Is there a particular reason you are looking at it?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #3  
Results Are Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Is there a particular reason you are looking at it?
Because the only thing keeping me from being a vegatarian is that I still eat meat...and I don't like to eat a lot of vegetables. But I can chow down on some fruit. When I lay it all out like that it seems to me that I am looking for an easy way out.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #4  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybjones View Post
Because the only thing keeping me from being a vegatarian is that I still eat meat...and I don't like to eat a lot of vegetables. But I can chow down on some fruit. When I lay it all out like that it seems to me that I am looking for an easy way out.
Well you can be a vegetarian without eating a lot of veggies. Do you like beans? Whole grains? What about the veggies you do like?

There is nothing to say that you can't eat a lot of fruit as a vegetarian, I just wouldn't recommend limiting yourself to fruit.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #5  
Results Are Typical

Honestly I don't really want to be a vegetarian it just seems like a no-brainer way to weight loss. I think what I need to do is just start eating fruit like nobody's business and then I won't really want to eat a whole lot of other stuff (read: stuff that's bad for me, not stuff that's good for me). Besides, I live in Hippie Capital, USA. I have to stand up for the carnivors of the world.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #6  
Just Me

Oh if you think Austin is Hippie capital, USA, You've never been to hippie capital USA

As a vegan, I struggle with weight loss so weight loss certainly isn't a no brainer for vegetarians. What is good though is to try to expand the vegetables, whole grains, legumes, etc that you do eat.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #7  
Results Are Typical

Quote:
As a vegan, I struggle with weight loss so weight loss certainly isn't a no brainer for vegetarians.
No kidding? Talk about not knowing how the other half lives.

Quote:
What is good though is to try to expand the vegetables, whole grains, legumes, etc that you do eat.
I think that is my real goal. If I say "I'll only eat this" or "I'll never eat that", I am only setting myself up for failure.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

fwiw, I know LOTS of fat vegetarians.

At the end of the day, it's still going to come down to making good choices (chocolate and ice cream are vegetarian!) and watching how much you eat.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

I read that type of diet can cause you to develop Diabetes, since your sugar is going to be up and down.

I'm already a diabetic so is a no-no for me hehe.

Last edited by Renacer; 01-22-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I have gone on all-fruit diets (in my crash-dieting days), and in my experience, they have a most unpleasant side effect, diarrhea (or something close to it). Needing to stay within 40 feet of a restroom, tends to be rather inconvenient (although more convenient than being caught away from a restroom when you need one).

Every summer I do (incidentally) end up in this condition. I'm not trying to go on an all-fruit diet, but I love summer fruits so much that I often end up spending a much higher percentage of my calories on fruit (and end up having to be more restroom-conscious as a result).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote