Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Default Almond Breeze

It's really good!! I'm so excited because I'm becoming increasingly convinced that cow's milk isn't that great for us but I needed something to put in my raw oats/fruit/nut breakfast. I couldn't find the unsweetened so I just bought the original and it was excellent! A tad sweet but the flavor I really really liked! I'm going to keep looking for the unsweetened too.

How long will it keep in my refrigerator once opened?
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #2  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb

Look on the container. It should have the expiration dates. I prefer this over soy milk although I routinely get both. The chocolate is excellent as well.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

An open container never lasts more than a week at my house (because we love it so much), but I'm sure it would last as long as regular milk in the fridge once opened.

Do you have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods near you? TJ's has the unsweetened and WF's has unsweetened almond milk in the Pacific brand, which I like more than Almond Breeze. Pacific has a richer mouth feel.

Last edited by zenor77; 01-19-2010 at 11:01 AM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #4  

so the expiration date correlates to the date that it's opened? I've always wondered about that, haha!

Thank you Zenor for the suggestions! I don't have a Trader Joe's nearby (and I'm STILL mourning that loss ever since I moved 2 years ago!) But I do live near a whole foods. I'll buy the Pacific Brand next to see how I like it.

I'm just so excited because I HATED soy milk and I was very wary of this but I just LOVE the slightly almondy flavor!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #5  
Workin' It

Most products will say 'use within xxx days of opening' on the container, varies from 7-30 days on most liquids. 6 months for Irish cream. If opened well before the expiration date that might mean that the product will go bad before the actual expiration date. If you keep it well sealed and cooled it will typically last until the date, even if you open if a long before, just keep an eye on it. I've had trouble with the shelf stable almond breeze going bad quickly once I open it, not had the same problem with the refrigerated version.

Don't know if they have Publix grocery stores where you are, but mine recently started carrying the unsweetened in vanilla and chocolate. I saw the vanilla at Kroger this week, too.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I get Almond Breeze unsweetened ....40 calories a serving.!!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #7  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I am newly in love with Almond Breeze too!

I previously drank the Silk soy milk. The thought of drinking cow's milk makes me queasy! I switched to the Almond Breeze because it has fewer calories. The unsweetened 40 calorie a cup one is good (I've used it several times as a milk substitute in cooking), but I'm liking the original 60 calorie a cup one on my cornflakes in the morning! That little bit of sweetness is yummy!
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #8  
Meg

The expiration date is the last date that you should open the carton, not the date that it will stay fresh for after opening. My carton (the one you buy from a shelf, not the dairy case) says "after opening, keep refrigerated and use within 7 - 10 days". I imagine the dairy case cartons keep for about 7 - 10 days after they're opened also.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

This sounds great, but no one in my area sells it
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I get mine at Safeway or Lucky stores and I've also gotten it at small neighborhood groceries.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #11  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

Because almond milk is shelf stable you should be able to order it online...even through amazon.com.

The fun fact about most commercially sold milk (because I work at a health food store) is that the pastuerization process causes slight caramelization of the milk. Raw or lightly pastuerized milk has virtually no taste and a different mouth feel...here in central ohio we have milk from the snowville dairy and it is lightly pastuerized...Folks who hate milk drink that stuff. The milk die-hards drink raw milk (unpastuerized milk) which is difficult to get because unless you find a pet store that sells it or have your own milk cow, it is not declared fit for human use (to prevent what ever organisms pastuerization kills).

Milk (irregardless of how its pastuerized) from grass fed cows will have natural CLAs-conjugated linoleic acid, and omega 3s. sure we could just eat what ever foods are good sources of omega 3s and CLAs, but I like milk
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #12  

I grew up on a dairy farm and we only drank/ate raw milk. It took me years to accept the pasteurized stuff from the grocery stores!

Unfortunately when I read "whole Foods" my brain was thinking "Wegmans" so no, I don't live near a whole foods!

I haven't found the unsweetened in Kings, Weis or A&P. We also have Shop Rite and Stop & Shop and Wegman's in my area so I'll look at those places next. That's pretty much it for grocery store chains around me though. I don't even have a Wal-Mart with food near me
Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Most of the markets around me have almond milk. Some of the regular grocery stores have more 'milks' than my whole foods.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

You can also make your own "milks" with raw nuts, water, and a blender. A bit of salt, vanilla and sweetener are optional. I made cashew milk one time at home. I think it just involved soaking the raw nuts in water overnight and blending it with a vanilla bean. It was so good.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/cashew-milk/

http://www.elanaspantry.com/got-milk/
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #15  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

I love almond milk too, 40kcal a cup. I tried the "Light Silk Soy milk", which has more calories than almond milk, but the soy milk tastes like and looks like muddy water . It was awful. So now I stick with the almond milk, because soy milk is kind of high in calories imo.
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote