Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-20-2010, 04:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/179/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Pre-Op Liquid Diet

Hi all!

I happened across this site by accident when I googled "tips to sticking to lap band liquid diet" haha. And I'm really glad I did! I've been reading through a lot of the posts and I think this will be a great way for me to learn and share during my journey. My two week pre-op diet starts today, and I have been dreading it for almost a week. Lots of people say "how horrible" it was for them, but does anybody have any tips or tricks to help those like me who are just starting? I'm sooo scared that I'll have too many weak moments and eventually give in and eat what I'm not supposed to eat. My nutritionist said that if we don't stick to the liquid diet to shrink our liver, then instead of having the surgery done laparoscopically, the surgeon will have to fully open the abdomen. So yes, I'm very very scared of that (and the extra days I'd have to stay in the hospital because of it) so I'm desperate for ways to ensure that I succeed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I WILL get through this of course, just like so many others, but I'd love to hear from those who've already been through it and might know what I can do to not "suffer" so much.

Thanks everyone! Don't forget to throw me some

Jeefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

Jeefer - first of all, welcome to our little corner of the world. SECOND, what in heavens' name were you doing up so late?????

and third. i didn't have to endure the two weeks of liquids. my doc only wanted me to NOT GAIN WEIGHT. does your doc want you on two meals of liquids and one of food? or is it all liquids? can you have yogurt and protein drinks?

my suggestion would be to be SURE to get enough protein - in whatever form your doc allows. protein will keep you from feeling too hungry, and will help you stay healthy.

i'm sure other smart people will show up and give you a few thoughts. glad you're here!!!!!

and fourth. ummmm. there's no easy way to say this, so i'll just jump in. did your doc say that your liver was large????? i'd be surprised if it is - just because you're 'only' about 100 pounds overweight. don't get me wrong - there are OTHER reasons for the two-week liquid diet, but i'm not sure that an enlarged or fatty liver is yours.

my comments don't really matter - you need to do what your doc wants. i just get annoyed when i have to do things for reasons that don't apply to MY OWN situation.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

My doc said as long as you lose a little weight before surgery (I only lost 1 pound) then your liver should be soft enough to do the surgery. I didnt have to do 2 weeks of liquids, mine wanted me on a low carb diet for 2 weeks before surgery. My liver was perfectly soft enough for the surgery. i did have to do liquids the day before surgery, clear liquids, and that was tough. I also had to drink a whole bottle of magnesium sulfate *shudders*
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #4  

@jiffypop: Thanks for the welcome! As for your question, the 2 weeks is strictly liquids. I can have protein shakes that meet their requirement, like Atkin's shakes, 3 or 4 of them a day. And sugar-free jello, broth, sugar-free popsicles, and that's about all. Every one of us patients have to do this pre-op diet, regardless of which WLS we chose. It's just my surgeon's "way" of doing things, because they have had great success with it. It's easier for him to get to the stomach since the liver will be shrunk more, and they have far less post-op problems. I have to say, today was pretty bad for me though. It feels like I'm starving to death just from one day of this liquid diet, lol.

@Duckslove: That would be great! I'd totally love to just stick to my South Beach Diet that I've been on forever. Maybe I can get away with having liquids for breakfast and lunch, then a baked, skinless chicken breast w/veggies for dinner a couple times a week, or whenever it feels like I just have to eat something.

Thanks for the info gals!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

Jeefer - call me cynical, but it sounds like your doc wants to have a single set of instructions to avoid in-office confusion. i think your plan [in your response to Duckslove's post] sounds VERY sensible, especially to get you through the first week of this all-liquids diet. BUT, as you get closer to your surgery date, you really will have to go to all-liquids.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5.5"

I had to do a week long liquid diet......for that liver shrinking reason too.
I was a horrible week but I promise if it isn't for shrinking your liver it is to prepare you for the first few weeks post surgery.

Good luck on your adventure!

mgf~
MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #7  

@jiffypop: I think you're right about their "single set of instructions", and I'll make sure to do liquids-only the last week for sure. So far I've stuck to it, except for 1 serving of fat-free chicken lunch meat today, which was only 80 calories, lol. I just HAD to have something in my stomach! I'm being a good girl though.

@MyGirlFriday: Be glad it was only for a week! And you're right, it's good practice for after surgery, so that's a positive note. Thanks for the good luck wishes!

Last edited by Jeefer; 01-21-2010 at 09:21 PM.