Old 01-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #1  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Default Can I Really Do This?

After my post on Sunday "I Ran" when I did my first property 1min run on the treadmill at the gym, today I went for my gym review and made the HUGE mistake of telling my gym instructor that I had run and wanted to try to do more
SO, he has done my review and altered things around a little. The main thing being that today I ran again, doing three 1min runs with 1min in between each! The third 1min, when I got to the last 20 seconds I was really struggling, but I managed it.
So this is now part of my gym programme for the next month/six weeks! He said that once I feel comfortable doing that I can add in more 1min intervals or extend one of the 1mins a bit.
Can I really do this on a long term basis? I was SO excited once I'd done it at the gym today and for a few hours afterwards, but now I'm thinking have I bitten off more than I can chew I'm still obese and unfit compared to people with a normal bmi, and I'm just worried that I'm trying to push myself too far too soon. I really want to do this, I've never run in my life and this for me will prove how far I've come and how determined I am to go all the way, but it's so scary!
Looking at the C25K I see more running overall in week 1 of the plan, but with longer walking breaks in between the running. Does three 1min intervals sound reasonable as a start?
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #2  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Sounds very reasonable to me!

Don't get discouraged... you have come so far! You are getting down to the home stretch to Onederland. Don't sell your efforts short. 'What's worth the prize is always worth the fight..'
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Your body will figure this out, and quick! It's amazing what we're capable of. I know it's really, really hard right now, but in just a few weeks that one minute won't seem so bad and you'll be on here telling us you're ready to increase it. Believe in yourself, because you can do this! If this is something you want, then go for it!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #4  
Starting to lose

S/C/G: 298/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

If you trust in your instructor (I'm assuming that's like a physical trainer here) then I would definitly go for it. Interval training like that is very much like the C25k, and although you think you can't do it, you actually can. Hang in there, this will definitly help you see more of the results you're already seeing, and you'll be to goal that much faster...
shea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Have no fear...

I worked up very quickly to doing 3 minute walk/run intervals for half an hour and I even upped my speed.

I'm in my late forties and up until six months ago it's almost scary how out of shape I was-- I thought I was on the verge of a heart attack.

I'm SURE you can do it!!!!! If I can then anyone can!

Keep us posted!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 402/277/healthy

Height: 5'4"

You're already doing it !!

Be sure you are wearing good, supportive shoes. Maybe even go to a running store and be fitted. Sorry, I know you didn't ask for the advice. It's just that I've had 2 knee replacemnts and know (IMHO) how very important the right shoes are to preventing injury.
bluebutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #7  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

You can absolutely do it. Keep pushing yourself!
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I too think you can do it. Get good shoes, an excellent sports bra and trust in your trainer.

You're doing so well, just keep believing in yourself. You'll be a runner before you know it
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

You can do this!!!!! You already have done it, so just keep on. Talk with your instructor if you feel that you absolutely are pushing yourself to far, but don't worry because it seems like you are doing great. Take your time working up to more length to your time if you don't want to overexert yourself, but honestly I think you can do it! Congrats on running, just think in no time you will be running all the time!!!!!!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:13 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

You are a runner now--of course you can do this! You are basically running HIIT right now. Watch out--it's a power booster and melts away the fat like no other! Congratulations! So exciting!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

You can do it! The only thing stopping you is you. The more you do it, the easier it will get. Just listen to your body. If you think you are doing too much, cut one of the minutes out until you feel better. JUST DON'T STOP!!!

You can do it chick!

Last edited by S.A.S.H; 01-20-2010 at 01:28 PM.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #12  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

What you have outlined all seems very reasonable! Great job on the running! It's so much fun isn't it
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

that's great! keep on going!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #14  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

I have been in your shoes , one year ago without the help of trainer and gym I began running also. It was something I had never done before and was I kept thinking to myself I am still too large to run but I kept building up in small amounts. By summer time I was doing fast walking with periods of running in my neighborhood (in front of people!!) and now I don't think twice about it. It can be done and you seem to be doing it the proper way with slowly building up. Keep up the good work!
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #15  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks for all the encouragement ladies, I really appreciate it.
I'm pleased to say that I went to the gym this morning and did my three 1min intervals of running again! The first minute seemed quite easy, the second the last 10secs were really hard, and the third the last 20secs were a killer, but I did it!
I still can't quite believe I'm running, but I guess I really am now, and hopefully it will get easier the more often I do it.
I'm going to get fitted for some proper running shoes hopefully in the next week or so as I've heard they make a big difference and help prevent injury.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote