Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 11:46 PM   #1  

Default Hi, may I join you?

Hi there,

I was wondering if I could join you? I've read some of your posts and you all see so supportive and realisitc.

I live just outside of Boston. I'm 43. I've been married for15 1/2 years and have two young children (ages 6 and 3 1/2). I've been heavy all my life, despite the fact that I was very active in my teens and 20s. I was about 30lbs overweight when I graduated high school yet I was a figure skater (not a very good one -- lol) on the ice 12+ hours a week, I actually ENJOYED phys ed class and during the warmer months I'd bike ride for exercise BEFORE school.

I am now at the heaviest I've ever been, about 130 pounds overweight --- eek!!! It's just sort of crept on, a little each year. I can't blame having kids for it ... my oldest is adopted and my 2nd a biological surprise ... and 6 weeks after I had her I was 22 lbs lighter than when I became pg. eeek!! But, that's all back now.

I'm not as active as I used to be but I did a lot of walking last year ... I work in a very hilly section of town and walked hills for 45 mins to an hour most weekdays. I didn't lose any weight, but I got conditioned enough to do a 20 mile charity walk last May!!! The walking subsided when the workload got heavy and the weather lousy ... we've had lots more snow than usual this year and it's only January 4th!

I'm always seen myself as 'fat'. At 150 lbs, I was convinced I was HUGE ... now, at much more than that, emotionally, I FEEL the same (but needless to say my clothes have gotten bigger -- ) And when I see photos of myself I'm shocked and not pleased with what I see. I've always been self-confident and outgoing. I've never let my weight prevent me from doing the things I want to do ... until recently. The last time I went skiing was before my oldest child arrived (about 50 lbs ago) ... now that my kids are old enough to learn to ski, I'm really afraid to. Afraid of what it will do to my knees. Afraid of what I'll look like on the mountain. This has NEVER happened to me before so it's time to get serious about weight loss!

I've done many diets over the years and the one I had the most success with was the 1970's version of Weight Watchers. It restricted carbs ... in particular it restricted STARCH to 2 slices of bread a day, no cereal, no rice, no pasta, no potatoes. So, after reading all the latest stuff, I'm trying a low carb plan and like half the world I started Jan 2. I'm doing it on my own, and right now am keeping a journal as well as a food diary. I hope that in a few weeks I'll establish a habit and be able to drop the food diary, but I find the journal helps.

AND ... I think this forum will help. It will be nice to know that somebody might actually READ what I write and it may give me the incentive I need to stick-to-it.

Sorry this is so long ... If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. I look forward to "meeting" all of you.

Thanks,
Old 01-05-2003, 01:01 AM   #2  

Hi Steph,
Welcome! I am sure you will find lots of support here! We all kind of follow our own eating plans, but we can definitely all relate to the struggle! Please post often! It's great to meet you!

Nicole
272/272/160
Old 01-05-2003, 03:30 AM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Of course you can join us! Welcome!
Old 01-05-2003, 11:12 AM   #4  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default welcome!

welcome Steph!!!

We would love to add you to our friendly group. I understand what you mean about exercising when younger and enjoying it. I used to downhill race until I was 14. I did it 3 days a week - basicly exercising 8 hours a day - I loved it! I want that feeling back. Maybe not 8 hours a day - but I want to WANT to exercise because it's fun.

All the best on your jouney. Post here often - it's the best support system around!!!!

Dana
Old 01-05-2003, 11:59 AM   #5  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Ditto here on the exercise - I used to work out six or seven days a week at the gym, plus mountain bike and run. I miss it.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:10 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

steph... that 70's WW plan was also the only one that EVER worked for me! once they started allowing extra carbs, and a wider variety of them, i didn't lose a pound.

and after jeanne nieditch sold it to heinz, things got even worse. in fact, i used to think that it was just a gigantic money making scheme. a couple of weeks ago, someone told me that WW has an overall record of about 7% weight loss. not sure it's true, but it's an interesting idea.

so, all this to say WELCOME ABOARD!!!! glad to have you.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:00 AM   #7  

Good to have you here! Sounds like you're on the right track doing the low-carb thing, especially since you lost weight on the old WW plan ...

I did a lot of walking a couple of years back and it didn't help me lose weight either (didn't help that I was following low-fat eating, which doesn't work for me). I have found lifting weights to be a godsend for me. You might consider doing some -- it will build your muscles, boost your metabolism ... and help get you strong so you can hit the slopes! (I know just what you mean, I wouldn't DARE get on a pair of skis at this size)

Pen
265/220/150ish
Old 01-06-2003, 09:46 AM   #8  

Hi Steph and Welcome! Best wishes along your journey to the new you! Hope to see you often...

Closed Thread