Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #1  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Default Geez, the things some people say..

I don't know if this is the right section for this, but I just had to rant!

Since I've started my routine to lose weight, and sharing it with others, the things that come out of people's mouths are downright riddiculous.

What had me thinking this was a comment made to me last week that I already posted in another thread, and one I have received tonight.

One of my co-workers is about as big as I am. This is what I know:

-She is not adamant to lose weight, but I believe she wants to.
-She goes to the gym sporadically (example being once last week, twice this week, not at all next week).
-I barely see her eat when she is at work, I don't know what she has at home.
-She claims she's lost over 40lbs already, yet I don't see it, so I'm not sure
-Tonight she told me she hasn't been exercising at all and ate McDonald's and is shedding pounds (wha?)

So, we are chatting at lunch and I start mentioning how I lost 2 more pounds and that I am starting to drink a ton of water to shed water weight and sodium.

She says "Well, the more you start obsessing about it is when you will end up failing and gain it back"

Does this not make you go 'HUH?' I am not really seeing the logic in here. I am sure you all know why.

Really, I've heard a lot of weird things in the past week, but this was just took the cake (and is the most recent one I remember).
Especially this coming from a person who could give a rats behind if she loses weight or not. GRR!!!

If she really is shedding pounds by doing nothing, that just makes me all the more angry.

/end rant

If any of you had some or heard some strange comments before, please share.

Last edited by schubunny; 01-19-2010 at 08:40 PM.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: 193/184.5/147

Height: 5'7

She's jealous of you and doesn't like you talking about your weight loss success because it makes her feel guilty that she's eating crap and not exercising.
CardboardCutoutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #3  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardboardCutoutCat View Post
She's jealous of you and doesn't like you talking about your weight loss success because it makes her feel guilty that she's eating crap and not exercising.
She claims she is losing weight and doing nothing, if it's true she shouldn't be jealous. Unless she is making it up to try and make me jealous (which is kinda working lol)
Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #4  
Sarah

S/C/G: 193/184.5/147

Yeah she's totally making that up. 40lbs is very signifcant.. you would definitely notice that much weight coming off someone

Last edited by CardboardCutoutCat; 01-19-2010 at 08:49 PM.
CardboardCutoutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #5  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

'Smile and nod' and move on. If she is trying to make you jealous that's a little childish on her part, and not worth your getting upset {or jealous over}. I agree with CCCat, she is jealous of your success, and she's trying to sabatage your efforts. I'd stick to talking about the weather or work with her.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #6  
One Day

S/C/G: 148/128

Height: 5'2

Default I can relate to this...big time!

Been there sooooooooo many times and always in the workplace. I worked with a woman who was significantly overweight, was jealous of me (a whole other talk show) and when I was dieting (again!) she would come in with a double double coffee and a big *** donut for me...yep, sitting there on my desk when I got to work! How sweet. Then she would bring in all her used clothing that she was getting rid of (which was most likely 2 sizes bigger than me) and would say "Here I brought these in for you. They're too big for me now...hope they fit". It was like a scene out of Seinfeld at least twice a week with this freak! The best thing I did was lose the weight - then she REALLY couldn't stand me! I relate to this kind of crap on so many levels. McDonalds and weight loss is an oxymoron...and she's just a moron! Stay on your diet and kick that nasty piece of work to the curb! She's not worth your time of day.
oneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #7  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneday View Post
Been there sooooooooo many times and always in the workplace. I worked with a woman who was significantly overweight, was jealous of me (a whole other talk show) and when I was dieting (again!) she would come in with a double double coffee and a big *** donut for me...yep, sitting there on my desk when I got to work! How sweet. Then she would bring in all her used clothing that she was getting rid of (which was most likely 2 sizes bigger than me) and would say "Here I brought these in for you. They're too big for me now...hope they fit". It was like a scene out of Seinfeld at least twice a week with this freak! The best thing I did was lose the weight - then she REALLY couldn't stand me! I relate to this kind of crap on so many levels. McDonalds and weight loss is an oxymoron...and she's just a moron! Stay on your diet and kick that nasty piece of work to the curb! She's not worth your time of day.
Wow that's crazy, she'd actually go out of her way to bring you food and clothes and all that? I give you a huge thumbs up for sticking to your weight loss and ignoring that woman.

Thing is, this co-worker is a friend, and while she is not a bad person at all and is not mean, she just makes strange comments like that. I like to shrug them off, but then what people say get the brain gears rolling and in the end I end up wondering what is true and untrue -if I should be resentful or passive. I wind up feeling irritated.

I found her quote funny, because obviously you need to work hard to lose weight, and you DO need to think about it almost constantly especially if you're counting calories -almost obsessively.
I found in the past when I tried to lose weight, I would yo-yo if I DIDN'T think about it. Maybe some people are different?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

This is passive aggressive and probably not nice, but if she says again that she's not exercising and eating McDs every day and not loosing weight, I'd get Really Concerned. "Forty pounds?!" I'd say "Wow. That's not healthy if you aren't doing anything. You need to see your doctor . . .could be diabetes, a problem with your thyroid . . .when that happened to my mom's best friend from college, it turned out to be cancer . . .have you had a mammogram this year?" If I were a really Not Nice person, I'd continue to nag her about it "Have you seen the doctor about that weight loss? Seriously. I'm worried about you." If I were a really, really not nice person, I'd nag her in front of other people.

Now then, if she really has lost 40 lbs but it isn't showing anywhere AND she isn't doing anything, she really should see a doctor. If she really hasn't lost quite forty lbs (i.e., more like 10), she may admit that she was being hyperbolic.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #9  
the aly bagel

Oh I frogot this, this will give you guys a bit of a chuckle.

She claims that (when) she goes to the gym, she goes for 4 hours. Shouldn't that mean you would be in great shape? I only go for an hour and a half (45 cardio, 15 mins aprox weights) and I can do a lot more activities.

Well, it makes me wonder then why she is panting so hard after she comes walking up a flight of stairs that she sounds like she is going to die. Eeesh...
Old 01-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #10  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
This is passive aggressive and probably not nice, but if she says again that she's not exercising and eating McDs every day and not loosing weight, I'd get Really Concerned. "Forty pounds?!" I'd say "Wow. That's not healthy if you aren't doing anything. You need to see your doctor . . .could be diabetes, a problem with your thyroid . . .when that happened to my mom's best friend from college, it turned out to be cancer . . .have you had a mammogram this year?" If I were a really Not Nice person, I'd continue to nag her about it "Have you seen the doctor about that weight loss? Seriously. I'm worried about you." If I were a really, really not nice person, I'd nag her in front of other people.

Now then, if she really has lost 40 lbs but it isn't showing anywhere AND she isn't doing anything, she really should see a doctor. If she really hasn't lost quite forty lbs (i.e., more like 10), she may admit that she was being hyperbolic.

LOL Schmead, those are some good ones. Though it's scary to think maybe she does have a medical issue and doesn't know.

It looks like she's lost weight on her stomach, but it is far from 40lbs. There doesn't appear to be any significant difference from the first time I saw her. Of course this is hard to tell when you see someone every day, but my mother lost a ton of weight (at least 30lbs) and she shrunk like crazy.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/179/130

Height: 5' 6"

I decided I will NOT give weight loss advice to anyone until I have figured this out myself and can honestly say that I did it, it worked and I kept it off. I know a lot of stuff, but since I'm overweight i clearly haven't applied it! So I would just smile and nod and if what you're doing is working for you, then keep on doing it!
SkinnyK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #12  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyK10 View Post
I decided I will NOT give weight loss advice to anyone until I have figured this out myself and can honestly say that I did it, it worked and I kept it off. I know a lot of stuff, but since I'm overweight i clearly haven't applied it! So I would just smile and nod and if what you're doing is working for you, then keep on doing it!
True that! I feel the same way. For now all I can do is go by what I've read and what others are going thru say have worked.

It seems to be working for me so far, I am hoping it will keep going down and down and down....
Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Must be something about this week.

My best friend accused me of becoming a 'crazy obsessive dieter" because a scooped the inside of my bun out before I made a sandwich. This was right after she declared she was "over" the whole losing weight thing because her new boyfriend said she was sexy so getting healthy is just a waste of her time. Then she ate roman noodles and mashed potatoes for lunch and explained to me that even though she ate crap she wasn't gaining any weight so it was no big deal.

People have been saying all kinds of weird things to me lately. Mostly they seem to be interested in justifying their eating habits to me...like I care what someone else eats???
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

uh....ok...maybe I just see this from a possible other perspective.

1) Maybe she HAS lost 40 lbs. The number of times we have had people on here wail that they have lost a significant amount of weight and no one notices is high. If you see her every day at work and she is still a large girl 40 lbs may not be that significant. And did she say 40 lbs in any specific time frame? You dont notice gradual change. I have regained 30 lbs and I am a lot smaller and my closest friends say they cant see it because I wear clothes that fit and I dont gain weight in my face.

2) It is not the choice I would make for myself but you CAN lose weight eating at McDonalds. Does she say she eats there every meal? Not the healthiest, but it is still possible. Compared to other restaurants the portion sizes are usually smaller and the nutritional information is readily available. I lost 60 lbs while occasionally eating at McDonalds (2-3 times a month)- its a good place for my kids to play when it is raining.

3) There are many people here who have lost significant weight without exercise. Again not my choice, but it is possible

4) Calorie counting and obsessing works for you. It may NOT work for her. Maybe her comment on obsession is based from personal experience in that when she obsesses she struggles. Maybe she has learned NOT to obsess and instead to make small changes that she can live with over time. My sister goes from calorie counting to bulemia and I struggle with that myself. Obsession is a fine line for many people.

5)You DONT know what she is eating at home. Maybe interspersed with her occasional McD's is perfectly fine eating

To assume that she is being jealous or passive aggressive is a pretty big assumption. Maybe for her lifetime of diet struggle, obsessing over diet is the absolute worst thing she can do. Maybe what she is writing on some other board tonight is "Gee there is this girl at work who will not shut up about weight loss and what she is doing and why she is doing it. I am really afraid that if I keep listening to her I will slip into my old obsessive ways. How can I tactfully tell her to stop talking to me about it?"

Or maybe she is a jealous passive agressive coworker. My point is there is no way to know. Clearly interacting with her on the subject of weight loss is not productive for YOUR journey in which case the only route regardless of her motive is to just not talk about it with her.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #15  

Height: 5'11"

Hmmmm. Well, to be devil's advocate here.....depending on a person's starting weight, it's totally possible for a 40 pound loss to not be easily observable. I've seen more than one person post here that they've lost that amount and no one notices. Also, it's entirely possible for an occasional McDonald's meal to be part of one's meal plan and still allow them to lose weight. I know this because I've lost 55 lbs while still going out for a mini pizza once a week.

So she may be full of baloney, but she could also be completely truthful. Either way, I would just continue to share with her when she asks how your weight loss is going and maybe just try to focus on the other aspects of her friendship that you enjoy the rest of the time!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote