South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default soaking steel cut oats

Hey everyone,
I'll be starting Phase 1.5 on Friday and I'm wondering how I will incorporate grains. I had originally intended to start by adding one apple a day, but since I've been a little backed up (even with the metamucil) I think I'll start with grains. Now - grains are a real trigger for me, even something healthy like brown rice or quinoa. Seriously, I could eat three cups of each of those at one sitting. However, oatmeal is not a real favorite of mine so I'm thinking of adding oatmeal.

Two questions - I see some post about soaking steel cut oats. I would like to soak my oats in skim milk so I can combine those two groups into one. How do I do this? Also, how much constitutes a serving? I'll be "soaking" individual servings probably. TIA,
Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Hey, I was going to ask the same thing! Why do people soak them...is it for ease? Better taste?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/140/120

Height: 5'2"

I think it just absorbs a lot more into the grain if they are soaked vs just cooking them over the stove for 20 minutes or whatever. i totally cheat and microwave them (I kind of suck at preparation!!)...i just set it for a few minutes at a time and check on it but i know this is not getting the full benefit of the oats. that being said, i still notice a difference between the quality of them vs. dehyrated instant oatmeal. steel cut oats are superior but do need a pinch of salt and some sweetener if not other additives...but nevertheless are very filling! i may try soaking them some time just to see how it differs.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

My husband's a nut for steel cut oats and he makes them every morning. I like them, but I'm not a oatmeal girl... This is his recipe:

1/3 c. steel cut oats
1 c. boiling water
1 tablespoon milk
small pat butter

Brown the oats in a pan with the butter. As soon as you start the oats, put the water on to boil in another pan. Keep stiring the oats and when the water comes to a boil (it should take no more than a minute or so with just one cup of water) pour it in the pan with the oats. It should steam and hiss and spit. Let them cook down for about 10 minutes and when they get to about the consistancy you would want to eat them at, pour the milk in and cook them down a little more.

It's a pretty involved recipe (for everyday breakfast), I like a quick breakfast, so I never get into it, but he does and makes it every day.

Have fun!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #5  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

The package should tell you how much is a serving size and the amount of liquid to cook them. For a single serving I use 1/4 cup oats and soak them in 1 cup of water (Milk is fine to use...I'm lactose intolerant so no milk for me, lol). I'll add more water in the morning if they're a bit 'thick' but usually 1 cup is enough.

TwynnB - You can cut down the cooking time of steel-cut oats by soaking them overnight.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #6  

Default Soaked in Almond Milk???

I'm glad you asked that question...I noticed on one thread lots of people soak in Almond Milk. If someone could tell me how to do that I would be very grateful. I also looked for almond milk at the store and found on labeled unsweetened and I assume that is the correct one to buy??? Thanks for any help!!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

If you soak them, do you still cook them for any amount of time?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I usually do 3-4 servings at once the night before. I bring 3 cups of water to a boil then pour in 1 cup of dry steel cut oatmeal. I let it come back to a boil, stir it once or twice, remove it from the heat and cover with a tight fitting lid. In the morning I portion it out into 3-4 containers and pop them in the fridge. It takes about one minute to warm up in the morning. I love to add blueberries and sliced almonds or bananas and pecans. Peanut butter is yummy too.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by litar View Post
I noticed on one thread lots of people soak in Almond Milk. If someone could tell me how to do that I would be very grateful. I also looked for almond milk at the store and found on labeled unsweetened and I assume that is the correct one to buy??? Thanks for any help!!
I use Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I've never tried soaking steel-cut oats, but I've seen the directions for how to do it on the box, and it's the same one most of you have described.

I love my regular old fashioned oatmeal soaked overnight in unsweetened almond milk (Almond Breeze). I use skim milk sometimes, too, but the almond milk has 1/2 the calories. Soaking the oats gives them more substance and a denser, chewier consistency. In the morning I either eat it cold, right from the fridge, or warm it up in the microwave for a minute or so. I prefer my oatmeal made this way because I don't care for creamy oatmeal.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #11  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I am going to try soaking them tonight. DH likes steel cut oats more than regular oats, but it is too involved to make before he leaves for school. Soaking and then heating in the morning would be much better.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #12  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I tried the soaking last night. I woke up with a cold, so I didn't get to actually see them before consumed but DH said they were something like an oatmeal soup. Maybe I used too much milk? I 1/3 cup+2 T. of steel cut oats in 1 3/4 cup soy milk. That was the serving size on the package. He did heat them in the micro, but only to get them warm and not actually cook them.

am I doing something wrong, here? he did say they had a good texture, but there was a LOT of liquid left.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I do a 1:3 ratio for overnight soaking. One cup of oats to 3 cups of water. Seems to work well for me.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #14  
greyhoundindy [url=http:/

S/C/G: 179.5/167/140

Height: 5'2"

Below are the directions off the McCann''s box. I've done this before and it works well. I am starting Week 1 Phase 2 monday, and plan on this with splenda and walnuts for breakfast. I can't eat first thing in the morning, so this will be my take to work breakfast along with my V8.

One of the quickest and easiest ways to prepare McCann's Steel Cut Oats is to soak the oats overnight. Before going to bed, boil four cups of water in a pot, add one cup of oatmeal. Simmer 1 minute. Cover pot and store overnight in refrigerator. The next morning cook the oatmeal on low for 9 – 12 minutes; stirring occasionally.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: maintaining

Thanks for sharing that greyh. I buy Quaker and don't remember seeing any overnight info... but I haven't referred to the directions in ages. My neighbor told me she thought some brands were better than others but so far they all seem the same to me. You?
Closed Thread